our last tournament win | The Boneyard

our last tournament win

Reaction Score
not a ton of great basketball on tonight, so i decided to revisit our last tournament win courtesy of uconnhuskygames.com.

a couple of observations:
  • our offense in the first half was... non-existent almost. at least outside of iso-ball and quick shots in transition. kind of a far-cry from the stuff we have run this season, as much as folks complain about it.
  • the refs were horrible! i don't know if cbb refs have gotten better in the last five years (fewer ticky-tack calls) or if i am just spoiled by the big east crews.
  • scott murdered us in inside all game. as good as brimah was as a shot-blocker, i am really thankful to have strength and rebounding down low this year.
  • the last few minutes are shocking. we couldn't handle the press at all and nearly gave up the game. thankfully gibbs was nails at the line.
  • the indelible images from this game, for me, are the two consecutive steals in the second half and then the third steal where hamilton dunks and does the "airplane" celebration. 2015-16 was a really talented team, but soo different from this year's squad.

Reaction Score
Ya know, I was just watching that game and the Kansas game after that a few days ago. I really liked that team and it gave me one of my best memories, watching Jalen's shot against Cinci with my mom. That team had some really good players on it. Stinks they got stuck playing Kansas second round.

Reaction Score
That seems like such a long time ago...probably because five years is a long time. If that team played a little better earlier in the season and picked up a few more good wins, they probably move up from the 8/9 seed and have a better chance at advancing to the second weekend.

Reaction Score
Ya know, I was just watching that game and the Kansas game after that a few days ago. I really liked that team and it gave me one of my best memories, watching Jalen's shot against Cinci with my mom. That team had some really good players on it. Stinks they got stuck playing Kansas second round.
And Kansas couldn't miss against us, and looked ordinary in their next game.

Reaction Score
That team under-performed it’s talent level to a major degree, making it the second consecutive Ollie-coached team to do so.

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton was one of the most unique players ever at UConn. Never very efficient from the floor but I loved watching him play.
DH leaving after his sophomore year before he was ready was one of our all-time biggest bummers. He would have been a monster as a junior with a full offseason of shooting hundreds of jumpers a day. The Cincy 3OT game he really showed that rare takeover gene. DD left too soon as well, but at least went out on top. Felt like DH left when still scratching the surface.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom