Our Tournament Odds | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our Tournament Odds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will never be able to process going 0-4 against Temple and Cincy. Decent teams, no world beaters for sure. Figured 2-2 at worst. 3-1 more likely. Not winning any of those games hurts.

It's sickening. We're 3-9 in the regular season against Temple, Tulsa, and cinci over the last two years.

That's a joke. Those are average teams at best. 3-9!

But the coaches are doing a great job. It's all the players fault...

Reaction Score
It's sickening. We're 3-9 in the regular season against Temple, Tulsa, and cinci over the last two years.

Why even bother posting if you're just going to make up stuff like "those teams are average at best".

Reaction Score

What a dumb statement. If they were average teams we wouldnt be 3-9. In those 9 losses we got downright outplayed.

Reaction Score
Why even bother posting if you're just going to make up stuff like "those teams are average at best".

Hah. What am I making up? In the college basketball world, yes these are average teams and average programs. I think cinci was ranked once in those games. Pretty sure temple and Tulsa never were. So we're like 3-8 against unranked cinci Tulsa and temple. SICKKKKK

The average kenpom ranking for those teams over the last two years is 55. Last year they each lost 11 games. This year cinci has 8, Temple and Tulsa 9.

You call those good teams? Cinci is pretty good but Tulsa and temple are t. On the whole these are average teams.

Those stats aren't made up. Now if you want to call them "good teams", go ahead. I certainly wouldn't. And to be 3-9 against them when we are uconn is a joke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hah. What am I making up? In the college basketball world, yes these are average teams and average programs. I think cinci was ranked once in those games. Pretty sure temple and Tulsa never were. So we're like 3-8 against unranked cinci Tulsa and temple. SICKKKKK

The average kenpom ranking for those teams over the last two years is 55. Last year they each lost 11 games. This year cinci has 8, Temple and Tulsa 9.

You call those good teams? Cinci is pretty good but Tulsa and temple are t. On the whole these are average teams.

. I'd love to hear your reply to these stats.
There are 350 D1 basketball teams. According to you, the teams we're talking about have a kenpom ranking of 55. If you try real hard, I think even you can figure out how those teams are not average based upon those 2 facts.

Reaction Score
What a dumb statement. If they were average teams we wouldnt be 3-9. In those 9 losses we got downright outplayed.

What does that even mean? If they we average we wouldn't be 3-9 against them? That makes no sense.

I'm using the term average relative to college basketball. They aren't Duke or Louisville. Or even some NBE schools. Or a lot of pho Rams really. These are middle of the pack programs. Why is that hard to understand? Replace average with ok. These are ok teams. Not particularly good ones. Is that better for you?

Reaction Score

Those stats aren't made up. Now if you want to call them "good teams", go ahead. I certainly wouldn't. And to be 3-9 against them when we are uconn is a joke.
You call them "Average Teams" like we are so much better. Its context. If those teams are playing a top 5 team then yes, you could consider them average teams. However over the last two years their quality stacks up even with UConn, bubble teams.

Reaction Score

If we split with Temple and Cincinnati, and thats asking much...we would currently be 21-6 with an 11-3 record in the league which would put us alone at the top. Thats a lot better than where we are right now and if that was the case, we are probably in the discussion for a 5-6 seed. The home games vs Temple and Cinci were games we could easily have had. That just shows how razor thin the margin if error has been.

Reaction Score
There are 350 D1 basketball teams. According to you, the teams we're talking about have a kenpom ranking of 55. If you try real hard, I think even you can figure out how those teams are not average based upon those 2 facts.

Replace "average" with decent or ok and now id love your counterpoint. Obviously I didn't mean they are literally average statistically speaking.

Reaction Score
Replace "average" with decent or ok and now id love your counterpoint. Obviously I didn't mean they are literally average statistically speaking.

God, shut up. You're wrong. They're not average teams. Cincinnati and Temple, in particular, have long successful histories in college basketball. Cincinnati is a borderline top-25 team. Does "average" mean anyone who isn't ranked to you? They're good teams. Now go away.

Reaction Score
You call them "Average Teams" like we are so much better. Its context. If those teams are playing a top 5 team then yes, you could consider them average teams. However over the last two years their quality stacks up even with UConn, bubble teams.

exactly. They are bubble teams. Not ranked. Not power programs. Bubble teams. Which in my eyes makes them ok or ordinary teams. A synonym for ordinary, of course being average!

And your point about them stacking up with us is exactly my point. We're uconn. They are cinci Tulsa and temple. They shouldn't be stacking up with us. And not only have they, but they consistently beat us.

Which is exactly my point about it being an indictment of the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I guess that's our bad for using the actual definition of average, instead of the alternate make believe definition of average you have created for yourself.

Reaction Score
God, shut up. You're wrong. They're not average teams. Cincinnati and Temple, in particular, have long successful histories in college basketball. Cincinnati is a borderline top-25 team. Does "average" mean anyone who isn't ranked to you? They're good teams. Now go away.

Oh excuse me. No way should we be able to beat a "borderline" top 25 Team. not saying cinci sucks. But we should be able to beat these programs.

average was the wrong word. But what I'm saying is true. It's a joke that we are 3-9 against those teams. And if you think otherwise then you have very low standards for our program.

Reaction Score
Oh excuse me. No way should we be able to beat a "borderline" top 25 Team. not saying cinci sucks. But we should be able to beat these programs.

average was the wrong word. But what I'm saying is true. It's a joke that we are 3-9 against those teams. And if you think otherwise then you have very low standards for our program.

We should be able to, and do we beat similar programs. Yeah, I'm frustrated by the losses, but if you come on here and make erroneous statements, you're going to get criticized for it. Yeah, I want us to be a top-10 team again. Disparaging quality basketball schools like Temple and Cincinnati doesn't get us any closer to that.

Reaction Score
I guess that's our bad for using the actual definition of average, instead of the alternate make believe definition of average you have created for yourself.

according to thesaurus.com, synonyms for average are: fair, mediocre, middle of the road, moderate, ordinary.

Which describes the temple and Tulsas basketball programs perfectly.

Reaction Score
@HuskiesAllDay Also, I'm not sure why you are disregarding conference tournament wins against those teams. I'd imagine if UConn lost to Tulsa, Cincinnati or Temple in the AAC Tournament, you would include those games to support your position.

Reaction Score
We should be able to, and do we beat similar programs. Yeah, I'm frustrated by the losses, but if you come on here and make erroneous statements, you're going to get criticized for it. Yeah, I want us to be a top-10 team again. Disparaging quality basketball schools like Temple and Cincinnati doesn't get us any closer to that.

Fair. But I never said those programs sucked.

My point was that we should not be 3-9 against them. Not even close. And everyone chooses only to argue with me using the word average"

Reaction Score
according to thesaurus.com, synonyms for average are: fair, mediocre, middle of the road, moderate, ordinary.

Which describes the temple and Tulsas basketball programs perfectly.
Over the last two years, it really doesn't describe them perfectly. At all. It's actually an entirely incorrect description.

And Temple historically is a very good program. They are 6th in all time wins.

Reaction Score
Over the last two years, it really doesn't describe them perfectly. At all. It's actually an entirely incorrect description.

And Temple historically is a very good/great program. They are 6th in all time wins.

Unless they're top 5, they're average.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think it's about luck. If we're a 9 seed there is a good chance we end up playing Villanova. And I will take that all day every day. Especially if that game ends up in Brooklyn.

The Villanova team that just steamrolled on the road the Temple team that swept us?

Reaction Score
The Villanova team that just steamrolled on the road the Temple team that swept us?
I meant to say providence. But yes Villanova, the team who's early round loss is more reliable than the mail getting delivered in the rain sleet snow or hail. I'd take Nova over Kansas, UNC, and a bunch of other possibly 1 seeds

Reaction Score

How is it a joke we are 3-9 against them this year? Cincy, Temple, and Tulsa are all dangerous teams that could go far in the tourney this year. And dare I say it, this year those 3 teams may be better than us this season. Those 3 teams take advantage of other team's mistakes while we can't even make a wide open layup after a turnover.

Reaction Score
How is it a joke we are 3-9 against them this year? Cincy, Temple, and Tulsa are all dangerous teams that could go far in the tourney this year. And dare I say it, this year those 3 teams may be better than us this season. Those 3 teams take advantage of other team's mistakes while we can't even make a wide open layup after a turnover.

I think you need to watch some basketball from other conferences. There's very little chance all 3 of those teams all make the tourny, let alone be called dangerous.

Reaction Score
Fair. But I never said those programs sucked.

My point was that we should not be 3-9 against them. Not even close. And everyone chooses only to argue with me using the word average"

That is what the frat boys do. They twist and distort what you say and drone on and on about the definition of a single word when they know damn well what you mean. This is what happens when you insult a "boneyard brother".

In an effort to pile on, they are actually defending being 3-9 against the likes of Temple, Cinci and Tulsa. That is the sad state of the program. If we lost to a D3 program we would hear about how many games that team has won in its long illustrious history.

The good news is that they are right about one thing. We know KO can win a championship with the right players. The thing that concerns the negative nellies was that those players were recruited and developed under Calhoun. It is true that KO was a part of that but the question that lingers is, will KO be more like Calhoun or will he be more like Steve Fisher or Tubby Smith? Actually, Steve Fisher might not be so bad but it would be nice to see KO win more than one.

So, yes, he just needs the right players and, maybe, better assistants. But will he get them? No one really knows the answer to that question. No one. What we do know is that this team has not passed the UConn eye test for two years straight. And we also know that other elite programs reload, literally, every year and win, a lot, in better conferences, with lots of underclassmen on their rosters. At some point, even the eternally optimistic would need to recognize that we have had too many seasons in a row where there is any talk about being even close to the "bubble". Two seasons is not enough to justify any sort of duscontent, and maybe it is best to just let this season play out and see what next season brings but, as upsetting as it may be, it might be wise to at least heat up the seat a little for next year and ask, "what if". It may not be totally fair but coaching at UConn now carries expectations and I for one hope the president and new AD will be thinking about "what if" scenarios, regardless how how "unlikely" some people think they may be. It is only prudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom