Our Shy Husky racks up another NIL deal | The Boneyard

Our Shy Husky racks up another NIL deal

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Ducharme has become one of 50 student ambassadors for Bumble, a social media app that fosters connections.

Bumble announced this summer that it was partnering with 50 women in college athletics to honor the 50th anniversary of Title IX. The NIL deal for Ducharme and the other athletes will include events, media, and serving as campus ambassador.

Reaction Score
Excellent comparison! As a lifelong Celtic & Husky fan, I am embarrassed that I didn’t come up with that comparison between Caroline and Hondo.

Ahem, I have to jump in and say in a thread last winter I said she totally reminded me of Hondo John Havlicek - and I was thrilled at her style and play. :D:D

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Reading this in the context of the vast difference in acclaim between Sue Bird and Sylvia Fowles on the occasion of their respective retirements as players, which was the subject of an NYT article a few weeks ago that I mentioned in another thread, I'm starting to wonder (i.e., worry) if we're seeing a similar trend here.

NIL was around last year, but Liv / Christyn / Evina didn't get a lot of NIL activity that I heard about. With all the "Mama E" hoopla on The Boneyard, I would have expected that Evina would get some. After all, her basketball stats were as good as Caroline's.

What do Paige and (shy) Caroline have in common besides playing basketball at UConn? Just askin' ...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope the rest of our players get some "group" NIL proceeds too. I'm not talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, just spending and walking around money. Some of them could really use it. Goodness knows there is enough of it to go around. Some high profile football players at your high profile football programs (Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, USC, etc....) are making millions.

I'm surprised a LARGE business or corporation in Connecticut has not approached Geno or the AD to have the women's basketball team "collectively" promote their business yet. Maybe they have and we just haven't heard about it yet. :rolleyes: I'll be looking for that announcement in the days and weeks to come. I say collectively because some of our players (our incoming newbies) are hardly known outside of WCBB and the state of Connecticut.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Reading this in the context of the vast difference in acclaim between Sue Bird and Sylvia Fowles on the occasion of their respective retirements as players, which was the subject of an NYT article a few weeks ago that I mentioned in another thread, I'm starting to wonder (i.e., worry) if we're seeing a similar trend here.

NIL was around last year, but Liv / Christyn / Evina didn't get a lot of NIL activity that I heard about. With all the "Mama E" hoopla on The Boneyard, I would have expected that Evina would get some. After all, her basketball stats were as good as Caroline's.

What do Paige and (shy) Caroline have in common besides playing basketball at UConn? Just askin' ...
They share the vowels a, e, and i in their first names? :confused:

Reaction Score
I hope the rest of our players get some "group" NIL proceeds too. I'm not talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, just spending and walking around money. Some of them could really use it. Goodness knows there is enough of it to go around. Some high profile football players at your high profile football programs (Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, USC, etc....) are making millions.

I'm surprised a LARGE business or corporation in Connecticut has not approached Geno or the AD to have the women's basketball team "collectively" promote their business yet. Maybe they have and we just haven't heard about it yet. :rolleyes: I'll be looking for that announcement in the days and weeks to come. I say collectively because some of our players (our incoming newbies) are hardly known outside of WCBB and the state of Connecticut.
I think if the companies see NIL opportunity’s that are beneficial to all parties involved then deals will get done. These are really tough times with the economy being so lousy. Really need to be frugal.

Reaction Score
Bumble doesn’t sound like a big deal. I’m hopeful Caroline and others get bigger deals, which can actually enable them to earn a living.

Reaction Score

Ducharme has become one of 50 student ambassadors for Bumble, a social media app that fosters connections.

Bumble announced this summer that it was partnering with 50 women in college athletics to honor the 50th anniversary of Title IX. The NIL deal for Ducharme and the other athletes will include events, media, and serving as campus ambassador.
Caroline, was my favorite Husky, but now, finding out she is SHY! I have to rethink the 11 players. Times up, I rethought it, she isn't shy with a basketball in her hands--that's all that matters. I'm tickled for Ms Ducharme, the Charming one.

Reaction Score

Nice posting, per usual. I'm hopeful every kid partakes of the NIL. I do however doubt that the Freshmen will be long WITHOUT NIL. Eniz, especially, her personality jumps out at you in her pictures.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Shy, may be a term used for Caroline, that isn't the way she plays the game. The similarity with Paige is in personality. Neither has much fear on the court. Both come across as intelligent, bright, and wanting the most difficult shot in the game. The MUST be made Shot. Caroline as a brand new Frosh and Paige same wording, as a freshman, wanted that shot. There are 20 or so adjectives that could be used for either--for me; Caroline and Paige are the best adjectives for them, that speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
I have 2 friends who are sports agents with international clients. Paige Bueckers made $900,000 last season, with a projection of 1.6 million this year. Azzi Fudd's numbers were $360,000 and this years projection at $650,000/ just for a point of reference

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nice posting, per usual. I'm hopeful every kid partakes of the NIL. I do however doubt that the Freshmen will be long WITHOUT NIL. Eniz, especially, her personality jumps out at you in her pictures.
Unfortunately foreign players are not allowed to benefit from NIL contracts. I believe it has something to do with taxes.

Reaction Score
I have 2 friends who are sports agents with international clients. Paige Bueckers made $900,000 last season, with a projection of 1.6 million this year. Azzi Fudd's numbers were $360,000 and this years projection at $650,000/ just for a point of reference
Agreed. Is Caroline worth deals like that? I think so. It's just going to take some time. Maybe the Bumble deal is big but I doubt it. They have 50 representatives. Caroline doesn't have the social media following of Paige and Azzi but hopefully she has a big year this year and builds her following. I'm just saying I'd like to see her get some big deals. She's a great young woman. I do sponsorship deals with athletes sometimes. Just $1000 type transactions. I'm not mega loaded like Nike...etc. Some deals are big and some are relatively small. Even a small deal can help though.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately foreign players are not allowed to benefit from NIL contracts. I believe it has something to do with taxes.
I believe the problem is with student visas. Not allowed to earn money while on a student visa is intended (I believe) to keep people from coming to the U.S. for the sole purpose of working, instead of being a student. Work visas are harder to get, but if you had one then no problem with NIL. Pros have to get work visas. Maybe we need another kind of visas, a student/NIL visa.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe the problem is with student visas. Not allowed to earn money while on a student visa is intended (I believe) to keep people from coming to the U.S. for the sole purpose of working, instead of being a student. Work visas are harder to get, but if you had one then no problem with NIL. Pros have to get work visas. Maybe we need another kind of visas, a student/NIL visa.
Foreign students are allowed to work on campus (work/study). But NIL programs technically involve non-college related income and are prohibited as you indicate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom