Outsider's perspective on the current roster FWIW | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Outsider's perspective on the current roster FWIW

Reaction Score
Cant watch game from where I am ( kayaking). Stopped on a shoal to update by phone and saw “ highlight” of Paige limping and checking her knee.

Please tell me she’s okay!
She is fine. She is playing.

Reaction Score
So many of your points I felt are awesome. Awesome. Just as a counter to a few though-

What do you think?

1-- I think Liv has a bit more value. However I think I get in a way what you're saying. The poster on here coco can attest to this that I thought (before ofc COVID) that preseason last year that Liv would be about a 3rd team a/a because I felt UCONN would win a lot and she would be the inside focal point. During the Ark game that year early on in that 1 game I did a complete 180. But I accept what she does and she is good enough at it to imo be a plus.

2-- I think the best way to establish your game at the beginning is to play your bets at suitable positions they play from the beginning. As a result, Paige and Azzi over Nika. I love Nika too. I put a thread up a while ago when she was getting bashed "In Defense of Nika Muhl."

3-- I think Paige looks to push the ball upcourt "with purpose" better than Nika. I think immediately Paige looks to make the pass up court as an example which a pass is much faster than a dribble. So many other factors though play into this imo.

4-- I do believe though the inside is the weakness for this team. I think the player that seems to be playing best inside is our soph AE. So our best players are "young" even inside. Teams with balance can cause UCONN big trouble. And I would add SC to the list too. They can still score imo.

I loved your post. And Welcome!!!
All valid points. Multiple perspectives and opinions can each be correct of course. I think of next year's probable starters (Dorka, AE, Caroline, Azzi, Paige) and smile at the potential. The question becomes, who besides Nika is on the second unit that can step up to be this years Caroline, Dorka, etc.

Reaction Score
My post was written tongue in cheek,
They're just my thoughts out loud, but in fact they both did get to play 3 minutes each against Mercer.
I should have said it's "As if they aren't full fledged members of the team..." because many folks here only mention 9 players being in the rotation.
Also worth mentioning is that 2 UConn bigs fouled out last game, and Piath & Amaro aren't exactly the #10 & #11 players in the rotation, because our bench bigs they don't compete for PT against the guards.
If 2 bigs such as Liv & Dorka are forced out of a game, then Amari & Piath are next in line to play behind AE while guards will still be sitting on the bench.

That's why I mention that even if they only enter the game for a few minutes in order to relieve the other bigs from getting too many fouls, that could save our starting bigs from fouling out.
Too many fouls can cause our starting bigs to not play their best game and put forth their best effort.
Our bench bigs can be more important then some realize, especially if we lose a tourney game due to our bigs playing with too many fouls.
Not only do some of our bigs not score enough, but they're too afraid to commit fouls then they will play a timid game when we need them to be agressive.
Another problem with our bigs is that they tend to walk too much which creates turnovers.
Every person in uniform, players and coaches and support staff, are part of the Team. But there are 9 players in the regular rotation. Paith and Amari have a long way to go before Geno puts them into the rotation in the Sweet Sixteen. That's not hate, that's reality. Caroline would be the next "big" if god forbid ONO and AE foul out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom