Our offensive line is pretty good | The Boneyard

Our offensive line is pretty good

Reaction Score
They opened huge holes for the running game today. And they gave Pindell a lot of time to pass. This wasn't unusual. They have been good all year. Not perfect, but our best unit by far.

If Mensah didn't go down on first contact virtually every time, he would have had 200+ yards.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Offense kept the fight up all game until the bitter end. That's what I want to see at ECU and against Temple. Defense isn't going to stop either of those offenses so gotta score in the 50s or more to have an outside shot at a win.

Reaction Score
I have seen some people calling the offensive lines’s performance poor this season. They have actually been above average to dominant. Especially since inserting Nino Leone into the lineup. I still can’t figure out why it took so long, he is an absolute mauler and actually is pretty agile at the second level. In a team with a ton of problem areas, offensive line isn’t one of them.

Reaction Score
I have seen some people calling the offensive lines’s performance poor this season. They have actually been above average to dominant. Especially since inserting Nino Leone into the lineup. I still can’t figure out why it took so long, he is an absolute mauler and actually is pretty agile at the second level. In a team with a ton of problem areas, offensive line isn’t one of them.
I would have to agree. If the offensive line continues to improve they will be one of the top lines in the AAC.

Reaction Score

It hasn’t been poor, but it hasn’t been good either. People think it’s great because they’re comparing it to previous years. They are getting better and should be the best offensive unit next year. The problem is that the BY is overrating them (shocker) and we have no QB, RB, TE, or WR’s who have proven themselves at this level.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ummm, The offensive line played well today, especially in the second half. Pindell did have a pocket to work with much more often today than anytime I can recall this year. However, prior to today, I can't say they outplayed their competition (opposing Dline) once this year. They have matched some teams, but never outplayed. Today they outplayed SMU in the second half.

Do it again vs ECU and Temple to convince me we have turned the corner (and my god can something show improvement around here?!).

I suppose we are improved vs those Syracuse and Boise games...those were ugly for the Oline.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As mobile as Pindell is as a QB about half the sacks he takes are b cause he holds on to the ball in the ticket too long.

Agree. And it's too bad he never developed the throwing touch. He throws a beautiful ball and has a bit of strength. Just not accurate. You can see him trying to guide some throws now when he short arms a few. If he ever figures out the touch part (maybe Canada?), he would have tools that some QBs dream of having. He's so fast and shifty in the open field. Really wish we had him in Edsall's first tenure. Exactly what we could have used to beat WVU back then.

Reaction Score
Ummm, The offensive line played well today, especially in the second half. Pindell did have a pocket to work with much more often today than anytime I can recall this year. However, prior to today, I can't say they outplayed their competition (opposing Dline) once this year. They have matched some teams, but never outplayed. Today they outplayed SMU in the second half.

Do it again vs ECU and Temple to convince me we have turned the corner (and my god can something show improvement around here?!).

I suppose we are improved vs those Syracuse and Boise games...those were ugly for the Oline.

I disagree with this. The offensive line has been very good, even better when Leone came in. There are consistently holes opened in the running game.

Offensive lines always get the blame for sacks but Pindell’s footwork and poor pocket discipline has led to a lot of sacks. Last week they ran what should have been a quick, two step drop, for example. Pindell barely took a step back, held the ball and got a sack. The lines blocks were actually the exact way you are supposed to block that protection.

I have not seen a line like this since Coach Foley’s heyday.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Huge holes for Mensah today. He lacks the breakaway speed for long runs though

Loved Mensah's energy today. Came to the yard ready to play and kept fighting in the 2H down BIG. He'll definitely be the focal point of 2019's offense with a new QB. Really hope he works on catching balls in the offseason and become a full weapon.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The offense looked good as bad as the defense looked.

Tale of two games

Reaction Score
It's been the most consistent unit on the team. Good news is 4 guys should return as starters. Why Edsall continues to do zilch to develop the QB spot for next year in game action would be mind boggling if you didn't remember its Edsall.

Reaction Score
Agree. And it's too bad he never developed the throwing touch. He throws a beautiful ball and has a bit of strength. Just not accurate. You can see him trying to guide some throws now when he short arms a few. If he ever figures out the touch part (maybe Canada?), he would have tools that some QBs dream of having. He's so fast and shifty in the open field. Really wish we had him in Edsall's first tenure. Exactly what we could have used to beat WVU back then.
Wish he was coming back...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I disagree with this. The offensive line has been very good, even better when Leone came in. There are consistently holes opened in the running game.

Offensive lines always get the blame for sacks but Pindell’s footwork and poor pocket discipline has led to a lot of sacks. Last week they ran what should have been a quick, two step drop, for example. Pindell barely took a step back, held the ball and got a sack. The lines blocks were actually the exact way you are supposed to block that protection.

I have not seen a line like this since Coach Foley’s heyday.
Today was a good day. I don't dispute that at all.

Year to date:
Lost to UCF 56-17 <--We moved the ball some, but we didn't outplay their Dline per se. Total O yards 486.
Lost to Boise State 62-7 <--Boise had total control of our Oline. Total O yards 193.
Beat URI 56-49 <--Our Oline outplay their Dline. Total O yards 584.
Lost to Syracuse 51-21 <--Our OT couldn't handle their DEs. Total O yards 395.
Lost to Cincy 49-7 <--Couldn't have been a very good Oline if we had just 7 points. Total O yards just 266.
Lost to Memphis 55-14 <--Same, didn't play very well here either. Total O yards: 327.
Lost to South Floirda 38-30 <--Okay, you could say the OLine outplayed FL since we moved the ball with some regularity and were in this game late. Total O yards 455.
Lost to UMass 22-17 <--Rain game - Total O yards only 265. I would say we did not outplay the UMass Dline.
Lost to Tulsa 49-19 <--Rain game - we moved the ball, but can't say our OLine outplayed Tulsa's Dline. Total O yards: 487 (good chunk in garbage time)
Lost to SMU 62-50 <--Yeah, our Oline outplayed their Dline, especially in the second half. Total O yards: 580

So, I would score it URI, USF, SMU were good games for the OLine, the remaining seven games advantage opposition.

Lets see about next week. The SMU game could be the corner we have been looking to turn.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Today was a good day. I don't dispute that at all.

Year to date:
Lost to UCF 56-17 <--We moved the ball some, but we didn't outplay their Dline per se. Total O yards 486.
Lost to Boise State 62-7 <--Boise had total control of our Oline. Total O yards 193.
Beat URI 56-49 <--Our Oline outplay their Dline. Total O yards 584.
Lost to Syracuse 51-21 <--Our OT couldn't handle their DEs. Total O yards 395.
Lost to Cincy 49-7 <--Couldn't have been a very good Oline if we had just 7 points. Total O yards just 266.
Lost to Memphis 55-14 <--Same, didn't play very well here either. Total O yards: 327.
Lost to South Floirda 38-30 <--Okay, you could say the OLine outplayed FL since we moved the ball with some regularity and were in this game late. Total O yards 455.
Lost to UMass 22-17 <--Rain game - Total O yards only 265. I would say we did not outplay the UMass Dline.
Lost to Tulsa 49-19 <--Rain game - we moved the ball, but can't say our OLine outplayed Tulsa's Dline. Total O yards: 487 (good chunk in garbage time)
Lost to SMU 62-50 <--Yeah, our Oline outplayed their Dline, especially in the second half. Total O yards: 580

So, I would score it URI, USF, SMU were good games for the OLine, the remaining seven games advantage opposition.

Lets see about next week. The SMU game could be the corner we have been looking to turn.

This analysis is incomplete.

The reason I say that is because most teams have defenses that give them the ball back, often with good field position. Also, you can't underestimate the effect of being emotionally removed from the game when the defense cannot stop the opponent. Those two factors are huge. And yet the offense keeps on trucking.

Kudos to those young men who continue to perform in such adversity...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I just don’t see how you can say they have out played the other guy more than three times this year out of 10. That has nothing to do with if they are improving, because they have improved.... although, Pindell’s unconventional abilities do cloud the eye test a bit.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see how you can say they have out played the other guy more than three times this year out of 10. That has nothing to do with if they are improving, because they have improved.... although, Pindell’s unconventional abilities do cloud the eye test a bit.

You are confusing the offensive design --hold the ball to protect the defense-- with the offensive line play. The design is to blame for our poor offensive performances. Your list just places the blame on the OL shoulders with zero analysis. The OL has given Pindell more than enough time to get the ball off. Our WR do not get separation. You are confusing coverage and indecision with line play. And the holes are there. Our RBs hardly ever break a tackle, in fact, they usually go down on first contact. I trust my eyes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are confusing the offensive design --hold the ball to protect the defense-- with the offensive line play. The design is to blame for our poor offensive performances. Your list just places the blame on the OL shoulders with zero analysis. The OL has given Pindell more than enough time to get the ball off. Our WR do not get separation. You are confusing coverage and indecision with line play. And the holes are there. Our RBs hardly ever break a tackle, in fact, they usually go down on first contact. I trust my eyes.
This is classic boneyard. The Oline has a single good game and suddenly they re-remember the entire season up to that point differently. Pindell bobs and weaves to success more than he holds the ball too long for sacks. This Oline has really had just one good game - SMU.

Reaction Score
So, true. As good as Pindel is, he’s not a great QB in the sense he holds the ball way too long, relying on his feet to buy time and waiting for recievers to come open after the initial timing route window closes. He doesn’t see second and third options until way after their routes start breaking down and get extended..

Reaction Score
The OL has greatly improved and Mensah will be one of the better backs in the conference next season. God only knows what we’ll have under center.

We are litereally without play at LB. I have never seen a team gashed as consistently as we are between the tackles. I don’t know how that gets corrected by next season.

Reaction Score
Sorry E4, I agee with Pal on this one. Pindell’s instinct is to run first — given his running ability I don’t blame him. Zavier Scott does go down after first contact a lot — hopefully a year of maturity will help him there so he can better take advantage of his natural speed. Mensah breaks more tackles but could be better at it. I believe the OLine will be a strength next year.

Reaction Score
Sorry E4, I agee with Pal on this one. Pindell’s instinct is to run first — given his running ability I don’t blame him. Zavier Scott does go down after first contact a lot — hopefully a year of maturity will help him there so he can better take advantage of his natural speed. Mensah breaks more tackles but could be better at it. I believe the OLine will be a strength next year.
E4 is one of the more sane folks, so you know the season is getting under everybody’s skin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom