Out in the Cold | The Boneyard

Out in the Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The program simply has to re-dedicate itself to building a very good football program while out in the wilderness, without the assistance of conference affiliation, without friends, without charity. Jeff Hathaway didn't get it, neither did the administration. They didn't realize how desperate the situation was; how badly every team with any pedigree at all was jockeying for position for a conference exit. We were just happy to be here. We did not get it.

Teams that have managed to succeed in the wilderness are, in order of importance:

1. Louisville
2. Utah
3. TCU
4. BYU
5. Boise State
6. UCF
7. ECU
8. Marshall

I can't think of any others. These are teams that, without the assistance of a conference, managed to succeed. The top three have been invited in from the cold. The bottom five are still out there. We are out there, so far, without the glimmer of success. The second we become perceived as football legit we will rise to the top of the survivalists, and someone may reach out to us. Until then, every decision is make or break.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Your top example of a team succeeding without the help of a conference is Louisville???

Do you honestly believe that Louisville did not benefit from being in the Big East, against the likes of WVU and others, with a guaranteed tie in to the BCS bowls? If you believe that, you're kidding yourself...

Reaction Score
To include the likes of ECU and UCF I don't think is fair. Without the benefit of a #1 Men's and Women's basketball programs, they are in essence in the same spot as Uconn. On the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
Your top example of a team succeeding without the help of a conference is Louisville???

Do you honestly believe that Louisville did not benefit from being in the Big East, against the likes of WVU and others, with a guaranteed tie in to the BCS bowls? If you believe that, you're kidding yourself...

Yes, honestly. They were doing quite well before they joined the BE. The BE didn't hurt them, as they continued except for the Kragthorpe bump in the road.
They started BE play in 2005-06. In the preceding years they were:
2004-5 11-1
2003-4 9-4
2002-3 7-6
2001-2 11-2
2000-1 9-3
99-00 7-5
98-99 7-5

I think they managed in CUSA ok, playing teams like Cincinnati, ECU, and a lot of power conference teams. They were on the rise.

Reaction Score
To include the likes of ECU and UCF I don't think is fair. Without the benefit of a #1 Men's and Women's basketball programs, they are in essence in the same spot as Uconn. On the outside looking in.
What I'm saying is, they have managed to be successful on the football field. If we had the same football success as ECU and Marshal, we would not now be in the AAC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes, honestly. They were doing quite well before they joined the BE. The BE didn't hurt them, as they continued except for the Kragthorpe bump in the road.
They started BE play in 2005-06. In the preceding years they were:
2004-5 11-1
2003-4 9-4
2002-3 7-6
2001-2 11-2
2000-1 9-3
99-00 7-5
98-99 7-5

I think they managed in CUSA ok, playing teams like Cincinnati, ECU, and a lot of power conference teams. They were on the rise.

Louisville's athletics budget in 2002 was around 20 million. When they left the Big East this past year, it exceeded 80 million. Continue to kid yourself...

Reaction Score
Louisville's athletics budget in 2002 was around 20 million. When they left the Big East this past year, it exceeded 80 million. Continue to kid yourself...
Peace and love, brother!

Reaction Score
Just yesterday, one of our esteemed Connecticut sportswriters tweeted me that the ACC's biggest objection was Jim Calhoun.

F' em if that was it. Unfortunately, you have to have a lot of things.

My point: there are lost of bumps along this road. My focus remains with your: we have not had the tradition in bigtime football to lag. We need to be competitive and look like we can build this Program to the level of the P5 ... even if it is like Rutgers - faux fanbase and enthusiasm. I do think we have a valuable Brand - from MBB & WBB - and with a little bit of luck (and the Herbst initiative we are on the arc) we can be B1G qualified. That would be awesome - but I think 5 years away. A longtime in the wilderness.

Others? I hope many do well. But, you are kidding yourself if you think the 5th team in North Carolina has real TV value in this. The Florida schools ... I think do.

Reaction Score
lol, Calhoun.....well sure, he's been kicking for over 20 years....of course they can't stand him!

Pudge is exactly right, our biggest liability was the late entry into football. That said, we are an infinitely better prospect than many current members of the P5 and if the ACC doesn't pick us up at some point I think they will deeply regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom