Outer Banks, NC | The Boneyard

Outer Banks, NC

Reaction Score
Looking to stay a couple of nights end of September- have never been there- hope there won't be a hurricane. Looking for suggestions of towns to stay. Will drive down (from Washington DC, wife's HS reunion) on Sunday and stay 2-3 nights. Heard of Nag's Head, is that the place to stay?

Reaction Score
Nags head is the busiest most touristy and gets progressively more chill and neighborhood-ish the farther north you go. We usually split the difference and end up in kitty hawk or Corolla.

I tell everyone my 3 must visits for food are: food dudes (best lunch spot around), paper canoe (real good waterfront dinner in Duck) and awful Arthur's (super busy and tourist spot but I shove my face full of good shellfish and it's glorious)

Reaction Score
The only time I went we got a big house right on the water in Corolla. It was a fantastic time. We were there July 4th week. It was such a nice change of pace from the mobbed beaches of the Northeast. Sparsley crowded beaches, dolphins in the water, wild horses running around. I'd love to go back someday.

Reaction Score
I go every summer with family and friends. 2023 trip is in about a month!

Nags Head, Duck, Kitty Hawk, Corolla are all the most built-up. They’re right across the bridge from mainland NC and are the most crowded by tourists. Also the most expensive.

When we go, we stay further down on Hatteras Island. Avon (aka Kinnakeet), Buxton, Frisco, (Village of) Hatteras. It’s another hour or so south down the island chain once you cross the bridge, but man is it worth it.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a bunch of vacationers, but it’s not nearly as commercialized as those towns more to the north. There’s always room on the beaches and many of the houses are really good bang for buck in terms of size, amenities and location (oceanside, ocean view, etc.). There’s also still plenty of markets (including a Food Lion in Avon) and restaurants, but it’s got way more character than up north. Still got that small town feel rather than resort feel. It’s more relaxed. True seaside living.

Still, can’t go wrong! I think since you’re going in September you’ll be fine, but the competition for rental houses during the summer season is super intense. Best practice is to book your spot a whole 11-12 months in advance.

Enjoy! It really is awesome. So remote, yet still connected to everything.

Reaction Score
Just like the Cape, different towns and different areas have a different feel. OBX is a great place, all depends on what you're looking for.

Nags Head is a great area with plenty to do besides the beach. Easy access to explore points south like Hatteras and Ocracoke and Manteo. Nags Head is really a great first time spot to explore from. They also did some beach reclamation last year, so you should benefit from that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Used to stay in Buxton
Its half way down the road.

Reaction Score
Stayed in Avon last year. It was perfect, away from the tourists but still easy to get to (e.g. Nags Head) in 60 minutes or so.

Outer Banks to me is mainly a chill vacation with horseback riding, beach hangout, and deep sea/shore fishing (for me).

Reaction Score
Nags head is the busiest most touristy and gets progressively more chill and neighborhood-ish the farther north you go. We usually split the difference and end up in kitty hawk or Corolla.

I tell everyone my 3 must visits for food are: food dudes (best lunch spot around), paper canoe (real good waterfront dinner in Duck) and awful Arthur's (super busy and tourist spot but I shove my face full of good shellfish and it's glorious)
Blue Water Grille and Raw Bar is also very good. In Manteo

Reaction Score
Looking to stay a couple of nights end of September- have never been there- hope there won't be a hurricane. Looking for suggestions of towns to stay. Will drive down (from Washington DC, wife's HS reunion) on Sunday and stay 2-3 nights. Heard of Nag's Head, is that the place to stay?
Our vacation spot every year! Goff trip as well. If you’re only going for a couple of days, I will go to Duck, the Sanderlin Inn…it might be Pine Island. It’s a much more relaxed place than Nags Head…NH was the go to place a long time ago.
if your trying to rent a house, I’d go to Corolla

Reaction Score
I liked the Buxton suggestion- thanks UConNick!- it has the Inn on Pimlico Sound which looks like a nice place to stay. Horse riding is nearby which my wife would love. 3 nights there should be a nice visit, then we'll drive to Durham NC to visit a nephew. I'll wear a UConn shirt while there, could be fun.

Reaction Score
My family has a house in Corolla and my parents spend about 30% of their time there for now; when my dad retires I imagine they’ll be down there even more. But we’ve had it since 2011 or so, so they are absolute experts. Im not an expert, but I’ve been down well over a dozen times; being out of the northeast for nearly 8 years has complicated going there (nearest airport is Norfolk 90 minutes away).

Once you cross the bridge into the outer banks, assuming you’re coming from the North, you go North or South. These are very different parts of the island. You’ll immediately see that the southern part, basically Kitty Hawk through Nags Head, is more built up. To me, it’s what I imagine Myrtle Beach Lite would be. No high rises, but a 4-lane road and many side streets with neighborhoods packed with smaller vacation rentals. Kinda reminds me of the Jersey Shore and LBI. Tons of dining, but few places that are truly great. I don’t really want to give it away, but Salt Box is a great spot down there nestled amongst what is basically a spread out trailer park on the sound side. Otherwise, I know that southern area as cheaper, zero frills, kid-friendly vacationer food/bars (yes kids can sit at bars). I’ve never bothered with the beach down there, but it seems narrower, and I have to imagine it’s way more packed. More historical stuff to see, even besides the Wright brothers museum; Manteo is a decently historic town. Manteo is also your launch point for any deep sea fishing you’re thinking of doing.

If you head North, it’s barely recognizable. It’s a two-lane road the whole way up as far as cars are allowed, with the speed limit rarely passing 40. You could probably count on two hands for the amount of lights you’ll hit on the whole road. First you pass by the big hotels, then the massive, 4-family “houses” that people often rent for reunions or weddings. A couple more miles and you’re in Duck. Lots of nice shopping and dining options. Still kid-friendly for the most part, but definitely a more mature vibe. It’s much quieter. Then you keep going a few more miles and you’re in Corolla, which is the quietest part of the island; but, mind you, it’s still very popular and has been built up quite a bit with modern rentals over the last 12 years. We were the 3rd or 4th house built in my development in 2011; now there are dozens. Even still, it’s more secluded and options are more limited. Many people go down to Duck from Corolla to eat and shop. From here you can go see the wild horses on the beach/dunes. I imagine you can deduce how pricing for rentals likely goes between areas.

Reaction Score
If you head North, it’s barely recognizable. It’s a two-lane road the whole way up as far as cars are allowed, with the speed limit rarely passing 40. You could probably count on two hands for the amount of lights you’ll hit on the whole road.

My wife has friends from college (UNC, barf) who are from the north part of the Outer Banks. It's much different... some of it not nearly as wealthy as you'd imagine.

I can personally confirm that all teens in the Outer Banks do not have perfect accents and plastic surgery like in the TV show. I felt quite deceived when we visited for a wedding a few summers ago.

Reaction Score
My wife has friends from college (UNC, barf) who are from the north part of the Outer Banks. It's much different... some of it not nearly as wealthy as you'd imagine.
Maybe you’re referring to the inland areas? I’m just talking about the island communities. There are very very few people from Corolla/Duck. The lone school house in Corolla looks like it’s from the 40s. And I was mainly referring to the wealth of people who vacation there. I have to imagine it’s more expensive to rent a modern place no more than 10 years old up there than a decades-old place in Kitty Hawk.
I can personally confirm that all teens in the Outer Banks do not have perfect accents and plastic surgery like in the TV show. I felt quite deceived when we visited for a wedding a few summers ago.
Yeah I mean very few people live there year round, let alone are from there; and they are not wealthy. They earn what they can through hospitality and that’s it. A lot of the stores in the area rely on an exchange program. For a few years it was kids form Eastern Europe; this summer it’s kids from Thailand. Never figured any locals were particularly wealthy unless they have multiple rentals. There just isn’t enough going on there, especially in the off season, to entice truly wealthy people to stick around like actual locals.

Reaction Score
I liked the Buxton suggestion- thanks UConNick!- it has the Inn on Pimlico Sound which looks like a nice place to stay. Horse riding is nearby which my wife would love. 3 nights there should be a nice visit, then we'll drive to Durham NC to visit a nephew. I'll wear a UConn shirt while there, could be fun.
Buxton is my favorite! There's a decent supermarket (Conner's), a minigolf/ice cream spot for the kids (not that that's stopped us from spending an evening walking the holes and playing with an 18-pack before), a softball field we've played on before, the lighthouse, a handful of really good restaurants (Pop's is my favorite spot for sea food!), and glorious beaches that are never crowded, even in the peak of tourist season.

It's definitely another degree quieter than Avon (some 15 minutes back north), which itself is several degrees quieter than KDH/Kitty Hawk/Nags Head, as I previously mentioned. But you're not completely isolated and the slightly more built-up Avon is very close.

It's not a spot for nightlife; you have to create your own nightlife. Which turns out to be pretty darn easy. One of my favorite memories was when me, my brothers, our friends, my father, and some other family friends played about 40 games of flip-cup until 3:00am, right in the yard outside our house, lit by an industrial light my brother bought just for that purpose. Did it bother the neighbors? Maybe, to be honest ;)

I'll admit to having never stayed in those more northern towns, let alone Duck/Corolla, but I can't imagine them being a markedly better (or different) experience than the joys I've had in Avon and Buxton.

Edit: I can't comment on the inn, as I've never stayed there, but getting a suitable house for the typical week is pretty important to the experience. You need that comfortable home base that's going to be able to provide amenities for your various shenanigans, and a good spot for downtime in between all the action. It's never broken my vacation, not even close, but I do consider some yearly trips to be better than others mainly because of the vibe a great house can bring compared to an old or average one.

Reaction Score
My family has a house in Corolla and my parents spend about 30% of their time there for now; when my dad retires I imagine they’ll be down there even more. But we’ve had it since 2011 or so, so they are absolute experts. Im not an expert, but I’ve been down well over a dozen times; being out of the northeast for nearly 8 years has complicated going there (nearest airport is Norfolk 90 minutes away).

Once you cross the bridge into the outer banks, assuming you’re coming from the North, you go North or South. These are very different parts of the island. You’ll immediately see that the southern part, basically Kitty Hawk through Nags Head, is more built up. To me, it’s what I imagine Myrtle Beach Lite would be. No high rises, but a 4-lane road and many side streets with neighborhoods packed with smaller vacation rentals. Kinda reminds me of the Jersey Shore and LBI. Tons of dining, but few places that are truly great. I don’t really want to give it away, but Salt Box is a great spot down there nestled amongst what is basically a spread out trailer park on the sound side. Otherwise, I know that southern area as cheaper, zero frills, kid-friendly vacationer food/bars (yes kids can sit at bars). I’ve never bothered with the beach down there, but it seems narrower, and I have to imagine it’s way more packed. More historical stuff to see, even besides the Wright brothers museum; Manteo is a decently historic town. Manteo is also your launch point for any deep sea fishing you’re thinking of doing.

If you head North, it’s barely recognizable. It’s a two-lane road the whole way up as far as cars are allowed, with the speed limit rarely passing 40. You could probably count on two hands for the amount of lights you’ll hit on the whole road. First you pass by the big hotels, then the massive, 4-family “houses” that people often rent for reunions or weddings. A couple more miles and you’re in Duck. Lots of nice shopping and dining options. Still kid-friendly for the most part, but definitely a more mature vibe. It’s much quieter. Then you keep going a few more miles and you’re in Corolla, which is the quietest part of the island; but, mind you, it’s still very popular and has been built up quite a bit with modern rentals over the last 12 years. We were the 3rd or 4th house built in my development in 2011; now there are dozens. Even still, it’s more secluded and options are more limited. Many people go down to Duck from Corolla to eat and shop. From here you can go see the wild horses on the beach/dunes. I imagine you can deduce how pricing for rentals likely goes between areas.
I second the salt box recommendation. It’s been phenomenal each time I’ve gone. I usually stay in the nags head area.

Reaction Score
I second the salt box recommendation. It’s been phenomenal each time I’ve gone. I usually stay in the nags head area.
Menu constantly changes too. A true chef works that kitchen. He opened a place in Corolla then left and opened salt box. That’s how my parents found it. Wife is a baker and the desserts and baked stuff are also great, too

You ever been to that blue trailer bar right before you get there?? Lol I see it and want to look inside but it looks genuinely frightening

Reaction Score
Menu constantly changes too. A true chef works that kitchen. He opened a place in Corolla then left and opened salt box. That’s how my parents found it. Wife is a baker and the desserts and baked stuff are also great, too

You ever been to that blue trailer bar right before you get there?? Lol I see it and want to look inside but it looks genuinely frightening
Haha no.... Just a straight trip for dinner at the saltbox and i am out.

Reaction Score
Haha no.... Just a straight trip for dinner at the saltbox and i am out.
Lol I hear that; that’s what we do too

It’s the only place we drive as far as it is from Corolla for dinner i.e. not a full day

Reaction Score
Lol I hear that; that’s what we do too

It’s the only place we drive as far as it is from Corolla for dinner i.e. not a full day
I think I am going to go and check out Corolla when I go this year if you have any lunch recs

Reaction Score
I think I am going to go and check out Corolla when I go this year if you have any lunch recs
To be honest, we don’t eat out for lunch a lot, especially in Corolla. Like I said in my first post, most of the eating/shopping is in Duck.

I will say that I absolutely love Urban Kitchen. Super small place, capacity of maybe 20. Go on off hours, like 1:30 or so for lunch; they don’t take reservations. But, if you want to go then and there’s a wait, at the end of the set of store fronts it’s in, there is Off the Wall tap house that has serve-yourself, pay-by-the-ounce craft beer (solid looking food there too but I’ve never eaten). You can post up there and have some solid beer.

Corolla Pizza is probably not going to blow you away but it’s a hole in the wall right next to a very solid beer garden.

Philly steak subs are delicious in my opinion. Again, like the pizza place, probably won’t live up to stuff you’d actually get in Philly, but still good.

I can’t not recommend Lighthouse Bagels because they’re great… but there’s always a line out to the parking lot.

Broken plate was always a solid spot for us too. They just moved into a bigger location.

If you go up to the lighthouse and check out that whole historic part of Corolla, and don’t want pizza, the BBQ at Corolla Village BBQ is fine.

That’s about all I can really recommend.

Reaction Score
To be honest, we don’t eat out for lunch a lot, especially in Corolla. Like I said in my first post, most of the eating/shopping is in Duck.

I will say that I absolutely love Urban Kitchen. Super small place, capacity of maybe 20. Go on off hours, like 1:30 or so for lunch; they don’t take reservations. But, if you want to go then and there’s a wait, at the end of the set of store fronts it’s in, there is Off the Wall tap house that has serve-yourself, pay-by-the-ounce craft beer (solid looking food there too but I’ve never eaten). You can post up there and have some solid beer.

Corolla Pizza is probably not going to blow you away but it’s a hole in the wall right next to a very solid beer garden.

Philly steak subs are delicious in my opinion. Again, like the pizza place, probably won’t live up to stuff you’d actually get in Philly, but still good.

I can’t not recommend Lighthouse Bagels because they’re great… but there’s always a line out to the parking lot.

Broken plate was always a solid spot for us too. They just moved into a bigger location.

If you go up to the lighthouse and check out that whole historic part of Corolla, and don’t want pizza, the BBQ at Corolla Village BBQ is fine.

That’s about all I can really recommend.
I meant Duck my bad... But if we end up going past to Corolla ill give some of those a shot.

Reaction Score
I meant Duck my bad... But if we end up going past to Corolla ill give some of those a shot.
Gotcha. Again we mainly grill and make our own lunches mostly, and Duck’s best restaurants are only open for dinner. But if you’re there for lunch, the first thing I would recommend is to get there early. As I said in my first post, the entire road up through Duck and Corolla is one lane on either side. There are also many pedestrian crossings. Traffic can quickly become a nightmare. Go during the week so you also aren’t dealing with additional potential check-in/out traffic. So I would get there and park early, eat then shop, or vice versa. This is the main reason we usually stay home for lunch lol

Coastal Cravings is good
NC Coast is good
Coastal Cantina is okay, right on the water though so that’s cool
The Sanderling hotel also has a couple decent restaurants

That’s about all I can recommend

Reaction Score
Gotcha. Again we mainly grill and make our own lunches mostly, and Duck’s best restaurants are only open for dinner. But if you’re there for lunch, the first thing I would recommend is to get there early. As I said in my first post, the entire road up through Duck and Corolla is one lane on either side. There are also many pedestrian crossings. Traffic can quickly become a nightmare. Go during the week so you also aren’t dealing with additional potential check-in/out traffic. So I would get there and park early, eat then shop, or vice versa. This is the main reason we usually stay home for lunch lol

Coastal Cravings is good
NC Coast is good
Coastal Cantina is okay, right on the water though so that’s cool
The Sanderling hotel also has a couple decent restaurants

That’s about all I can recommend
Appreciate it. I honestly never make my way up that way.... We were talking about doing it this summer so I figure well go up for a bit and then grab a bite to eat and head back to nags head.. Appreciate all the recs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom