Our Marketing Sucks | The Boneyard

Our Marketing Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is a football game tomorrow that if we win could get us into a bowl game and enhance the perception of our team. However, I was at the men's basketball game last night and there was nothing on the big screen except something about a food can drive. No announcement on the PA to get your butt to the game. These are desparate times and we can't even pump up the volume on our last game and senior day to boot.

While there is an article in the Courant about the seniors, nothing imploring non-season ticket holders to get to the game. Maybe they don't know that there are plenty of good seats still available. I have now idea how may have been sold, but it would have been nice to know. I'm going to guess that there will be 10,000 unsold tickets.

Last night they should have said, bring a can of food and get $10 off the price of your ticket and $5 off parking.

That is why we are being constantly passed up... Also, the attendance at the game was a disgusting too.

Reaction Score
People seriously got to stop blaming the fans. No one in the ACC or the B1G gives a if we sell out against Cincinnati tomorrow. They also don't care if we had good attendance on a Thursday night at the XL Center against New Hampshire.

If and when UConn gets into a new conference, it'll be about TV viewership and that's it.

That said, people should be going to the Cincy game tomorrow because it'll be a good time, we have a chance to make a bowl, and seniors deserve a nice sendoff. Not because of realignment though.

APA

Reaction Score
There is a football game tomorrow that if we win could get us into a bowl game and enhance the perception of our team. However, I was at the men's basketball game last night and there was nothing on the big screen except something about a food can drive. No announcement on the PA to get your butt to the game. These are desparate times and we can't even pump up the volume on our last game and senior day to boot.

While there is an article in the Courant about the seniors, nothing imploring non-season ticket holders to get to the game. Maybe they don't know that there are plenty of good seats still available. I have now idea how may have been sold, but it would have been nice to know. I'm going to guess that there will be 10,000 unsold tickets.

Last night they should have said, bring a can of food and get $10 off the price of your ticket and $5 off parking.

That is why we are being constantly passed up... Also, the attendance at the game was a disgusting too.
There was an announcement, prior to the start, by the young woman who was on camera at the baseline.

Reaction Score
There was an announcement, prior to the start, by the young woman who was on camera at the baseline.

OK, must have missed it, walked in when they were announcing the players. Still the point is they need to be more aggressive and our marketing has been passive for the most part.

Our state is mostly a "What's new and exciting" . The Whaler's joined the NHL and we constantly had sellouts. They they had the great run in 1986 where we were at capacity most nights. Once the team started getting dismantled (bye Ronnie) and the ticket prices kept going up, the diehard remained, but the shine was off the product for most.

The same is true with Uconn. We were a nice little regional program in a 4,500 seat gym, we just to the BE, hire a great coach and build a new basketball facility. It was the place to be seen for the what's new and exciting crowd. We won a few championships and we peaked in attendance. We were the underdogs that climbed the mountain and everyone loved it. Then we got complacent. We stopped finishing in first, all the games were on TV and it wasn't the place to be anymore.

In football, we did the same thing. Got into a conference, hired a new coach and built a new stadium. It was an uphill climb. It was great to root for our little underdog program. The competition was very good and being at the game was the place to be. But once we climbed the mountain, lost most of the conference and coach, the program took a turn in the wrong direction and the shine was off again.

If we ever did have a down turn were we were consistently at the bottom of our new conference for many years and we had a dream season again, we might put the bloom back on the rose. As the shiny happy people will return until the cycle repeats itself.

Reaction Score
People seriously got to stop blaming the fans. No one in the ACC or the B1G gives a **** if we sell out against Cincinnati tomorrow. They also don't care if we had good attendance on a Thursday night at the XL Center against New Hampshire.

If and when UConn gets into a new conference, it'll be about TV viewership and that's it.

That said, people should be going to the Cincy game tomorrow because it'll be a good time, we have a chance to make a bowl, and seniors deserve a nice sendoff. Not because of realignment though.

Finally, someone mentions that the customer shouldn't blamed by not buying the product. There are usually two reasons. 1) they don't know enough about the product. or that the product even exist, or 2) the product lacks the quality necessary to lure demanding customers.

It's been noted, bunches and bunches of times, that customers (sports fans) in this area can afford to be discerning when deciding where to spend money on entertainment. An entertainment vendor has to stand out or it won't survive. The worst thing a product vendor can do is the blame the ("dumb") market especially if it stops efforts to fix the real problem; the damn product.

A major reason for my frustration is that I am absolutely positive that the combination of capable, charismatic coach, winning, exciting football and well directed promotion will generate a waiting list. I'd bet on it. and gambling is one of the few sewers I stay away from.

Reaction Score
People seriously got to stop blaming the fans. No one in the ACC or the B1G gives a **** if we sell out against Cincinnati tomorrow. They also don't care if we had good attendance on a Thursday night at the XL Center against New Hampshire.

If it's all about TV viewership why did UL get in ahead of us? We have in a far bigger TV market and we touch both NYC and Boston markets. Attendance is not the sole factor, but it is an important factor because it gauges the popularity and upside of a program.

Reaction Score
I've heard more radio ads for Hartford Hawks basketball than anything UConn over the past month.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Warde is monitoring the airwaves
He should be doing more than monitoring the Airwaves... He should be ON the Airwaves pumping the product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom