Out rebounded 50-33 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Out rebounded 50-33

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was very disappointed in Whaley's game. He needed to do more on both ends (in fairness, no one played well except Sanogo at times, but he had his very bad moments too).

The guy scored 13 points on 8 shots, had 7 boards, 0 turnovers and played way better than everyone not named Sanogo. Not sure why I’ve seen so many people pick on him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Did we feed Sanogo more than once in the second half? The only shots I remember were Bouk’s highly contested long 2’s for absolutely no reason.
No we stopped doing that. I don't know why.

There was a tense period of both teams trading baskets, and then 5 Creighton trips that netted them a single point.

At the 5-minute mark, we'd built the 5-pt lead that should have been the focus, but we couldn't stop taking bad shots.

Most of the upset here ignores that this was a game in which Creighton was held to under 60 points. We'd even gotten it to where Creighton had 9 fouls to our 3. It was well set up for the deeper, more versatile, faster team to just hold off the more experienced coach and seal the win. Huge missed opportunity.

Reaction Score
The guy scored 13 points on 8 shots, had 7 boards, 0 turnovers and played way better than everyone not named Sanogo. Not sure why I’ve seen so many people pick on him.
Those numbers are better than I thought. It was just a feel from watching the whole game. Sometimes it's not what you do, but when you do or don't do something that matters. It seemed that at the key opportunities, he didn't deliver. You're entitled to your opinion.

Reaction Score
No we stopped doing that. I don't know why.

There was a tense period of both teams trading baskets, and then 5 Creighton had trips that netted the a single point. At that point, we built the 5-pt lead that should have been the focus, but we couldn't stop taking bad shots.

Most of the upset here ignores that this was a game in which Creighton was held under 60 points. We'd even gotten it to where Creighton had 9 fouls to our 3. It was well set up for the deeper, more versatile, faster tesm to just hold off the more experienced team and coach to seal the win.
Well we also just don’t drive, like at all. Bouk when he gets space does, but he had none today. Martin looks like he has no confidence. We pass the ball around for 22 seconds then take a contested shot. Hurley has improved dramatically in my eyes but we still rarely run a play. Posting up Jackson or Martin could lead to more open looks because of their passing abilities. Just simple things Coach should look at.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well we also just don’t drive, like at all. Bouk when he gets space does, but he had none today. Martin looks like he has no confidence. We pass the ball around for 22 seconds then take a contested shot. Hurley has improved dramatically in my eyes but we still rarely run a play. Posting up Jackson or Martin could lead to more open looks because of their passing abilities. Just simple things Coach should look at.
Driving with a focus on the basket and no fear of contact would have resulted in fouls that would have made McDermott's job even harder than the defense made it.

Bad, distant shots helped them to rebound and avoid fouling. It let them get quick points before our defense could set up. NONE of it felt or looked necessary. It seemed like the product of a choice to play against what would have been better advised. A very frustrating game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He played a very good game. KenPom MVP in fact, since pretty much everyone shot poorly.

But he had 2 bad midrange jumpers when we could've gotten better shots. The one was an egregious situation where he had an open path to the rim with just 1 defender in the way and Sanogo wide open if he drew the defender (we were down 3 with 1:20 left).

The other was early in the shot clock when the game was tied and just unnecessary.

Reaction Score
Driving with a focus on the badket and no fear of contact would have resulted in fouls that would have made McDermott's job even harder than the defense made it.

Bad, distant shots helped them to rebound and avoid fouling. It let them get quick points before our defense could set up. NONE of it felt or looked necessary. It seemed like the product of a choice to ay against what would have been better advised. A very frustrating game.
Cole always fades away from contact when he shoots, that’s actually what led him to fall so hard. No one seeks contact. That should be Martin’s bread and butter, but he double pumps to get away from contact and misses bunny after bunny. Don’t know if this stat is out there but i’d imagine our FG % at the rim is pretty bad compared to other good teams.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Plain ole fashioned butt-kicking on the boards and on the court. Hurley will correct this without a doubt. We need to run our O always focused on great rebounding position. Bouk is Bouk, otherwise remember our identity, quality shots leading to great off rebounding position. This happens, regaining rebounding intensity is correctable with this team, and rest always helps.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Uncharacteristically outrebounded by 17- yet came within a hair of taking the game into OT and possibly winning. We hang our hat on defense and rebounding. I think this is one of the things Coach Hurley was saying needs to be "cleaned up" before heading into the NCAA Tourney.

Reaction Score
Jackson has to shoot from three. I liked that he had the confidence to take the shot. But he didn't shoot it with confidence. It was more like hope. He should have been taking one or two a game just to get a feel for it. I think this was his first three point attempt in a month.
Sorry we can't afford him practicing 3 point shots in big games. He is shooting 10% from 3 for a reason. He has limited range. For someone as athletic as him he is really offensively challenged when it comes to scoring from drives and outside. I woukd still rather aee him drive the ball than shoot a 3 as his range ia limited. He needs to work on his offensive game alot in the offseason.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Misleading Creighton got a bunch of long rebounds

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Cole always fades away from contact when he shoots, that’s actually what led him to fall so hard. No one seeks contact. That should be Martin’s bread and butter, but he double pumps to get away from contact and misses bunny after bunny. Don’t know if this stat is out there but i’d imagine our FG % at the rim is pretty bad compared to other good teams.
The stat for how many infuriated txts I send my sister when they do this is quite high. They should DRAW many more fouls, and commit fewer.

McDermott made it through the first half with 6 guys with one foul apiece. In the second half, UConn did get to the double bonus much more quickly, But this has not been a strategic priority, and it is a limitation for this season.

Even if there is regrouping from tonight's loss, the elevated NCAA Tournament competition will require more from this team than I fear they have been taught or have developed this season.
Still growing.
Rebuild, year 3...w/pandemic.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Whaley did not play well at all. We sat Sanogo for far too long.
50% of the time Whaley gets a pass at the 3 point line he is open. Fake pumps when there isn't anybody close to him and always looks to pass. Early in the game he took that shot and buried it. Rest of the game? Afraid. That's been happening all year. You are open you have to take that shot.

Reaction Score
C learned to back us down in the first half through isolation. They often scored inside. This was the same that Villanova did to us. C learned well from that experience and we didn't.

Why didn't we change up to a zone defense at times, just a different look that would have also protected our bigs from foul trouble and provided more defensive rebounding? In any case, we shot poorly inside at times, point blank misses, a problem all year long except for Sanogo. Some of our players seemed intimated. We looked to refs for relief instead of playing hard. This was quite a different game from the previous one. We have some wonderful players and should do well in the NCAA's if we make some changes.

Reaction Score
Did we feed Sanogo more than once in the second half? The only shots I remember were Bouk’s highly contested long 2’s for absolutely no reason.
We do seem to get away from what works or apparently we don't pick-up on that? We are better than what we showed last night. Sanogo has great footwork but needs to use his body more in spin moves to prevent foul calls. The loss of him with 3 fouls mid way though the first half was critical in this game.

Reaction Score
Jackson has to shoot from three. I liked that he had the confidence to take the shot. But he didn't shoot it with confidence. It was more like hope. He should have been taking one or two a game just to get a feel for it. I think this was his first three point attempt in a month.
This was not his first missed rim. Let him put it on the floor.

Reaction Score
This is the first thread I've opened since the game but I imagine the same complaints are in multiple threads. Both teams came to play but our guys were not at their best last night. I'm disappointed we lost lost but not upset. We can still make some noise in the NCAAs. I thought Whaley played well although he missed a few bunnies. Jackson struggles from 3 but come on he took one three all game. Collectively we had a bad shooting nigh and it cost us against a team that played at a high level. Even as bad a we shot we had our chance and I'm proud of the effort. UConn will be a tough out in the tournament. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I'm not going read too much into the total rebound disparity but we missed close to 40 shots. A bunch of them were bunnies and lost out on some long rebounds. My concern was the offensive rebound disparity and how a 6' 5" guy man handled our front line so much so that Bouk had to help out and ended up with 8 rebounds.

Reaction Score
I'm not going read too much into the total rebound disparity but we missed close to 40 shots. A bunch of them were bunnies and lost out on some long rebounds. My concern was the offensive rebound disparity and how a 6' 5" guy man handled our front line so much so that Bouk had to help out and ended up with 8 rebounds.
Generally this is a failure to block out or not working for good position for rebounds. It has happened in other games. Sanogo did have some nice tap ins in the first half. Were a much different rebounding team with him on the floor. He only played about 8-10 minutes in the first half but was very effective except for the foul calls on him. He is the future down low with a great soft touch and footwork.

Reaction Score
Driving with a focus on the basket and no fear of contact would have resulted in fouls that would have made McDermott's job even harder than the defense made it.

Bad, distant shots helped them to rebound and avoid fouling. It let them get quick points before our defense could set up. NONE of it felt or looked necessary. It seemed like the product of a choice to play against what would have been better advised. A very frustrating game.
Drive and dish.
sets up open shots

Cole is the only one who can do it, though not enough. It’s a weak aspect of Bouks game.

The pass around the perimeter garbage gets old

Reaction Score
The first one was clueless and the rest jumped on the bandwagon.

Reaction Score
Who would have predicted that? There were a lot of reasons they lost this game but getting out rebounded by a smaller team like that just can't happen.
What really killed us was the disparity in offensive rebounds, 17 for them and only 9 for us. Many of those 17 offensive rebounds for Creighton were easy putbacks. Our interior defense sucked big time, that’s why we lost. I was hoping Hurley would try a hi lo with Josh and Sanogo on offense, which I think Creighton would have been hard pressed to answer, same thing on defense with both big men in the paint.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Drive and dish.
sets up open shots

Cole is the only one who can do it, though not enough. It’s a weak aspect of Bouks game.

The pass around the perimeter garbage gets old
It was too infrequently done during the season. Finally got tested and worked against DePaul, and was abandoned yesterday. I hope it gets corrected for the coming week. It will be needed to advance against the increasingly better competition.

Too many shot yesterday looked like unforced errors, a regression.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
What really killed us was the disparity in offensive rebounds, 17 for them and only 9 for us. Many of those 17 offensive rebounds for Creighton were easy putbacks. Our interior defense sucked big time, that’s why we lost. I was hoping Hurley would try a hi lo with Josh and Sanogo on offense, which I think Creighton would have been hard pressed to answer, same thing on defense with both big men in the paint.
Love Hurley, but he’s not a real big, innovative X’s and O’s guy, in game adjustments are not his thing.
He a fantastic recruiter and motivator, and good coach.
you can win with that, a lot.

expecting an in game jimmy...just never gonna happen

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom