Our Turkish host has a question for the 'Yard... | The Boneyard

Our Turkish host has a question for the 'Yard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
He asks me to ask the Boneyard...

Why is there not more sportsmanship shown on the court between players after a foul when the competing player goes down on the court?

For example in soccer if a player fouls another player and he/she is on the ground, the player committing the foul most times will help the player up after the foul... This is normal in professional soccer games...

Our host remarked that he did not see this in the FIBA games...

BTW, this is not directed at the American team, but as a question of all the teams...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Why is there not more sportsmanship shown on the court between players after a foul when the competing player goes down on the court?

For example in soccer if a player fouls another player and he/she is on the ground, the player committing the foul most times will help the player up after the foul... This is normal in professional soccer games...

BTW, this is not directed at the American team, but as a question of all the teams...
Well one reason soccer players will help an opponent is to show the ref they don't need a card (yellow or red) for the foul. Don't have to worry about that in basketball.

Also if he has been watching the Women's FIBA (I assume) and men's soccer, there is definitely a difference in the way men and women interact/react. It's not so much that men are "better sports", but men can beat the crap out of each other and then go out for a beer. They don't necessarily take it personally. And they seem to have a short memory. Women on the other hand take stuff very personally. And have long memories and can hold grudges for a very long time.

I've reffed soccer for a few years. With guys, if they don't respond right away (get up and slug the guy), then you don't really have to worry too much about it. Sometimes the enforcer will send a message. But with girls, you have to keep an eye on it. They will get even eventually, may be later in the game, may be later in the season, may be next year, but they will get even (or at least try to).

Men are much better at compartmentalizing. With women, everything is connected.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Do the NBA or NCAA men help up their fouled opponents???

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the answer for basketball goes both ways - the fouled player often rejects the 'helping hand' so why offer just to be dissed. And teammates on most teams and definitely on Uconn and the USA team are very quick to go to a downed player and help them up. And in most cases in basketball that a player actually goes to the ground it wasn't intentional nor was the fact the player fell connected to the foul, but just a natural over-balancing or a tangling of legs resulting from two bodies connecting with a lot of momentum.

The times you do see it is when something really awkward occurred and then fouling player had not intended for contact to be as hard or to result in a 'dangerous' situation for the fouled player.

The comment about football is spot on and it is a sport more prone to retaliation and violent collisions and I think important for players to indicate to opponents that a bad foul was not intentionally bad but just awkward. So not just for the benefit of the ref but also of the players

Reaction Score
Well one reason soccer players will help an opponent is to show the ref they don't need a card (yellow or red) for the foul. Don't have to worry about that in basketball.

Also if he has been watching the Women's FIBA (I assume) and men's soccer, there is definitely a difference in the way men and women interact/react. It's not so much that men are "better sports", but men can beat the crap out of each other and then go out for a beer. They don't necessarily take it personally. And they seem to have a short memory. Women on the other hand take stuff very personally. And have long memories and can hold grudges for a very long time.

I've reffed soccer for a few years. With guys, if they don't respond right away (get up and slug the guy), then you don't really have to worry too much about it. Sometimes the enforcer will send a message. But with girls, you have to keep an eye on it. They will get even eventually, may be later in the game, may be later in the season, may be next year, but they will get even (or at least try to).

Men are much better at compartmentalizing. With women, everything is connected.

Ouch. Wife read this message over my shoulder, and I got punched. Point well taken, Meyers

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Usually in women's college basketball, a teammate(s) will run over and help up the player who has been fouled. This tends to clear out the player committing the foul. But, in the UConn conference play, and in post-season play, I have seen opposing players help someone up. It seems like if that happens it is either a friend, or a respected rival who extends the hand. But your friend does raise an interesting point.

Reaction Score
Do the NBA or NCAA men help up their fouled opponents???
You may be onto something here. Soccer fields are big; you knock somebody over, you might be the only person nearby to help them up. In basketball, you knock someone over and their entire team swarms them to help them up in about half a second, while you kind of stand there off to the side making innocent faces at the officials.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think helping the opponent up after a foul in BB could be viewed by the ref as an 'admission' to the foul....Sort of like ..." Yeah , I did it. I'm sorry. Let me help you up". Most players rarily help up an opponent which is why the fouled player teammates rush over to help their teammate up anyway.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Ouch. Wife read this message over my shoulder, and I got punched. Point well taken, Meyers

Why did she punch you? Meyers should be the punchee. The question is, would she help him up after she knocked him down?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Do the Galatasaray and Fenerbahce and Besiktas players really help each other up after knocking each other down? That is not my impression of Turkish football.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Another Roy Harris, eh?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It simply had to be Vince Lombardi. Story goes that an NFL coach noticed his players graciously htlping opponents up at the end of plays. He laced into them: "Godammit, your job is to knock them down, not help them up!"

Reaction Score

I'm not a big soccer fan but from what I saw watching the World Cup there was more helping a player go down on the ground than helping him up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not a big soccer fan but from what I saw watching the World Cup there was more helping a player go down on the ground than helping him up.
That and players going down in a heap and writhing in pain when an opponent was in the same zip code!:rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tina use to do it at UConn, I think they told her to stop... she was being too nice. and they thought she could pull her arm out of socket helping the "enemy"

Reaction Score

We must have been watching different INTERNATIONAL Soccer games--what I have seen , in Brazil were pretty much cuthroat win at all costs games.
I believe that Uconn women if they, accidentally, knock down an opponent (even ND) they will help them up. But some coaches teach every amount of energy you expend pulling up an opponent is energy not used in the game. Uconn as far as I have seen (and their former players too) are fair minded and will give tit for tat---the FIBA games were physical. France and Spain both fouled hard and fouled often too often to be called. I think your Turk friend was watching some high school kids playing in North Dakota--not Europe (Soccer that is). I fear this is just more Anti American bias--you see what you want to see.

Reaction Score
The was an NBA center about 30-40 years ago that explained in a later interview that some of the younger players like to show up the older ones by acting foolish after a nice play. He explained that the next time down court the youngster would get a healthy enough elbow in the chest to knock him down. Upon bending over and offering a hand to lift him up, the center would explain to the youngster that it isn't polite to act foolish toward other players. Maybe that is how the ritual started. :rolleyes:

45 TO GO

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The was an NBA center about 30-40 years ago that explained in a later interview that some of the younger players like to show up the older ones by acting foolish after a nice play. He explained that the next time down court the youngster would get a healthy enough elbow in the chest to knock him down. Upon bending over and offering a hand to lift him up, the center would explain to the youngster that it isn't polite to act foolish toward other players. Maybe that is how the ritual started. :rolleyes:

45 TO GO
That was also the reason most guards learned not to drive the lane - might get away with a layup once, next time around they might get two foul shots if they could get back to their feet, third time they might end up sitting out a week or two nursing a broken nose or something worse. I don't actually remember a guard getting around to trying a third time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom