Outsider's perspective on the current roster FWIW | The Boneyard

Outsider's perspective on the current roster FWIW

Reaction Score
Been a fan and follower since I worked in East Hartford in 1995, have read and followed this forum for too many years to count, but just got around to signing up. A few thoughts, not entirely without merit but sure to be dismissed by the half dozen or so members who genuinely, honestly, truly will feel slighted if they aren't anointed (complete with crown) as Geno's successor when he retires. Kidding. Sort of.

I will also stipulate to being a giant Nika fan. Every team needs that one player who does the dirty work that never shows up in the box score - the energy, the in-your-face relentless defense, the diving for loose balls. So with that, here are a few thoughts that you can proceed to tear apart. :)

• Paige (might as well start there) is a shadow of her pre-injury self. Understandable. Expected. No sense in harkening back to 2020-21 for comparisons. What she IS for the remainder of this season is "very good" with glimpses of "great". She's a no-doubt starter for the swiss army knife set of skills she brings to the lineup, even at less than 100% of her former self.
  • CW is another no-doubt starter for her offense, ability and willingness to drive, her intensity and defense and her clutch shooting. She's carried the team multiple times in her 4 year career, and in the Sweet Sixteen you need players who can do that when the rest of the starters are having an off night. Proven, tested, go-to player.
  • AE (because I'll spell her name wrong) has been indispensable for the latter half of the season to date and a third do-doubt starter. Physical defender and rebounder, switches on defense, can cover multiple positions, and an under-rated midrange shooter. Even the FT's are better. But WTH is with the layups and the at least once per game idiotic foul? She needs to (yes... needs) make gigantic leaps forward in consistency ASAP and definitely before next season.
  • ONO. Oh the potential. She could be a walking triple double if she wanted to be. But as Geno preaches, he demands consistency. He needs to know that a player is going to deliver X-Y-Z on any given night, and there have been too many games with across the board single digit box scores for a 6'5" senior center. Dumb fouls. Standing ON the three point line rather than taking half a step back. Yeah, she probably starts by default, but I'd rather see Dorka play more minutes.
  • Dorka. God I hope she comes back for another year. IMHO she's made the biggest in-season improvements in her game. Runs the floor, switches out high on smaller players, boxes out and rebounds like Barkley, can shoot a 3 with relative accuracy, and if you need her to be a scorer she can be a scorer. Fewer dumb fouls that AE and ONO, never seems to get too high or too low, and happy to take whatever minutes and role that Geno asks.
  • Evina has found her niche off the bench. Don't mess with her, just let her do her thing. Scores if you need it. Facilitates when you need it. Can rebound and play defense at a starter's level. Good shooter, high basketball IQ, a calming presence on the floor that the rest of the team looks up to. The perfect player to have as your 6th Man coming off the bench to lead the second unit.
  • Azzi is soooooooooooooo good and as advertised. If her shot is falling it's as close to automatic as there is in basketball, and they should feed her until her arms fall off. The Sweet 16 is not the time to worry about who's eating and who isn't. Win and move on. Great defense, good rebounder considering the number of outside shots, I think I saw her make an assist (kidding, who cares if she does or not) so I know she can pass. The only question is.... starter or second unit killer. Imagine her against a tired first team that just survived the initial onslaught or against bench players. Yikes.
  • Caroline proved herself this year when it looked like a team out of Hoosiers with only 5.5 able bodies on some nights. Since the head injury she hasn't been the same. No sense pretending that's not true. She can shoot, she can get inside, she's got the reach of a much bigger player, and she's going to be a menace for 3 more years. This isn't her year to be the focus in the Sweet 16. Take what she gives you when she's called upon.
  • Finally Nika. If it was me I'd start her with Paige (plus CW, AE and ONO) and let her be the first sub out at 4 minutes. The intensity off the tip is NEVER the same with and without her in the starting lineup. She drives the ball up the court every single possession.... Paige and Evina walk it up. She sets the tone defensively, she's the voice in every huddle with all 4 other faces riveted on her (even Paige), and she's an absolute menace as an on-the-ball defender. If only the other team had even the tiniest bit of fear that she could score. She improved during the year on her 3 pointers, but no one fears her as a shooter. She doesn't drive unless there's a lane big enough for a plane to land (two FTs all year). I appreciate the pass-first, defense-first mentality but on offense we have 4-on-5 unless it's a break. THAT is why she played 6 minutes in the rock fight with UCF. When points are at a premium, you don't have the luxury of an intangible superstar that no one bothers to guard.

If all the pieces are having their best game, they can win it all this year against anyone. NC State and Stanford scares me most. SC has nights where they don't score.

Reaction Score
So many of your points I felt are awesome. Awesome. Just as a counter to a few though-

What do you think?

1-- I think Liv has a bit more value. However I think I get in a way what you're saying. The poster on here coco can attest to this that I thought (before ofc COVID) that preseason last year that Liv would be about a 3rd team a/a because I felt UCONN would win a lot and she would be the inside focal point. During the Ark game that year early on in that 1 game I did a complete 180. But I accept what she does and she is good enough at it to imo be a plus.

2-- I think the best way to establish your game at the beginning is to play your bets at suitable positions they play from the beginning. As a result, Paige and Azzi over Nika. I love Nika too. I put a thread up a while ago when she was getting bashed "In Defense of Nika Muhl."

3-- I think Paige looks to push the ball upcourt "with purpose" better than Nika. I think immediately Paige looks to make the pass up court as an example which a pass is much faster than a dribble. So many other factors though play into this imo.

4-- I do believe though the inside is the weakness for this team. I think the player that seems to be playing best inside is our soph AE. So our best players are "young" even inside. Teams with balance can cause UCONN big trouble. And I would add SC to the list too. They can still score imo.

I loved your post. And Welcome!!!

Reaction Score
This is a great observation of the players. I would like to see Azzi perfect her short range jumper so she can drive to the basket like CW and the stop & pop. If the team can fix the layup issue we should be good.

Reaction Score
Great post.

I love Nika, but man, if she could score 6-8 a game on average, she would be a completely different threat on top of what she already does. She can shoot the three, but rarely takes anything else. If she could work and get that mid-range in, look out. I really hope Geno has something more for her this off-season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek:@jeff30189 I want to start the ripping apart by addressing the title you chose for this thread. Anyone who has been "a fan and follower since 1995" cannot possibly qualify as an "outsider". Thank you for an excellent well thought out first BY post.
Looking forward to your future post.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that against some teams like Indiana, if Piath and Amari played as many minutes as Liv, Dorka and AE, they could score twice as many points as the 3 latter could combined.
Amari might even be able to block a few shots.
But they probably can't play overall defense as well.
However they could contribute even if they were only allowed to come in and commit some fouls or grab RB's.
Of course Geno would never let that happen.
But I think that they both have their own unique dynamic aspects that should earn them the thrill of playing a couple of NCAAT minutes under the right game circumstances such as with a substantial UConn lead.

It's so sad that most folks here don't even consider them as being full fledged members of the team.
They don't get included in player critiques.
I guess that it would require multiple injuries or foul outs for most fans to even recognize the scoring ability of the UConn bench bigs.
Piath probably wouldn't miss many easy bunnies if any.
Only upper classmen get to do that and still play.
In the end UConn winning is all that matters.
But fair is fair, our bench bigs could save a game mostly with their offensive skills if called upon.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
"Liv could be a walking triple-double if she wanted to." You mean she isn't because she doesn't want to be? Interesting and I am teasing.

I read somewhere that they were 2-12 on makable layups against UCF. I think the layup issue trumps all others moving forward.

I am surprised E not making any all Big East teams didn't earn more outcries from boneyarders. I think she may have been of only two players to appear in every game.

I think the Huskies match up well against all three teams that join them in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
I think we make a mistake giving up in Caroline this year. She’s in Geno’s dog house but a few buckets and good plays change everything. I think she still is a key.

Reaction Score
I start Paige, CW, Azzi. If the opponent’s guards are beating us, Nika off the bench. If we are Struggling, Evina to calm things down. CD if they go small.

I have a different opinion about the bigs. I’ll just say that AE and Dorka wind up with more minutes than ONO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think we make a mistake giving up in Caroline this year. She’s in Geno’s dog house but a few buckets and good plays change everything. I think she still is a key.

Reaction Score
I think that against some teams like Indiana, if Piath and Amari played as many minutes as Liv, Dorka and AE, they could score twice as many points as the 3 latter could combined.
However they could contribute even if they were only allowed to come in and commit some fouls or grab RB's.
But I think that they both have their own unique dynamic aspects that should earn them the thrill of playing a couple of NCAAT minutes under the right game circumstances such as with a substantial UConn lead.

It's so sad that most folks here don't even consider them as being full fledged members of the team.
I guess that it would require multiple injuries or foul outs for most fans to even recognize the scoring ability of the UConn bench bigs.
But fair is fair, our bench bigs could save a game mostly with their offensive skills if called upon.
Agree on bench bigs! Missing bunnies and boxing out for rebounding are some weaknesses need to be fixed. These two bench bigs might provide some value for that matter.

Reaction Score

In regards to the bold - so are you saying because posters don'[t include them in a Boneyard post it means that those posters don't believe they are full-fledged members of the team? Anyone that doesn't think they are full-fledged members imo has a very warped sense of what a team means and what these players mean to each other. This isn't pro ball.

And in regards to the italics, if you want to speak of posts and Boneyarders- you realize if this were to ever happen the next step will be some posters saying "Well how can they be expected to improve with so few minutes in big games? And / or "How can they be expected to improve in these big games if they are playing so few minutes?"

And in regards to the underlined- of course in some games they might be able to help. But the other 9 players ahead of them can help more.

sun

Reaction Score
In regards to the bold -

My post was written tongue in cheek,
They're just my thoughts out loud, but in fact they both did get to play 3 minutes each against Mercer.
I should have said it's "As if they aren't full fledged members of the team..." because many folks here only mention 9 players being in the rotation.
Also worth mentioning is that 2 UConn bigs fouled out last game, and Piath & Amaro aren't exactly the #10 & #11 players in the rotation, because our bench bigs they don't compete for PT against the guards.
If 2 bigs such as Liv & Dorka are forced out of a game, then Amari & Piath are next in line to play behind AE while guards will still be sitting on the bench.

That's why I mention that even if they only enter the game for a few minutes in order to relieve the other bigs from getting too many fouls, that could save our starting bigs from fouling out.
Too many fouls can cause our starting bigs to not play their best game and put forth their best effort.
Our bench bigs can be more important then some realize, especially if we lose a tourney game due to our bigs playing with too many fouls.
Not only do some of our bigs not score enough, but they're too afraid to commit fouls then they will play a timid game when we need them to be agressive.
Another problem with our bigs is that they tend to walk too much which creates turnovers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My post was written tongue in cheek,
They're just my thoughts out loud, but in fact they both did get to play 3 minutes each against Mercer.
I should have said it's "As if they aren't full fledged members of the team..." because many folks here only mention 9 players being in the rotation.
Also worth mentioning is that 2 UConn bigs fouled out last game, and Piath & Amaro aren't exactly the #10 & #11 players in the rotation, because our bench bigs they don't compete for PT against the guards.
If 2 bigs such as Liv & Dorka are forced out of a game, then Amari & Piath are next in line to play behind AE while guards will still be sitting on the bench.

That's why I mention that even if they only enter the game for a few minutes in order to relieve the other bigs from getting too many fouls, that could save our starting bigs from fouling out.
Too many fouls can cause our starting bigs to not play their best game and put forth their best effort.
Our bench bigs can be more important then some realize, especially if we lose a tourney game due to our bigs playing with too many fouls.
Not only do some of our bigs not score enough, but they're too afraid to commit fouls then they will play a timid game when we need them to be agressive.
Another problem with our bigs is that they tend to walk too much which creates turnovers.
When you say "tongue-and-cheek" I'm not sure what is serious and what isn't. No biggie.

However, when it comes to Piath and Amari- they are 10th and 11th players. Evina Westbrook played the Four last year and UCONN went to the Final Four. And UCONN wasn't beaten by power teams last year. So Geno/UCONN did what logic dictates and it’s why teams like UCONN keep winning.

As I've mentioned in the past, it's stars that mostly win you big games. And our bench is very good. We played 7 players last game and have been playing 9 and that's been fine. People have to recognize this. It’s why for example last year even Stanford recognized they needed to play their pg for 3 straight tourney game around 40 minutes in each.

That’s why All-Time Great coaches like Geno and Tara continue to do this. Its recognition from Great Coaches that you play your best.

Reaction Score
Been a fan and follower since I worked in East Hartford in 1995, have read and followed this forum for too many years to count, but just got around to signing up. A few thoughts, not entirely without merit but sure to be dismissed by the half dozen or so members who genuinely, honestly, truly will feel slighted if they aren't anointed (complete with crown) as Geno's successor when he retires. Kidding. Sort of.

I will also stipulate to being a giant Nika fan. Every team needs that one player who does the dirty work that never shows up in the box score - the energy, the in-your-face relentless defense, the diving for loose balls. So with that, here are a few thoughts that you can proceed to tear apart. :)

• Paige (might as well start there) is a shadow of her pre-injury self. Understandable. Expected. No sense in harkening back to 2020-21 for comparisons. What she IS for the remainder of this season is "very good" with glimpses of "great". She's a no-doubt starter for the swiss army knife set of skills she brings to the lineup, even at less than 100% of her former self.
  • CW is another no-doubt starter for her offense, ability and willingness to drive, her intensity and defense and her clutch shooting. She's carried the team multiple times in her 4 year career, and in the Sweet Sixteen you need players who can do that when the rest of the starters are having an off night. Proven, tested, go-to player.
  • AE (because I'll spell her name wrong) has been indispensable for the latter half of the season to date and a third do-doubt starter. Physical defender and rebounder, switches on defense, can cover multiple positions, and an under-rated midrange shooter. Even the FT's are better. But WTH is with the layups and the at least once per game idiotic foul? She needs to (yes... needs) make gigantic leaps forward in consistency ASAP and definitely before next season.
  • ONO. Oh the potential. She could be a walking triple double if she wanted to be. But as Geno preaches, he demands consistency. He needs to know that a player is going to deliver X-Y-Z on any given night, and there have been too many games with across the board single digit box scores for a 6'5" senior center. Dumb fouls. Standing ON the three point line rather than taking half a step back. Yeah, she probably starts by default, but I'd rather see Dorka play more minutes.
  • Dorka. God I hope she comes back for another year. IMHO she's made the biggest in-season improvements in her game. Runs the floor, switches out high on smaller players, boxes out and rebounds like Barkley, can shoot a 3 with relative accuracy, and if you need her to be a scorer she can be a scorer. Fewer dumb fouls that AE and ONO, never seems to get too high or too low, and happy to take whatever minutes and role that Geno asks.
  • Evina has found her niche off the bench. Don't mess with her, just let her do her thing. Scores if you need it. Facilitates when you need it. Can rebound and play defense at a starter's level. Good shooter, high basketball IQ, a calming presence on the floor that the rest of the team looks up to. The perfect player to have as your 6th Man coming off the bench to lead the second unit.
  • Azzi is soooooooooooooo good and as advertised. If her shot is falling it's as close to automatic as there is in basketball, and they should feed her until her arms fall off. The Sweet 16 is not the time to worry about who's eating and who isn't. Win and move on. Great defense, good rebounder considering the number of outside shots, I think I saw her make an assist (kidding, who cares if she does or not) so I know she can pass. The only question is.... starter or second unit killer. Imagine her against a tired first team that just survived the initial onslaught or against bench players. Yikes.
  • Caroline proved herself this year when it looked like a team out of Hoosiers with only 5.5 able bodies on some nights. Since the head injury she hasn't been the same. No sense pretending that's not true. She can shoot, she can get inside, she's got the reach of a much bigger player, and she's going to be a menace for 3 more years. This isn't her year to be the focus in the Sweet 16. Take what she gives you when she's called upon.
  • Finally Nika. If it was me I'd start her with Paige (plus CW, AE and ONO) and let her be the first sub out at 4 minutes. The intensity off the tip is NEVER the same with and without her in the starting lineup. She drives the ball up the court every single possession.... Paige and Evina walk it up. She sets the tone defensively, she's the voice in every huddle with all 4 other faces riveted on her (even Paige), and she's an absolute menace as an on-the-ball defender. If only the other team had even the tiniest bit of fear that she could score. She improved during the year on her 3 pointers, but no one fears her as a shooter. She doesn't drive unless there's a lane big enough for a plane to land (two FTs all year). I appreciate the pass-first, defense-first mentality but on offense we have 4-on-5 unless it's a break. THAT is why she played 6 minutes in the rock fight with UCF. When points are at a premium, you don't have the luxury of an intangible superstar that no one bothers to guard.

If all the pieces are having their best game, they can win it all this year against anyone. NC State and Stanford scares me most. SC has nights where they don't score.
Very good commentary on the team as it stands and as they have shown so far re: what they do individually. Our data is, of course, incomplete because we don't see practices. Still, there is enough for us to form opinions. Regardless, Coach who sees far more than we do, knows more. To that end, his evaluations are better founded than ours. But, of course, he is not infallible and he has his own hunches that goes against his data. We have seen the effect of those decisions through the years. No need to elaborate on that.

From 1-9 in the rotation, each of the players on this team has shown prime time contributions in crucial moments of games, whether in offense or defense or both (Paige was the main contributor before her injury). As such, all are cards the coach can play in any combination depending on the opponent and how they play, in seeking ways to ensure that UConn is able dictate the style of play if at all possible. And, they have shown that they can play well together of both ends without Paige. So, the main concern of the coach has been how to reintegrate Paige and raise the level of play on offense without diminishing the tenacious defense in the short time available. Not easy, not sure he'll get what he wants but he is giving it a chance while telling everyone to temper expectations on Paige being Paige.

Besides, the Paige he wants now is not as primary scorer, rather the primary playmaker to orchestrate the offense to a higher level of performance. The adjustments needed are not only by Paige but also the rest who have gotten used to the rhythm of play with Nika running the point. Again, tall order with no time left. But it is not impossible to reach a level of some improvement over the last few games of the season and the tournament games (BE and NCAA). She already has brought in a lot in spiritual boost, now they have to function smoothly and make whatever combinations are on the floor to work best. Again, not enough time, so it is up to the players of high IQ to "muddle" and find it as they go along - not perfect, but not impossible. From the first two tournament games, coach probably has a better idea. I offer these comments/observations to supplement yours:

Paige - she will continue to start, to recover muscle and neural memories as fast as possible and lose the mental obstacles; the ball does zip around more crisply with her on the floor.
Azzi - she is a weapon being maximized as they go deeper, so she starts; am surprised that her defense - especially on-ball - has improved this much
Christyn - she too will start as the primary penetrator to go along with her outside game and defense. I just wish that she is a bit more selective about her drives, which sometimes looks too "I'll figure it out when I get there" but this is her way to staying aggressive to play better overall
Olivia - starts and mans the high post on offense; she has shown very high value even without scoring much, with her rebounding, passing and defense. She looks more determined than ever, with an air of commitment not often seen in the past
Aaliyah - the main physical presence to man the low post on offense and defend against the bigger bigs of opponents, has improved over her play late last season after going through sophomoritis early this season.
Dorka - has learned to function better in the high post and, while needing to be stronger, will fight in the low post against opponent bigs, not hesitant to shoot from outside, enhances high-post effectiveness
Evina - never mind what info was released for public consumption, she is a starter level player but was probably was putting too much pressure on herself for whatever reason, especially after the "unfinished business" declaration last year. Pressure not as much coming from the bench, she playing to what Geno expected from her when she transferred, almost as another coach on the floor.
Caroline - whether or not there are post-injury effects, she has had to adjust the most from not playing much, to playing long minutes in a long run of games, to playing shorter minutes with a different combination of players. And, she is still contributing, though not at the level when in rhythm for nearly 40 minutes in a game nor as tangibly in points but steals and the defensive positioning remain.
Nika - her defense, of course, is where the conversation starts and the energy she infuses into the team play. Just her personality. But amidst her reticence to shoot every time she is slightly open - preferring instead to move the ball in search for a better chance for somebody else - she has grown reliably in the few chances she does take the shot. Opponents beware: leave her alone at your peril.

Having said all these, I believe that the depth from which they have had to rise and the growth in mental fortitude needed to accomplish what they have done and grow into a much better coordinated team in the spirit of "One for All and All for One", things are more likely to "snap" into place in time to win #12 than not. And, as in many instances elsewhere in sports, this is the kind of mix of characters where the biggest contributions in big moments might come from the unlikeliest sources.....

I felt this way back in December when Paige went down but her return took a little bit longer than indicated then to protect her future.

Go for it Ladies! It's an open road for you.....

Reaction Score
Key to the games ahead-
Offense- Play the expanded lineup! Start Nika, limit turnovers, keep Aaliyah down low.
Defense- Press if you want, just grab those stupid rebounds!
We win with our defense- I'm not worried about the offense, this group can score!

Reaction Score
Welcome & Kudos for outstanding maiden post, “Jeff”!

My only dissenting wrinkle is that Azzi is a must-start & arguably most important player to have on floor (absent 100% Paige) given her heady, consistent, impactful 2-way game defined by scoring/spacing gravity & strong D.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
NO!! She is not in Geno's dog house.

Reaction Score
No, she is not in Geno's dog house. Geno explained why she did not get in the game.

Reaction Score
Cant watch game from where I am ( kayaking). Stopped on a shoal to update by phone and saw “ highlight” of Paige limping and checking her knee.

Please tell me she’s okay!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom