Our Identity | The Boneyard

Our Identity

Reaction Score
What is going to be our identity this season? I think we'll be elite defensively again. But how our offense will look post bouk is probably the most pressing question

Reaction Score
Be quick but don't hurry, John Wooden. I believe we have to utilize our whole roster and that should be one of our strengths. Akok being healthy and hopefully getting back to form would help so much. Run be under control but run, use our long roster.

Reaction Score
Elite defensively, average offensively, complaints high about us not running enough in transition

I would expect this. We have the personnel to run, and should run, but our coach doesn't like to coach that style despite our recruiting (which seems to have changed in 2022 a lot). He hate TOs, and a fast style of play is always going to lead to some more TOs, especially with the guards we had. If we do see a change and we run more, that would be AMAZING. I hope that the assistants can get Hurley to prioritize and utilize our 3 point shooters more as well.

Our defense is always going to be in-your-face half-court man to man defense primarily. It will be excellent--we have the personnel. I think with this more experienced team we see a bit more press... Rese, Andre, Hawkins, Johnson, Whaley will be phenomenal in the press.

I doubt we ever play a zone. It's just not Hurley's DNA.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I would expect this. We have the personnel to run, and should run, but our coach doesn't like to coach that style despite our recruiting (which seems to have changed in 2022 a lot). He hate TOs, and a fast style of play is always going to lead to some more TOs, especially with the guards we had. If we do see a change and we run more, that would be AMAZING. I hope that the assistants can get Hurley to prioritize and utilize our 3 point shooters more as well.

Our defense is always going to be in-your-face half-court man to man defense primarily. It will be excellent--we have the personnel. I think with this more experienced team we see a bit more press... Rese, Andre, Hawkins, Johnson, Whaley will be phenomenal in the press.

I doubt we ever play a zone. It's just not Hurley's DNA.

I’m not sure that we have the shooters to be a team that relies on their half court sets. We need easy buckets before the other team sets up its defense. That allows us to take advantage of the raw athleticism on the team. Absent some pleasant surprises in our range and accuracy on the perimeter, if we don’t run it’s going to be a very long season.

JMO

Reaction Score
I’m not sure that we have the shooters to be a team that relies on their half court sets. We need easy buckets before the other team sets up its defense. That allows us to take advantage of the raw athleticism on the team. Absent some pleasant surprises in our range and accuracy on the perimeter, if we don’t run it’s going to be a very long season.

JMO

I agree 100%. We didn't have the shooters last year either and were one of the slowest teams in the country. Our coach recruits to play fast, but has never (at any level) actually implemented that style. I'm hoping that the recruiting of guys like Sool, Hawkins, Karaban, Clingan, Fillipowski etc. is a signal that he's realizing (or someone has told him) he needs to shape up.

Reaction Score
If they don't run the team won't reach it's potential and it will most likely be a disappointing season.
I expect us to run more, just not enough to make people (including me) happy. I expect our pace to be somewhere in the high 100s instead of 300+ like it was most of this season, there were glimpses of Hurley adjusting late in the year

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I want to see a bunch of guys who ball.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I expect us to run more, just not enough to make people (including me) happy. I expect our pace to be somewhere in the high 100s instead of 300+ like it was most of this season, there were glimpses of Hurley adjusting late in the year
It’s a tough call because of mismatched pieces for hardcore running. Do we have rebounder making the right read directly off rebound first pass for push? Do we have the right guys on the first pass recipient off of rebound outlet able to throw it up the court, or push off dribble? If aj gets floor time and our bigs are rebounding and finding him, he can make stuff happen in open court through long Scheffer like passes or pushing the bounce and finding secondary break options . If the rebound outlet is going to RJ ( and he’s a solid guard, but he’s not a “ push” guard.) then we are only going to selectively run. Gaffney is much better streaking as a break recipient than pushing from the back of break. I guess we see where players made strides this year and who is on the floor.

Reaction Score
If they don't run the team won't reach it's potential and it will most likely be a disappointing season.
Can't run without the ball; can't get the ball without rebounding; can't rebound without boxing out...................which we do not do well. Coaching staff, take note!

Reaction Score
Defense travels so you'll see plenty of pressing to force the pace. We have to run.
Shooting is suspect. They're gonna see zone defense until they prove they can shoot the rock.
I think teams will back off AJ especially, and dare them to shoot.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Attachments

• 1623175300648.gif
    1623175300648.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Reaction Score
Hurley has gone on record saying he wants next year’s team to get out and run/score in transition more. I believe we will, although still probably not up to par with BY standards

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Defense and grind it out offense. Sanogo and Whaley will be tough for smaller teams, and we can be great if coach commits to 3 shooters around them.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Hurley has gone on record saying he wants next year’s team to get out and run/score in transition more. I believe we will, although still probably not up to par with BY standards
Has anything ever been up to par to Boneyard standards??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom