Out of market, Can't get the games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Out of market, Can't get the games

Reaction Score
Thursday's game was glitch free using the fox sports app, on a SAMSUNG smart TV, with Spectrum as the internet provider in western Massachusetts. The fox sports app did mot mention the game being scheduled until about 1/2 hour before game time. There were a few times when the screen went entirely black with no sound. I finally realized that was "normal" for some commercials (ESPN used to have a message so you wouldn't panic) and it eventually came back without me missing anything; but the commercial. I was sorely tempted to reboot when this first happened; but I waited it out. Only happened about 2 or 3 times during the game.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Thursday's game was glitch free using the fox sports app, on a SAMSUNG smart TV, with Spectrum as the internet provider in western Massachusetts. The fox sports app did mot mention the game being scheduled until about 1/2 hour before game time. There were a few times when the screen went entirely black with no sound. I finally realized that was "normal" for some commercials (ESPN used to have a message so you wouldn't panic) and it eventually came back without me missing anything; but the commercial. I was sorely tempted to reboot when this first happened; but I waited it out. Only happened about 2 or 3 times during the game.
The blackout thing is annoying and it happened three or four times last night on FoxSports app on Roku tv through Spectrum. I do not recall that happening during first two games, but perhaps it did. Seems as if there was a message during breaks first two games. But the game itself has been fine for all three events. Feel bad for those having issues.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And to add more confusion and disenchantment to the thread: on the Fox Sports app/channel using my Roku stick, tomorrow's game IS LISTED right now. And it was listed yesterday before the Creighton game was listed.
I wonder if it will disappear before tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Fox Sports app on Xfinity in Boston has been the best streaming experience I've ever had.

Reaction Score
The blackout thing is annoying and it happened three or four times last night on FoxSports app on Roku tv through Spectrum. I do not recall that happening during first two games, but perhaps it did. Seems as if there was a message during breaks first two games. But the game itself has been fine for all three events. Feel bad for those having issues.

There were a few times when the screen went entirely black with no sound. I finally realized that was "normal" for some commercials (ESPN used to have a message so you wouldn't panic) and it eventually came back without me missing anything; but the commercial. I was sorely tempted to reboot when this first happened; but I waited it out. Only happened about 2 or 3 times during the game.
I thought the black screen was bad connection so I restart the game 3-4 times ....LOL

Reaction Score
What’s the cost please?
There are a lot of packages. You just ask them what sports package would include SNY. I have never been unable to watch UConn live.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Central Florida here.

We have a Samsung Smart TV. Installed Fox Now on our Apple TV menu. Game came up with no problem initially. Very good picture/ definition. Then the sound went. Reloaded and we had sound for maybe 2 minutes and it went out again.

We switched to YouTube TV. No problem at all.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And to add more confusion and disenchantment to the thread: on the Fox Sports app/channel using my Roku stick, tomorrow's game IS LISTED right now. And it was listed yesterday before the Creighton game was listed.
I wonder if it will disappear before tomorrow.
The Xavier game was part of the original schedule put out by the Big East, the Creighton game was a last minute schedule change when Creighton had a game postponed. Meg had said something about in last nights game.

Reaction Score
If you are streaming Sling onto your TV using a Roku then you should be able to add the Fox Sports and the Fox Now channels by using the Search link on your Roku's Home page. And yes, you have to login to the Fox channel, on your Roku, using your Sling credentials but that should not be a deal breaker.
Thanks for the suggestion but this didn't work for us, unfortunately. We were able to add the channels as suggested but when we went to supply our Sling-TV credentials, Sling wasn't one of the carrier options that Fox offered. Which is weird since when we stream to the computer using Fox' website, we're able to use our Sling ID just fine.

The important thing of course is that we're still able to watch live games, even if they're on the small screen!

Reaction Score
Here’s a recent anecdote regarding internet speed and “throttling“ issues. Our 100+ mbps spectrum internet speed would drop to 3-10 mbps during the evening hours. Making watching any channel or any app a nightmare (pre fox now). Put up with this for a couple weeks.

Did their rebooting dance WAY too many times and finally had a tech out said everything on their end was perfect. He did point out we had a very old plan, and were likely getting squeezed/throttled during crunch times. He thought a plan upgrade would go a long way to solving the problem. There was a lot more tech talk on why the throttle might be happening but I won’t bore you or pretend I understood. He also suggested we use their new modem.

So long story short, we updated to a new 300-450 mbps plan for the same cost, they threw in their free $5 a month router.

Haven’t had any issues since and fox now app has been terrific.
Moral of the story is to check internet speed and to not for years ignore your providers offerings, they’re apparently not all sales pitches.
I use OOKLA speedtest

Reaction Score
Here’s a recent anecdote regarding internet speed and “throttling“ issues. Our 100+ mbps spectrum internet speed would drop to 3-10 mbps during the evening hours. Making watching any channel or any app a nightmare (pre fox now). Put up with this for a couple weeks.

Did their rebooting dance WAY too many times and finally had a tech out said everything on their end was perfect. He did point out we had a very old plan, and were likely getting squeezed/throttled during crunch times. He thought a plan upgrade would go a long way to solving the problem. There was a lot more tech talk on why the throttle might be happening but I won’t bore you or pretend I understood. He also suggested we use their new modem.

So long story short, we updated to a new 300-450 mbps plan for the same cost, they threw in their free $5 a month router.

Haven’t had any issues since and fox now app has been terrific.
Moral of the story is to check internet speed and to not for years ignore your providers offerings, they’re apparently not all sales pitches.
I use OOKLA speedtest

:D I love how they just throw in a free $5 a month router. Curios though, how much more was this new 300-450Mbps plan upgrade versus your "very old plan" of 100+Mbps? Asking for a friend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How can it be Fox Sports with the issue if I did not have any of the problems that you were having? (I am not being nasty but after 25+ years of software testing I know that if it is a problem with the app or Fox streaming connectivity, everyone would have the same issues.)
There are a few possibilities such as your Wi-Fi bandwidth, or your internet provider could be throttling your usage.
While I was watching the game using the Fox Sports channel on my Roku and having no issues, my wife is streaming The Sopranos on HBO MAX using an Xbox with no issues.
Sorry that you had such a bad time and I wish I could help you out...
Centerstream, you sound pretty knowledgeable, maybe you can help me figure out an issue I’m having. I was going to try to send you a PM, but apparently you don’t have that feature turned on.

I have YouTube TV and FiOS gigabyte service. When I use YouTube TV with the resolution set to automatic it comes in a 360 P I force it to 480 P. If I go any higher than that it will get some freezing. If however, I chose Library contacts from YouTube TV, like a movie, that will stream at 720 P or 1080 P without any buffering. Other streaming providers like Hulu stream all their content at a higher resolution without buffering.

I assumed that maybe my TVs Wi-Fi was the issue, but when I connected the TV via ethernet cable directly to the modem the speed didn’t change. Any ideas what the issue could be?

( I route the TV resolutions from memory, so I may have gotten the numbers wrong, sorry if I did.)

Anyway, you sound pretty knowledgeable on this, I was hoping you might have insight as to why it buffers only on YouTube TV life content only. I appreciate any insight you may have. I’ve taken two watching the games through my laptop connecting it to my TV, which works fine, but it’s a little inconvenient. If anyone else has any idea how to fix this, feel free to chime in!

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestion but this didn't work for us, unfortunately. We were able to add the channels as suggested but when we went to supply our Sling-TV credentials, Sling wasn't one of the carrier options that Fox offered. Which is weird since when we stream to the computer using Fox' website, we're able to use our Sling ID just fine.

The important thing of course is that we're still able to watch live games, even if they're on the small screen!
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but when the list of providers is displaying, did you Search for Sling-TV? I know that the first time I had to login to the Fox apps/channels, I had to type in YouTubeTV in order for it to be display and selected...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Centerstream, you sound pretty knowledgeable, maybe you can help me figure out an issue I’m having. I was going to try to send you a PM, but apparently you don’t have that feature turned on.

I have YouTube TV and FiOS gigabyte service. When I use YouTube TV with the resolution set to automatic it comes in a 360 P I force it to 480 P. If I go any higher than that it will get some freezing. If however, I chose Library contacts from YouTube TV, like a movie, that will stream at 720 P or 1080 P without any buffering. Other streaming providers like Hulu stream all their content at a higher resolution without buffering.

I assumed that maybe my TVs Wi-Fi was the issue, but when I connected the TV via ethernet cable directly to the modem the speed didn’t change. Any ideas what the issue could be?

( I route the TV resolutions from memory, so I may have gotten the numbers wrong, sorry if I did.)

Anyway, you sound pretty knowledgeable on this, I was hoping you might have insight as to why it buffers only on YouTube TV life content only. I appreciate any insight you may have. I’ve taken two watching the games through my laptop connecting it to my TV, which works fine, but it’s a little inconvenient. If anyone else has any idea how to fix this, feel free to chime in!
Sorry but you're predicament is above my knowledge level. I have a 4k Roku stick and YouTubeTV and I have yet to check or change the resolution. I have had to change the resolution when watching replays on uconnhuskygames.
We have a business grade fiber optic internet and when we researched getting their TV package, the fine print stated that streaming was not supported because they couldn't guarantee the download and upload speeds and can throttle their services.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry but you're predicament is above my knowledge level. I have a 4k Roku stick and YouTubeTV and I have yet to check or change the resolution. I have had to change the resolution when watching replays on uconnhuskygames.
We have a business grade fiber optic internet and when we researched getting their TV package, the fine print stated that streaming was not supported because they couldn't guarantee the download and upload speeds and can throttle their services.
No problem, thanks for the reply!

Reaction Score

Questions/comments from me. How do you watch YouTube TV, what streaming device....ROKU, Apple TV, Smart TV...etc. Example I use the ROKU (Settings>Display Type> 4K HDR10@60hz HDCP 2.2). The TV itself also needs to be set at same settings. I also have YouTube TV and the internet speed I get at the source (ROKU) is 60+Mbps and frankly I do not have any issues streaming.

Rather than leaving at the "Automatic" for display type force it to what the TV can handle.

From what I'm reading online, your Fios Gigabit Connection provides downloads as fast as 940Mbps and uploads as fast as 880Mbps. For sure you have enough to run 3 to 4 houses at once. :rolleyes: The only thing I can think of, check your streaming service device (Settings for display type) if you're using a Smart TV, then you would only have to check one setting but if you have a streaming device and the TV...check both for display.

EDIT: Although my TV is an LG Oled 4K with Apps, I do not use the apps feature at all, basically just using the TV as it was meant to be used. My ROKU is the Ultra (capable of 4K quality video)

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If
.....your computer can be located close to your tv
..........and both your tv and computer support HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface)
...............and you can acquire an HDMI cable
then
.....you can watch UCONN women's basketball on a large screen

Thank you, Margaret Hamilton!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@CL82 The resolution could be different because of YouTubeTv testing your internet speed and deciding you can not support a higher resolution for their live broadcast. Several things could affect that but it could be that they don't compress their live streams or don't compress them as much as they do with other programming. If it is caused by YouTubeTv's internal speed testing there is likely no solution for you except possibly contacting them (good luck with that) to complain and see if they can check your connection.

Just thought of another check you might be able to do: connect the TV directly to the modem output using an ethernet cable. If that fails to provide better resolution it is either the modem, your service speed or see above.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Change of subject and it is not a big deal but I find it to be kinda funny.
Currently on the Fox Sports app/channel, the Upcoming game listing has the Xavier game being played at the XL Center. :):eek:

CL82

Reaction Score
Questions/comments from me. How do you watch YouTube TV, what streaming device....ROKU, Apple TV, Smart TV...etc. Example I use the ROKU (Settings>Display Type> 4K HDR10@60hz HDCP 2.2). The TV itself also needs to be set at same settings. I also have YouTube TV and the internet speed I get at the source (ROKU) is 60+Mbps and frankly I do not have any issues streaming.

Rather than leaving at the "Automatic" for display type force it to what the TV can handle.

From what I'm reading online, your Fios Gigabit Connection provides downloads as fast as 940Mbps and uploads as fast as 880Mbps. For sure you have enough to run 3 to 4 houses at once. :rolleyes: The only thing I can think of, check your streaming service device (Settings for display type) if you're using a Smart TV, then you would only have to check one setting but if you have a streaming device and the TV...check both for display.

EDIT: Although my TV is an LG Oled 4K with Apps, I do not use the apps feature at all, basically just using the TV as it was meant to be used. My ROKU is the Ultra (capable of 4K quality video)
Thanks for the in-depth reply!

I stream through on my LG TV. My other devices don’t have the same buffering issues, so my assumption is it’s my TVs Wi-Fi. But, when I decided to test that theory by making a direct connection from the router to the TV via ethernet cable, it didn’t resolve the issue. The other thing that makes me doubt that theory is that if I use the same app, YouTube TV, and play it’s stored content from the library, I can get 1080 P resolution without issue. So my problem is normally when I use YouTubeTV for live content. If the issue is the TVs Wi-Fi, then it should be equally slow whether the content is live TV or a download from the library. The other apps I have on my TV, like Hulu, have no problem with speed and buffering.

I am hoping that it is a settings issue, but I haven’t figured it out.

(Oh, and I do “force” the TV speed to go up from 360 P to 480P, which is at least watchable. If I go up to 780 P it’s fine for about 20 seconds and then buffers about every 10 seconds. If I go up to 1080 P it buffers about every three seconds, so it’s definitely a connection speed issue, but only with YouTube TV live.)

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
@CL82 The resolution could be different because of YouTubeTv testing your internet speed and deciding you can not support a higher resolution for their live broadcast. Several things could affect that but it could be that they don't compress their live streams or don't compress them as much as they do with other programming. If it is caused by YouTubeTv's internal speed testing there is likely no solution for you except possibly contacting them (good luck with that) to complain and see if they can check your connection.

Just thought of another check you might be able to do: connect the TV directly to the modem output using an ethernet cable. If that fails to provide better resolution it is either the modem, your service speed or see above.
Yep, I think so too. The question is why is the slower speed only for YouTube TV live. When I manually adjust it, as noted above I can push it to 480 without any buffering. Any higher than that and it lags.

As noted above, I did connect directly to the router, which is a brand new files gigabyte router, and, much to my surprise, it did not correct the issue. I was hoping that it would and I just would run an ethernet connection up through the wall to the TV and eliminate the issue. My working hypothesis is that there is some kind of issue between my TVs Wi-Fi and YouTube TV, that could be eliminated by getting a new TV. I would be OK with that, if I were 100% convinced that it would fix the issue. I’m not quite there yet.

Thanks for the reply, it’s at least helpful for me to run through my thought process and see if I missed anything obvious, or maybe not obvious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just got the Sports Pack that DirecTv offers. $0 for 3 months which includes HBO, Sho, and Cinemax. I called, was told by automated voice Sports Pack was $13.99 per month. Asked to speak to agent. Asked for a deal and got one! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
:D I love how they just throw in a free $5 a month router. Curios though, how much more was this new 300-450Mbps plan upgrade versus your "very old plan" of 100+Mbps? Asking for a friend.
Same price, $64.99

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom