Outcoaching Geno? | The Boneyard

Outcoaching Geno?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Krzyzewski, Popovich, Belichick and Auriemma are arguably the best coaches in their respective sports. Whether they have great players or just good players they beat you more often than not. As an opposing coach, in order to beat them, you have to field a team with talent, focus, the ability to play hard the entire game (Atlanta Falcons?) and you and your coaching staff have to develop and execute a supreme game plan. In some cases, you may do all of the above and still lose. In the case of Geno Auriemma, you may do all of the above and you will almost always lose.

It is my contention that Geno and his staff are good for 10+ points per game, before you even begin to look at player matchups. One of the critical elements of putting together a game plan is establishing matchups between your team and your opponent. IMO, UConn has faced at least six teams this season that matchup with equal or better talent against the Huskies: Baylor, tOSU, ND, TX, MD & SC. Of course, what they all have in common is that they all lost. As an opposing coach, if you are truly being thorough in your game planning and preparation, you have to ask yourself, “Can I outcoach Geno?

There are three primary areas where Geno and his staff almost always beat opposing coaches: player development, game planning and in-game adjustments. Heading into the tournament this weekend, after beating UAlbany, the Huskies could face a potential “Murderer’s Row” of Syracuse, UCLA, MD, Baylor & ND in order to win their 12th national championship. It’s a daunting challenge, reminiscent of the murderer’s row, non-conference schedule that Geno set up this season. As I recall, that worked out pretty well for the Huskies.

BRING ON THE BIG DANCE!!!

Reaction Score
Geno has proven time and again that he is the best coach in WBB ...........it won't just take a great coach to beat UConn..............it will take a pretty obvious formula............. get one or two of the big three in foul trouble, play good defense and hit close to 50% of your shots against them...........not easy to do one of those three, harder to do two of the three and really difficult to do all three but certainly possible this post season based on the quality of their scheduled opponents................

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has proven time and again that he is the best coach in WBB ......it won't just take a great coach to beat UConn....it will take a pretty obvious formula... get one or two of the big three in foul trouble, play good defense and hit close to 50% of your shots against them......not easy to do one of those three, harder to do two of the three and really difficult to do all three but certainly possible this post season based on the quality of their scheduled opponents......
I am reminded of Jose Fernandez's comment on beating UConn before the AAC championship game last week. "We have to shoot 50% from the floor, 40% from 3, 90% from the foul line, they have to get in foul trouble and have a cold shooting night.....and then maybe we might have a chance."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Of the three areas discussed, player development, game planning and in-game adjustments, I believe the first 2 are a real team effort among the coaches but Geno is the real genius regarding in-game adjustments. He seems to be able to diagnose almost by feel when things are wrong and fix them on the fly. JMHO.

Reaction Score
Geno seems to most fear poor officiating because he knows if Gabby or Collier or on the bench for significant time beyond the first couple of rounds this team is cooked, and secondly a hot shooting team which I guess is always a fear of any coach because then you can end up with a Louisville-Baylor 2013 scenario.

Reaction Score
Geno seems to most fear poor officiating because he knows if Gabby or Collier or on the bench for significant time beyond the first couple of rounds this team is cooked, and secondly a hot shooting team which I guess is always a fear of any coach because then you can end up with a Louisville-Baylor 2013 scenario.

Say what you will about Syracuse...............with their guards they can beat anybody if they are playing their "A" game...........odds are that's not happening but kind of a scary second round match up as far as I'm concerned

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Say what you will about Syracuse.....with their guards they can beat anybody if they are playing their "A" game......odds are that's not happening but kind of a scary second round match up as far as I'm concerned
I know Syracuse is hoping to catch magic in a bottle again and go on a roll, but they've really had some bad losses this year (Drexel) and they're not very good on the road. In their last game vs Duke in the ACC tournament, they scored only 48 pts and were blown out. There is a very good chance that the Orange won't get by Iowa St in the 1st round.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Talent wise I agree but it seems their schemes both offensively and defensively just do not match up with UConn very well. There defense (zone + hard press) is usually broken routinely by us (see NC game last year) leading to easy layups and their need to shoot so quickly speeds up the game which benefits us again. Maybe coach Q will try to change things but I doubt he is willing to.

Reaction Score
I think there are only two coaches in women's college basketball who have and could still outcoach Geno in any given game when the teams of approximately the same talent level.. Muffet McGraw and Tara Van Derveer. This tournament, if wins follow seeding, the two teams will meet and one of the two (probably Stanford) will be eliminated from consideration. McGraw, her team and her coaching skills present the biggest threat to Uconn winning the tournament. The gap has narrowed, and Notre Dame could pull off the upset.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know Syracuse is hoping to catch magic in a bottle again and go on a roll, but they've really had some bad losses this year (Drexel) and they're not very good on the road. In their last game vs Duke in the ACC tournament, they scored only 48 pts and were blown out. There is a very good chance that the Orange won't get by Iowa St in the 1st round.

Yes, they have had a bewildering year, but Alexis is a warrior and will want to go out fighting like heck.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the key to beating Geno is having your third and fourth options step up because he sure as heck is going to take away your first option and very likely your second as well.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I am reminded of Jose Fernandez's comment on beating UConn before the AAC championship game last week. "We have to shoot 50% from the floor, 40% from 3, 90% from the foul line, they have to get in foul trouble and have a cold shooting night.....and then maybe we might have a chance."

In other words, you have to do some things that no other team has done during the past 107 games vs. UCONN.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

You could tell he's worried about that based on his reference to the atrocious officiating in the men's AAC semifinal game. However, we faced some rather daunting foul trouble in the first half of the NC game in 1995, with a team that had a lack of depth similar to this year's team. He figured out a way to deal with it and it worked. Dangerfield, Butler, and even Irwin and Bent may need to step up when necessary. I think they will.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Say what you will about Syracuse.....with their guards they can beat anybody if they are playing their "A" game......odds are that's not happening but kind of a scary second round match up as far as I'm concerned

They came out on fire against ND in front of a record home crowd and still lost. I can't imagine Syracuse beating UConn under any circumstances. Williams and Collier will eat Slim and the Day sisters alive inside.

Syracuse would need a full-on "Pleasantville" scenario to have a chance:

acwjyg.gif

Reaction Score
One or two of Syracuse's guards may have a Mabry-like first half against Uconn but i think where Geno really shows up as a coach is right after his half time spiels his team comes out with the hammer down and loaded for bear.Look at a slew of opposition player performances who burned in the first half and disappeared in the second half .Mabry last year and Mitchell this year are prime examples.Syracuse may make us nervous for a while but Uconn will have a ferocious 15-20 point run and game over.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In other words, you have to do some things that no other team has done during the past 107 games vs. UCONN.
I actually think it's been much longer than that. I seem to recall some announcer saying that no team has shot 50% against UConn since the late 1990's.

Reaction Score
My memory is tiptoeing light fantastic over a crate of thin eggs,but i seem to remember N.D.,Baylor, or someone shooting 50% or so a few years ago.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My memory is tiptoeing light fantastic over a crate of thin eggs,but i seem to remember N.D.,Baylor, or someone shooting 50% or so a few years ago.
ND rings a bell. I wish I could remember the year, but I recollect that it was quite some time back.

Reaction Score
Krzyzewski, Popovich, Belichick and Auriemma are arguably the best coaches in their respective sports. Whether they have great players or just good players they beat you more often than not. As an opposing coach, in order to beat them, you have to field a team with talent, focus, the ability to play hard the entire game (Atlanta Falcons?) and you and your coaching staff have to develop and execute a supreme game plan. In some cases, you may do all of the above and still lose. In the case of Geno Auriemma, you may do all of the above and you will almost always lose.

It is my contention that Geno and his staff are good for 10+ points per game, before you even begin to look at player matchups. One of the critical elements of putting together a game plan is establishing matchups between your team and your opponent. IMO, UConn has faced at least six teams this season that matchup with equal or better talent against the Huskies: Baylor, tOSU, ND, TX, MD & SC. Of course, what they all have in common is that they all lost. As an opposing coach, if you are truly being thorough in your game planning and preparation, you have to ask yourself, “Can I outcoach Geno?

There are three primary areas where Geno and his staff almost always beat opposing coaches: player development, game planning and in-game adjustments. Heading into the tournament this weekend, after beating UAlbany, the Huskies could face a potential “Murderer’s Row” of Syracuse, UCLA, MD, Baylor & ND in order to win their 12th national championship. It’s a daunting challenge, reminiscent of the murderer’s row, non-conference schedule that Geno set up this season. As I recall, that worked out pretty well for the Huskies.

Good stuff there, but I have to take Coach K off the great coach list after his lack of any meaningful discipline and enabling with Allen the past couple of years. Winning doesn't always make a great college coach! Geno would never tolerate such behavior.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
The team differences can lead one to evaluate match-ups, but everyone else shows up as a team...UCONN comes to play as a program, constantly improving. I recently watched older games 2000-2004, the coaching and prep is superior today than yester years it is obvious and as others have stated that is the distinct advantage...But 1 thing is obvious, were those past teams physically and mentally tough...wow i forgot the level of intensity...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good stuff there, but I have to take Coach K off the great coach list after his lack of any meaningful discipline and enabling with Allen the past couple of years. Winning doesn't always make a great college coach! Geno would never tolerate such behavior.
Noted. Of course I was just referencing basketball. Character is a bit of a slippery slope, but if we are going to bring it up, then it could also be fair to question Coach Belichick.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice OP -
I would say the 10 points is true for the majority of coaches, but ... I think there are some who are equally adept at your points 2 and 3 - Tara and her staff head that list.

Reaction Score

I agree that Uconn's staff/Geno do a great job of preparing players for the season, conditioning, thinking, etc. and USUALLY Geno's "in game (usually half time) adjustments are among the best--and CD does a superb job of scouting/reporting/ and setting defensive goals---all of that is true---USUALLY. Geno HAS been OUT COACHED--the most recent (about 6 years ago) by Notre Dame. The truth is Geno has outcoached Muffet more than she has him.
Dayton in the NCAA's did a great job of coaching in the first half. Syracuse last year too for a half. Geno in those that turned around in the second half -was by the most out standing and athletic team uconn ever produced--

Some one said Uconn's chance of winning it all is 52 percent---at half time that is all Geno needs. Three of the "Murders Row" but these are not the Yankee's --and Uconn survived Baylor and Nd--against an NCAA MD Uconn by at least 15
Uclas and Syracuse are the question marks--my question to you is--how much better did Baylor and ND get since Uconn survived them?????

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As UcMiami has said, there is no way Geno and staff are worth 10+ vs Tara and Muffet. Not on this planet. Maybe Rueck as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As UcMiami has said, there is no way Geno and staff are worth 10+ vs Tara and Muffet. Not on this planet. Maybe Rueck as well.
I would normally be in complete agreement with you, but this year Muffet's team looked a bit lost against the Huskies in South Bend. Ogunbawle was throwing up shots from everywhere, and mostly missing. Allen didn't have the ball in her hands enough. Mabry was pretty much invisible, as was Turner until late in the game. In the shocking loss at TN, the Irish spent a lot of the game standing around watching DD.

While I certainly acknowledge that Muffet and the Irish have gotten their act together and have clearly earned the #2 overall seed in the tournament with their play of late, early in the season they were just not playing well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom