Our Guards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our Guards

Reaction Score
I don't think Jackson has confidence that he can make a layup, so he doesn't try.

It sounds ridiculous to say about a guy who's talked about as a potential (albeit unlikely) first round pick, but all evidence points in this direction.
Honestly, Jackson is the most overrated player we’ve had since I don’t know when. He is at best an inconsistent shooter that other teams don’t even defend past the 3 point line. He can’t drive and score. He is a good defender but relies on his quickness rather than sound techniques which keeps Him from being excellent. He is good for a highlight reel play per game but he needs to make the basic plays.

Reaction Score
I see Jackson with lots of potential going untapped. Offensively he moves well off the ball but seldom gets fed the ball off his cuts. Off the bounce he separates far better than any other player on the team. BH needs his coaches to school him to pull up and hit 12-15 footers. He elevates well and relaxes while in the air—- shooting should be fairly easy for him to get down . So many times he has gained separation and passes.
The two starting guards are soft defensively. Easily beaten off the dribble. Stop the ball don’t follow it!!!
On contested rebounds the team seems weak without the big freshman in the lineup. They need to leap for rebounds while boxing out. Good physical teams will not give them the room to take 3 steps towards the rim and take a full arm swing to jump up.
Sanogo must be more active on weak side help. Stop observing your opponent make a gimme!
Last observation. Way way too much non productive dribbling out front from the point guard. Head is not up looking for cutters. Dribble, Dribble drivel!

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Totally agree. He easily blew by his defender for a layup last night, I don't get why he doesn't do that more often. It seems he always has his defender on their heels but instead he either pulls out to the 3 point line or dishes to someone. I think he needs to play a little more selfishly and take the ball to the rack more often.
Amen!

Reaction Score
I don't think Jackson has confidence that he can make a layup, so he doesn't try.

It sounds ridiculous to say about a guy who's talked about as a potential (albeit unlikely) first round pick, but all evidence points in this direction.
He had a good one last night. Wish he'd do more of it.

Reaction Score
Can we accept the fact that our guards just aren’t final four quality good? They all have nice pieces, but they’re all incomplete. Diarra is Donnell Beverly on offense. Alleyne can’t do anything at speed. Hawkins is a great shooter but he’s not a great basketball player and can’t stop anyone going to the hole. Calcaterra is inconsistent (and it’s hard to be when you’re thrown in and asked to be on immediately). Even Jackson ( as good a defender and passer as he is) hurts them with his lack of a jump shot. They lack a play making, get to the hole floor leader (with a jump shot good enough that you can’t just leave him and double bigs) - it’s a big deal and it’s going to make it hard to go far against teams that are more complete and can execute.

Reaction Score
Newton isn't playing like he did at ECU. His usage is a lot lower here, and he spends a lot more time off the ball behind the 3 point arc. His assist rate is his lowest ever, he's shooting more 3's than he ever did, and has his worst defensive rating ever (probably a result of better competition). I know the Big East is a big step up, but I think we need to either try to let him play more of his game, or have him be the primary scorer on the 2nd unit or something. Last season, he shot 50% from 2, this year he's shooting 33%, and he's taking like 25% less free throws. I think it's hard for him since we have Sanogo posting up virtually every possession and there isn't a lot of space where he historically thrived for ECU.
Boum had a similar move from UTEP to X, had to join a team with more weapons and adjust how he plays quite a bit …and is even better this year. Scoring is about the same - but he’s shooting over 50 percent this year (a 10 percent increase) and doubling his assists from a year ago. He’s thriving in a balanced team.

Not to put it all on Newton - not every adjustment is the same. The two offensive systems are different, the two coaching staffs are different, and the personnel around him is different. But ideally you’d like to see a similar or better version of him than was at ECU - or at least a more efficient one - and not one who’s regressed.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Alleyne get some more minutes out of anyone else. He’s got size at 6’4”, is a good defender and a good rebounder as well. We’ve also seem him show the ability to finish at the rim. I think for him it’s mostly lack of confidence that could be remedied with some more court time.
Agree. He's playing more minor role than I envisioned. He has the energy and size.

Reaction Score
I'd almost feel more comfortable with the starters if Jackson played the point and Newton and Hawkins just played as wings. Newton is showing he isn't picking up the PG concepts and roles and it's hurting the team. Let's not forget Cole had a RS season to practice and learn and still had a rough first season with decision making and running the team.

Take the responsibility away from Newton and let Jackson role with it.

I don't know what the solution is for hiding Newton on D. He has been dreadful allowing his man to get momentum downhill and towards the rim.
Cole had a rough start to his season but then settled in quite well once the Georgetown away that year came around. After that he was 2nd most valuable player after James B. Remember people were saying we beat Creighton in the Big East Tourney if he didn't go out with a concussion. Newton isn't as talented as RJ Cole. His only advantage is height.

Reaction Score
Agree. He's playing more minor role than I envisioned. He has the energy and size.
But his defense was horrible in the Marquette game and his shot is just ugly right now. Personally I rather see Diarra shoot than Alleyne any day.

Reaction Score
And Ball coming off the bench as another attacking guard.
Ball might be starting. Who is going to stat at SG over him? Even if Hawkins comes back I don't see him staying at SG as he needs to finds a handle on par with Rip Hamilton.People forget in his Freshmen year Hamilton actually played PG for us a lot as Ricky Moore was suspended. Maybe we can move Hawkins to SF or shooter off the bench next year if he comes back. This year he has to start since we have to talent in the back court.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ball might be starting. Who is going to stat at SG over him? Even if Hawkins comes back I don't see him staying at SG as he needs to finds a handle on par with Rip Hamilton.People forget in his Freshmen year Hamilton actually played PG for us a lot as Ricky Moore was suspended. Maybe we can move Hawkins to SF or shooter off the bench next year if he comes back. This year he has to start since we have to talent in the back court.
I love Ball as much as anyone but there’s no way Hawkins and Jackson don’t start next year if Hawkins is back. Ball can be a great boost off the bench though ala Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright, etc as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I love Ball as much as anyone but there’s no way Hawkins and Jackson don’t start next year if Hawkins is back. Ball can be a great boost off the bench though ala Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright, etc as a freshman.
Jackson is our SF. I think Hawkins is gone no matter what and at if he does come back I see Hawks starting but if he doesn't add any kind of penetration to his game I can see Ball stealing a lot of his minutes.

Reaction Score
Boum had a similar move from UTEP to X, had to join a team with more weapons and adjust how he plays quite a bit …and is even better this year. Scoring is about the same - but he’s shooting over 50 percent this year (a 10 percent increase) and doubling his assists from a year ago. He’s thriving in a balanced team.

Not to put it all on Newton - not every adjustment is the same. The two offensive systems are different, the two coaching staffs are different, and the personnel around him is different. But ideally you’d like to see a similar or better version of him than was at ECU - or at least a more efficient one - and not one who’s regressed.
I don't really think the moves are all that similar. It was a step up in competition for sure, but Boum's role at Xavier isn't drastically different than it was at UTEP. He's still being asked to do mostly the same things, but to his credit, he is shooting at a higher percentage than any other year in his career. He's also 24 (2 years older than Newton) and is one of the oldest players in all of D1 college basketball.

Newton on the other hand, went from a school where he was the primary scorer to somewhere that asked him to become a point guard. We also run an offense that is not really geared towards getting him looks, or utilizing his strengths. I'm not trying to say Newton doesn't have to be better, because he's definitely underperforming, but I don't think we've made this the easiest transition for him.

Reaction Score
This place gets crazier every day. There's very little chance Hawkins comes back anyway, but the idea of Hawkins coming back to come off the bench is objectively hilarious. I can't believe that was typed with a straight face

Reaction Score
Jackson is our SF. I think Hawkins is gone no matter what and at if he does come back I see Hawks starting but if he doesn't add any kind of penetration to his game I can see Ball stealing a lot of his minutes.
Hawkins is gone? Maybe to the transfer portal but not to the NBA. LOL!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This year it's - What guards?

Reaction Score
Hawkins is gone? Maybe to the transfer portal but not to the NBA. LOL!
These guys always leave before they should. Maybe he still thinks he can make the first round if he plays well down the stretch and there is always Europe. Lol!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom