Our "Must Win" Games Moving Forward | The Boneyard

Our "Must Win" Games Moving Forward

Reaction Score
I hate the term "must win", but I feel confident that the following upcoming games are must-wins for our season:

Wednesday, January 18th at Seton Hall
Saturday, February 11th at Creighton
Saturday, March 4th at Villanova

Why?

The first two games are some of the better programs remaining on the away schedule.

The Villanova game? Mojo baby. Last win against Villanova on the road? 2012.

Finishing the regular season with a road win against the conference's paragon program over the last decade would be a sweet start to March.

We got this. I love this team. I love the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
One can't really call a game a "must win" unless one also specifies and answer to the question, "Or else what?"

Some examples:
  • Lest we miss out on a 1-seed in the Big Dance, every remaining game (except maybe Big East semis or final) is likely a must win
  • Lest the Boneyard reaches code red apocalypse meltdown, Sunday's game is a must win.
For any other outcomes, I don't think any single game is a must win yet. As far as winning the league, it's too early to judge. We could win out and still not win the conference, or we could lose another game or two and still finish first.

In conclusion, if the one true goal is the national championship, then there are only 6 remaining Must-Wins on the schedule, and they all happen after March 12th.

Reaction Score
We have 1 more game against Providence, Marquette, Xavier, Creighton.

Go 2-2 against these 4, win every other game, and we’re in a great spot. MSG will be kind to us in the BET.

That said, 2-2 in those 4 games would be disappointing since 3 of them are at home

Reaction Score

Go 2-2 against these 4, win every other game, and we’re in a great spot. MSG will be kind to us in the BET.

That said, 2-2 in those 4 games would be disappointing since 3 of them are at home
We better sweep Providence, Marquette, and Xavier at home.

Reaction Score

we cannot get swept by any of X, PC, or Marquette. need to win our home games against them.

Reaction Score

we need to win all 4 of those games to get our respectibility back. these are the teams we need to beat.

Reaction Score
we need to win all 4 of those games to get our respectibility back. these are the teams we need to beat.
I agree it would go a long way to boost morale and confidence, but I’m not sure 13-0 for the rest of the season (17-3 BE record) is the most realistic expectation

I hope it happens though!

Reaction Score
End the Big East regular season at 15-5 and we're in prime position for a top 2 or 3 seed in March. Ideally we get revenge against these road losses though for the sake of the Boneyard

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Who was the guy in an earlier thread who couldn't wrap his head around the concept that us going undefeated in BE regular season was super unlikely?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We better sweep Providence, Marquette, and Xavier at home.
This. This is the difference between a the narrative being how tough it is to win on the road in the big east versus UConn being overrated early in the season.

Reaction Score
don't forget, for obvious reasons:
01/31/23 - @ DePaul
02/04/23 - @ Georgetown

Reaction Score
I will say we lost ALOT of "must win" games in both 2011 and 2014. That being said for me the must win games are the big east tournament games. I care more about us having momentum going into the tournament than a top 1/2 seed. Now if we lose a few more games and start seeing that top 4 seed slip away then I will go into panic mode

Reaction Score
I'd take winning 2 of those 3.
If we lose at Seton Hall and at Villanova, stick a fork in the season. Those are 2 less than mediocre teams. Honestly so is Creighton. I mean 9-8 through 17 games is practically the definition of mediocrity. If we are in fact a top team, we should win all 3. But I’m willing to allow for one bad loss and they have had our number. Great coaches win when they need to and when they should. Average coaches lose and have excuses about why they did.

Reaction Score
I will say we lost ALOT of "must win" games in both 2011 and 2014. That being said for me the must win games are the big east tournament games. I care more about us having momentum going into the tournament than a top 1/2 seed. Now if we lose a few more games and start seeing that top 4 seed slip away then I will go into panic mode
Just stop. Our current backcourt wouldn’t be backups on either of those teams. We have no Lamb. We have no Shabaz and no Boatright. And you know what else? Those teams were battle tested. The 2011 team. The original Big East had 7 top 25 teams including 3 top 10. In 2014 the American got screwed by the Selection committee but still had 4 Top 25 teams including a top 5. Both were superior to the current NOOBIE at the top at least. 2011 was maybe one of the most brutal leagues ever.

Reaction Score
Sunday is a must win at home versus the Johnnie’s. Take it from there but they need to keep some kind of national momentum and going to 4-4 in the BE won’t allow that.

Must win noon Sunday

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom