our uniforms | The Boneyard

our uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
some ppl here are not going to like this, some are. first off let me say i am fine with our uniforms now. this thread is not for the whole block C vs other logos argument. just what i see recently. first off the whole Nike followed by UA thing started and i saw that teams started getting different and lighter uniforms. uconn is always one of the first to get them due to our top 10 status in both the mens and womens bball programs. we will always be among the elite when it comes to this with bball. flip side, in fball we haven't sniffed much. we did the white's for the bcs bowl but thats it, those wern't really anything special like we see alot of other schools getting. i'm not forgeting anything right? reminder-again i'm not hating on our current uniforms. while fans may not care so much about them, recruits look at them not just as "cool" but as a sign that the program has $$ flowing/big brand ties-support and direction towards being a popular brand. while i realized uconn football isn't usc football(just like usc bball isn't uconn bball) i am a little suprised some 1 up in storrs doesn't make sure they get some action considering the investment Nike has on the bball side of uconn.

Reaction Score
i don't remember USC ever changing their uniforms.

Reaction Score
im starting to agree with this line of thought.

on the one hand, who cares ??? win games !!!

on the other, the kids (recruits) love the new styles, and fun combinations that are possible.

i hope we at least look at the idea. we could do some cool things with dark gray, light gray, blue, white and maybe some red mixed in for certain times. could also do black....the block C would look cool on black..imo

Reaction Score
My fellow Norwalk resident is correct folks... Although I find it unfortunate... It's called marketing your brand.. in this case the UCONN football brand... It's also the sign of the times... Football's still football but the attire has definitely changed...

Reaction Score
i'm totally for it. Some of the folks on here waste a lot of time harping on Uconn's tradition and roots etc. Let's face it, UConn has been D1 for a decade!! I say lets embrace our reputation as a exciting up and coming program and let that excitement carry over to our uniforms!! I'm all for mixing it up, and I hope one of the added benefits is exposure and added appeal to recruits. I'm not saying I want uniforms as crazy as Maryland's, but EVERYONE was talking about them.

Reaction Score
some ppl here are not going to like this, some are. first off let me say i am fine with our uniforms now. this thread is not for the whole block C vs other logos argument. just what i see recently. first off the whole Nike followed by UA thing started and i saw that teams started getting different and lighter uniforms. uconn is always one of the first to get them due to our top 10 status in both the mens and womens bball programs. we will always be among the elite when it comes to this with bball. flip side, in fball we haven't sniffed much. we did the white's for the bcs bowl but thats it, those wern't really anything special like we see alot of other schools getting. i'm not forgeting anything right? reminder-again i'm not hating on our current uniforms. while fans may not care so much about them, recruits look at them not just as "cool" but as a sign that the program has $$ flowing/big brand ties-support and direction towards being a popular brand. while i realized uconn football isn't usc football(just like usc bball isn't uconn bball) i am a little suprised some 1 up in storrs doesn't make sure they get some action considering the investment Nike has on the bball side of uconn.

We have the lighter stuff

Reaction Score
There was a thread a ways back on the old board about how some basketball programs (tOSU, Miami, I can't remember the others) were going to start donning Lebron James brand jerseys. Someone brought up the issue of recruiting with these jerseys and I brushed off the notion as ridiculous. Well, upon further review, I was dead wrong. As ridiculous as it is, these things play into the minds of recruits. I'm totally on board with switching things up a bit (although I'd probably be pissed about shelling out $60 for a new jersey lol).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
as i expected here so far.a few see how the future is looking across cf and are all for it, a few are just coming around to it and a few are blind to it so they are missing the point by trying to pick little points out of a post with a greater issue.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
We need to win games before we can talk unis.

Didn't need to win games at the D1 level to get a million dollar donation. UConn is a solid brand on the bball side and can gain endorsements for football as a result if they show the commitment to being invested in football.

While I don't agree with it and would never make a decision based on uniforms, the points made earlier in this thread about recruits weighing things like uniforms when considering what school to go to are pretty valid.

Reaction Score
the crazyer the uniforms the more exposure we will get, and as they say no publicity is bad, ever. i think while being able to stay true and classy to our nature we can make some pretty awesome Nike Combat jerseys. Nike even leaked out fake NFL jerseys. here they are: http://www.uni-watch.com/2011/01/02/using-pro-combat-for-good-not-evil-part-i/ click the words home and away next to the team names, to see how cool these could be while staying true to the teams heritage. I think its a great step into the future for us

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It must be the lead pants that are holding us back.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Take a look at these giants uniforms (right colors) for ideas:

5312865919_6f6654a6ed_b.jpg
5298904844_5ec9f29b75_b.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The last thing I want to see us do is go crazy with multiple uniforms but I wouldn't mind one game a year with white helmets (and the block C) and very basic (thinking a darker blue version of the Colts) shirts and white pants.

Reaction Score
I hate ND as much as the next guy, but those uniforms they wore last week (Michigan's too), were awesome!

michigan-notre-dame-under-the-lights-uniforms.jpg

Reaction Score
While I understand the gist of Exit 16's opening post, I think he has a lot of the background information incorrectly stated.

1) When the new uniforms were unveiled prior to the 2009 season, they were stated to use the lightest materials currently available out of Nike. I wouldn't think much has changed in the 2 1/2 years since.
2) The "all whites" that were worn in the Fiesta Bowl were just one of the 4 combinations UConn has worn and can wear durning a game by mixing and matching the blue and white pants and shirts. It was also worn in the ND game of 2009 and other games since. It was not a special uniform, which I believe the OP was trying to refer to as Nike Pro Combat Uniforms.

I understand that the Nike Pro Combat Uniforms are hip, stylish and get the public talking about your school. I also understand that the younger generation and future recruits are loving them. In my mid-30s, I like some of them, but not all. I think many times, Nike can and has gone overboard. I also think that some time in the near future, Nike will choose us for a special game, but to infer that " i am a little suprised some 1 up in storrs doesn't make sure they get some action considering the investment Nike has on the bball side of uconn", is wrong. Not the fact that they should ask, but the fact that Nike should do it for football becuase of our basketball prowess. Let me know when you see Duke, UNC, Kentucky or Kansas (Adidas) is some sort of Pro Combat Uniform, because they have just as powerful of a bball program as us and they aren't getting the "special" treatment in football either.

Reaction Score
I think the white helmet would be cool. That probably goes without saying based on my avatar.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing UConn, for maybe one game/year, go with a metallic/gun metal gray helmet similar to the Raiders /Lions color but a bit darker, with a dark Blue 'C' on it, and the dark blue face mask. Any photo shop experts out there want to take a crack at it.

Reaction Score
I'm liking the white helmet....some more options would be cool

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Uniwatch rates new Nike Pro Combat unis...

If I were a Michigan State fan I'd be unhappy with the inclusion of gold. As Paul says, it looks like Baylor. Other than that, I like the rest. I'd be happy if UConn went with one of these one-time deals, with either a grey (gunmetal, or flat grey) accent or with a red accent to echo the bball unis.

Reaction Score
I think the white helmet would be cool. That probably goes without saying based on my avatar.
I like the white helmet for UCONN too... Would be cool with a American Flag Blue jersey and cool looking white pants with a jazzy looking american flag blue accent on the pants....

Reaction Score
I wouldn't change a thing about our uniforms and helmets. They are classic and look fantastic. They are not the reason by any stretch that recruits would not view us more favorably. What is vastly more important is our inability to get our freaking fannies into our seats by kickoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom