Our Surfeit Of Guards | The Boneyard

Our Surfeit Of Guards

Reaction Score
On the surface, it looks like four studs battling for two positions -- a recipe for two unhappy studs.

But the way events unfolded this year suggests that we might do well to await the unfolding of events.

For one thing, the penciling in of Alterique at PG is a show of optimism unusual for this forum. Here is a guy who in his last four games of organized basketball has twice separated his shoulder, each time requiring surgery. What is the likelihood he comes back having lost so little of his mobility and confidence that he is in any way a match for MAL? What is the chance that Rique, an indifferent shooter to date, retains any shooting touch at all?

Vitale, based on shooting alone, will find minutes in the lineup, but he is never going to be the second point KO prefers to have in his backcourt.

The likelihood? Next year's starting backcourt is Jalen and MAL, with Rique and CV coming off the bench, CV as often at the 3 as the 2.

Will these four ever be on the floor together, say in the closing minutes of a tight game? Not likely, because it means you'd be trading the 3-point threat of Vance or Larrier for a questionable shooter in Alterique. You might do it if you needed Rique's handle at point, but with Jalen and MAL as PG options, you don't.

So how does the "surfeit of guards" resolve itself? By the emergence of Jalen and MAL as clearly superior all-around choices and, the relegation, I'm afraid, of Alterique Gilbert to bench duty.

Reaction Score
Disregarding Alterique in the line up next year is a bit premature. Obviously question marks on the injury surround him, but thinking the physicians will have him like new there's no way he's not a big piece of the team and will be the PG with JA off the ball. Chances are if none of the bigs take a huge step there will be many 3 guard line ups throughout the year also.

pj

Reaction Score
It's not a surfeit of guards. We only have 4, and you need 5 as a rule. 4 is barely enough to scrimmage 5-on-5 with 2 guards per squad. The only thing we are rich in is that our 4 guards may all be excellent players. That's a nice situation to be in. And if UConn is truly a blue blood program, that should be a routine occurrence.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's not a surfeit of guards. We only have 4, and you need 5 as a rule. 4 is barely enough to scrimmage 5-on-5 with 2 guards per squad. The only thing we are rich in is that our 4 guards may all be excellent players. That's a nice situation to be in. And if UConn is truly a blue blood program, that should be a routine occurrence.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either. There's plenty of three guard lineups too. MAL and Jalen aren't exactly small either.

Reaction Score
Agreed we could use another guard, preferably one with some size who can shoot.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I can see us often going very small next year like we did in '14. VJ may see some time plugged in at center in the mold of Niels Giffey.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Tell those four guards that we'll have plenty of playing time at center if they're interested. KO promised kids playing time, he just didn't say where.......

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I can see us often going very small next year like we did in '14. VJ may see some time plugged in at center in the mold of Niels Giffey.
It will depend on matchups for the most part unless players solidify claim to a position. I could see Jalen and Alterique opening up together depending upon his shoulder and fitness. We're going to need a PG available when Jalen goes out, so it might make sense to stagger Gilbert's time. MAL ... total unknown as far as readiness to contribute at this level, but he could be a real asset if he can give solid, effective minutes. It seems to me that MAL can gain minutes by being a defensive presence, as well as a penetrator.

Reaction Score
I think KO will be delighted to deal with the perceived problem of having too many talented guards.
Practice will be hype. We might have 2 of the 5 best backcourts in the conference and deepest in the country

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If we play VJ at the 4 with Durham at the 5 alongside Gilbert, Jalen, and Vital that'd be very reminiscent of those Nova teams from the 2000s that were a nightmare to guard with 5 high bball IQ guys who can all shoot. I'd be on board with that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did Kemba start and play big minutes as freshman? No. Name a UConn PG that did and the list is short. KEA. MAL will be on the bench quite a bit, learning. That's as a it should be.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Did Kemba start and play big minutes as freshman? No. Name a UConn PG that did and the list is short. KEA. MAL will be on the bench quite a bit, learning. That's as a it should be.
"...the list is short. KEA."
I see what you did there.

Reaction Score
Also I don't think a lot remember that Kemba wasn't a knockdown shooter until junior year. Used to yell at him all the time for driving in to the trees and getting stripped. that went on for 2 years. Upshot is this Jalen and Vital could make big leaps. Gilbert is starting from scratch unfortunately.

Reaction Score
The best news to me is that we should have some more dribble penetration than Jalen next year. If we have a couple of star slashers that should mean we're able to get the guys not doing the slashing some nice open threes, should get the %s up lets hope

Reaction Score
Difference here though is Niels was a very good and versatile defender, can't really say that about Vance yet.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I like what I saw from Vital and I think he should get the nod over AG and MAL. Being 4 at the guard posiion is a good problem to have. I hope all four scrap for minutes. I can definitely see us in a 3 guard lineup with VJ as a stretch 4. Matchup nightmare, IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom