Our Frosh | The Boneyard

Our Frosh

Reaction Score
I am so glad that they can finally get some minutes. I see improvement, but it is not an easy adjustment. Hopefully it continues as they learn to play at the speed and toughness of DIV 1 bb and gain confidence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought both Freshman played their best games in terms of having confidence to attack. While Molly missed 2 jumpers, she looked confident and some of her passes were really very good. Kyla showed some really nice footwork and some good offensive moves. :D

Keep it up.

Reaction Score
Kyla had solid minutes and made confident moves around the basket. IMO Molly passed up some open shots, but agree she looked good. Nice to see them getting extended minutes to get into game flow.

Reaction Score
any word on the foot of our other frosh? Status of return??

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
any word on the foot of our other frosh? Status of return??
They said the boot comes off today and then she goes through a whole series of protocols building to full weight bearing activities, and that they can get derailed if she at any point starts feeling discomfort during the process. The earliest she would complete the protocols is for the Temple game.

Reaction Score
I thought both Freshman played their best games in terms of having confidence to attack. While Molly missed 2 jumpers, she looked confident and some of her passes were really very good. Kyla showed some really nice footwork and some good offensive moves. :D

Keep it up.

The three Bench players --did extremely well considering the intensity of the ECU Defense (to put it mildly)
I like the two Jumpers Molly put up--each bounced off the inner rim--shows she is accurate--shows she has the confidence to take them--shows she is not afraid of Geno pulling her--If she ever hits them consistently--will that open up the world for Uconn.
Kyla--I was impressed by her play--absolutely her best game--good catch on the run scoring, she wasn't stuffed, I was so busy watching Molly's really good defense (not great yet) I didn't see how Kyla did on D.
Butler--scored well --only put the ball , near the basket, on the floor once. Pretty good D--got a couple of bad calls--i think she is called because of her size.

All in all a good level of improvement to build on---Molly keep shooting--UC--needs that extra scorer.

Reaction Score

Keep it up.
Hard to evaluate when playing against the 2nd or 3rd string of a poor team. Practice likely a better source of input.

Reaction Score
Hard to evaluate when playing against the 2nd or 3rd string of a poor team. Practice likely a better source of input.

It looked like all the ECU players were fouling equally hard. The things Kyla did well last night will translate well against most opponents.

Reaction Score
The three Bench players --did extremely well considering the intensity of the ECU Defense (to put it mildly)
I like the two Jumpers Molly put up--each bounced off the inner rim--shows she is accurate--shows she has the confidence to take them--shows she is not afraid of Geno pulling her--If she ever hits them consistently--will that open up the world for Uconn.
Kyla--I was impressed by her play--absolutely her best game--good catch on the run scoring, she wasn't stuffed, I was so busy watching Molly's really good defense (not great yet) I didn't see how Kyla did on D.
Butler--scored well --only put the ball , near the basket, on the floor once. Pretty good D--got a couple of bad calls--i think she is called because of her size.

All in all a good level of improvement to build on---Molly keep shooting--UC--needs that extra scorer.
I think you need to raise the bar as to what is, " a good game," for Kyla and Molly. Molly did make a couple of excellent passes, and she does run around a lot. But I did not see any confidence, whatsoever, in her shots. I think she is saying to herself, " coach wants me to score," when she launches a shot. By contrast, for example, when Crystal put up those threes against Baylor, she showed total confidence and, proved it, by hitting several, including back-to back shots. The feeling I get with Molly is, if ( when ) she makes a shot ( and we are talking 10 foot jump shots ), she won't make two in a row. Maybe someday....hopefully...but she isn't close yet, in my view. It is hard to imagine her fear ( lack of confidence ), because she was a " go-to" star in High school. And, let's be honest, East Carolina is no power.

As for Kyla, she is improving around the basket, but has a long way to go. And that last second shot ( open ) from the corner was lame. If she wanted to make a statement, she needed to drain that one. Nonetheless, there may be an athlete there whereas, there just isn't much of one with Natalie. Though I applaud her effort and grit. I do not share your enthusiasm that these two freshman will help this team, meaningfully, in March. I think we have the starting five, a bit of Natalie to " hold the fort" while others get a breather, and hopefully Crystal.

As for Crystal, her injury is beginning to sound a lot like a serious problem. This is unfortunate, because she will be crucial when March begins. She has already missed a significant amount of playing/practice time, and more time out of action is forecast.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My $.02 FWIW...

I'm thrilled Molly and Kyla are getting more PT. I know that in Crystal's absence, it's almost essential that Molly be able to step up, but even tho she doesn't get starter's minutes PT, it seems that she may have hit the freshman wall. I recall reading recently that she's lacking in confidence. I don't think she's so much worried that Geno will pull her, as she doesn't want to make a mistake and isn't confident in her play yet. Of course I really have no idea since I'm not psychic, but it's my impression based on quotes and observations.

Kyla does not seem to lack confidence, which is a great thing for her as she's the last off the bench before the Lawlor, the former walk-on. I hope these 2 contribute and improve as much as possible this year and over the summer because PT will be VERY hard to come by for them next year with the addition of 6 new players, even tho we are losing Saniya, a guard.

It seems that in big games, Geno has settled on a rotation of 6 for now. Hopefully 7 when Crystal comes back. In yesterday's game, Nat played 19 minutes, Molly 15 and Kyla 10. Those are excellent minutes for the reserves, especially given the uber aggressive defense that ECU played with.

I know we all want them to succeed, and while they may get some minutes in the first 2 rounds of the NCAA's, after that, I think it's doubtful they will see the court unless it's a blowout and it's the end of the game. Crystal hasn't been the same since her first injury - even after she came back from that (her concussion), so I have a feeling her contributions will be limited (however, she will be a solid ball handler to spell Kia and Saniya as the season progresses). Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst...

Reaction Score
I think you need to raise the bar as to what is, " a good game," for Kyla and Molly. Molly did make a couple of excellent passes, and she does run around a lot. But I did not see any confidence, whatsoever, in her shots. I think she is saying to herself, " coach wants me to score," when she launches a shot. By contrast, for example, when Crystal put up those threes against Baylor, she showed total confidence and, proved it, by hitting several, including back-to back shots. The feeling I get with Molly is, if ( when ) she makes a shot ( and we are talking 10 foot jump shots ), she won't make two in a row. Maybe someday....hopefully...but she isn't close yet, in my view. It is hard to imagine her fear ( lack of confidence ), because she was a " go-to" star in High school. And, let's be honest, East Carolina is no power.

As for Kyla, she is improving around the basket, but has a long way to go. And that last second shot ( open ) from the corner was lame. If she wanted to make a statement, she needed to drain that one. Nonetheless, there may be an athlete there whereas, there just isn't much of one with Natalie. Though I applaud her effort and grit. I do not share your enthusiasm that these two freshman will help this team, meaningfully, in March. I think we have the starting five, a bit of Natalie to " hold the fort" while others get a breather, and hopefully Crystal.

As for Crystal, her injury is beginning to sound a lot like a serious problem. This is unfortunate, because she will be crucial when March begins. She has already missed a significant amount of playing/practice time, and more time out of action is forecast.

You don't have much to disagree with---yet---i SHALL.!!
First---Don't compare Molly or Kyla with Crystal---that's comparing Stones underground, under extreme pressure with diamonds.
They just didn't have tthe opportunities to play top level USA basketball and Crystal did for a couple of years.
I prefer to take the --pat them for what they do good approach--there are more than necessary willing to kick them in the seats.
The have improved. Molly by taking those shots , shots she made in HS on a regular basis, and shot Geno said damn you Molly take those shots!!! Out of fear of Geno--I doubt it--out of wanting to please him --you bet!!
Kyla--just by NOT being stuffed under the basket was an improvement, but she went further--and made a few basket even one on the run. Rebounded.
Back to Molly--she kept her opponent in front of her the whole time on defense--she did help defense well- she even got a rebound
You don't see this as an improvement--that is your choice---
But dont expect Molly or Kyla ---this year--from coming close to Crystals development--they are meters apart..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really like the freshmen. Few freshmen are getting the education UConn's freshmen are getting in practice. Think about it. Day in day out you are Kyla Irwin going up against Gabby, Nat, AZ, and Pheesa. You are Molly and are going up against KLS, Kia, Saniya or Crystal? Wow. One reason our super sophomores and Gabby are so far ahead is because the practices against the big three they experienced last year. There is a perpetual talent baton that is being passed between the graduating classes and the remaining players.

I really like Kyla's game. She will be a valued contributor by her junior year, no doubt about it. She must be having a tough time in practice since she is second to last off the bench, but aside from some freshman lapses and some bad fortune, she is playing very well in games, IMO. Normally, you are in a game, what you are in practice. But there are exceptions. Geno himself alluded to KLS having a bad shoot around then going off in a game. He has also indicated that the team as a whole plays better in games than they do in practices. I believe Kyla is one of these exceptions. She has upside.

Molly is also on the right track. I notice her game is better with her peers than when she is with starters. This indicates she still plays in a reserved role with the starters and tight. She will be fine and also has a big upside and will contribute greatly.

Chrystal is "wow" in waiting. Not much to say. She will dominate and has AA written all over her future.

Reaction Score
In reality, we have 5 suited players for the UConn women's team. Should Crystal be cleared to play, and regains her conditioning, she has the opportunity to be the 6th person or that may be Nat. The only reason that this will occur is 2 fouls on one or more of the key players. And, then production will go down. The embedded team work of the starting five cannot be sustained by interjecting one of the bench players unless one of them is touched by the hand of God as was Crystal during the Baylor game.

However, all of the five starters have significantly improved as have other teams. Right now, I do not see Kyla coming in for Collier in the 2nd quarter during a game with Baylor. It is less of a risk to keep Collier in play but then you have the "hesitant" factor clicking in because she does not want to foul out. Too bad, Batouly Comara could not be a substitute because this team would not miss a beat.

I am glad that Geno is the coach. As he said to KLS during the the Florida State Game when she said that she has 4 fouls: "It's your problem", or something like that.

Reaction Score
I really like the freshmen. Few freshmen are getting the education UConn's freshmen are getting in practice. Think about it. Day in day out you are Kyla Irwin going up against Gabby, Nat, AZ, and Pheesa. You are Molly and are going up against KLS, Kia, Saniya or Crystal? Wow. One reason our super sophomores and Gabby are so far ahead is because the practices against the big three they experienced last year. There is a perpetual talent baton that is being passed between the graduating classes and the remaining players.

I really like Kyla's game. She will be a valued contributor by her junior year, no doubt about it. She must be having a tough time in practice since she is second to last off the bench, but aside from some freshman lapses and some bad fortune, she is playing very well in games, IMO. Normally, you are in a game, what you are in practice. But there are exceptions. Geno himself alluded to KLS having a bad shoot around then going off in a game. He has also indicated that the team as a whole plays better in games than they do in practices. I believe Kyla is one of these exceptions. She has upside.

Molly is also on the right track. I notice her game is better with her peers than when she is with starters. This indicates she still plays in a reserved role with the starters and tight. She will be fine and also has a big upside and will contribute greatly.

Chrystal is "wow" in waiting. Not much to say. She will dominate and has AA written all over her future.

I like what you say---thanks, these kids need some positives. You are correct about the practices and the baton being passed-
Molly is more comfy with her "peers'--it's how she was raised and educated--a bit of reverence to adults and those even 1 year older--that too shall change--but probably not this year. She's just your plain ordinary NICE kid--and when the skin is peeled back--you find a very good Basketball player and decent shooter.

Reaction Score
In reality, we have 5 suited players for the UConn women's team. Should Crystal be cleared to play, and regains her conditioning, she has the opportunity to be the 6th person or that may be Nat. The only reason that this will occur is 2 fouls on one or more of the key players. And, then production will go down. The embedded team work of the starting five cannot be sustained by interjecting one of the bench players unless one of them is touched by the hand of God as was Crystal during the Baylor game.

However, all of the five starters have significantly improved as have other teams. Right now, I do not see Kyla coming in for Collier in the 2nd quarter during a game with Baylor. It is less of a risk to keep Collier in play but then you have the "hesitant" factor clicking in because she does not want to foul out. Too bad, Batouly Comara could not be a substitute because this team would not miss a beat.

I am glad that Geno is the coach. As he said to KLS during the the Florida State Game when she said that she has 4 fouls: "It's your problem", or something like that.
It's your problem--I didn't do it! BUtler --isn't Napheesa (who is??), She's not even Stewie (who is??) her job--knowing the quantity she is--is to give relief for Gabby and or Napheesa for 2 to 5 minutes ( depending the fouls and the opponent) and she is doing a much better of limiting her "errors", she is hitting baskets, she is doing a bit of rebounding--again you can't compare her to the big 2 (both smaller than she) to Natalie. She has talent, but limited mobility, limited lateral mobility, limited speed--all were known before she transferred in.
Molly and Butler with more a more minutes with Gabby, Kia, KLS, Napheesa will get to know them better and be comfortable passing and accepting passes --and shooting. Shrug off the fouls --they will happen--you can't take them home with you--if not used they are of no value to you.
With in a couple of weeks UC WBB will have it's final test--before the NCAA;s It can make them stronger or ????

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I like what you say---thanks, these kids need some positives. You are correct about the practices and the baton being passed-
Molly is more comfy with her "peers'--it's how she was raised and educated--a bit of reverence to adults and those even 1 year older--that too shall change--but probably not this year. She's just your plain ordinary NICE kid--and when the skin is peeled back--you find a very good Basketball player and decent shooter.

There is nothing ordinary about a "nice kid".

Reaction Score
Does Crystal have a stress fracture, sprained ligament, something else? Or, none of our business?

Reaction Score
Does Crystal have a stress fracture, sprained ligament, something else? Or, none of our business?
I keep hearing "stress reaction." Google result for "Athletic injury-stress reaction":

Dr. Pribut On Stress Fractures

"Stress fractures and stress reactions, both repetitive stress injuries of bone (RSI of Bone) is a reaction of bone to repetitive forces. These forces may be either compressive, tensile or complex in nature. The initial injury seems to be to the bone matrix itself and is hard to clinically measure or detect.This injury is caused by repetitive stress and overload to the bone. Bone resporption may be taking place without significant bone production. The forces contributing to the injury include both direct impact and also forces generated by the “pull” of ligaments and tendons on the bone."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
To further clarify: "Stress reaction is inflammation in and around the bone that will lead to a stress fracture if you keep running (or jumping, hopping...anything impacting it)...it's a precursor to an actual fracture".

Reaction Score
My $.02 FWIW...

I'm thrilled Molly and Kyla are getting more PT. I know that in Crystal's absence, it's almost essential that Molly be able to step up, but even tho she doesn't get starter's minutes PT, it seems that she may have hit the freshman wall. I recall reading recently that she's lacking in confidence. I don't think she's so much worried that Geno will pull her, as she doesn't want to make a mistake and isn't confident in her play yet. Of course I really have no idea since I'm not psychic, but it's my impression based on quotes and observations.

Kyla does not seem to lack confidence, which is a great thing for her as she's the last off the bench before the Lawlor, the former walk-on. I hope these 2 contribute and improve as much as possible this year and over the summer because PT will be VERY hard to come by for them next year with the addition of 6 new players, even tho we are losing Saniya, a guard.

It seems that in big games, Geno has settled on a rotation of 6 for now. Hopefully 7 when Crystal comes back. In yesterday's game, Nat played 19 minutes, Molly 15 and Kyla 10. Those are excellent minutes for the reserves, especially given the uber aggressive defense that ECU played with.

I know we all want them to succeed, and while they may get some minutes in the first 2 rounds of the NCAA's, after that, I think it's doubtful they will see the court unless it's a blowout and it's the end of the game. Crystal hasn't been the same since her first injury - even after she came back from that (her concussion), so I have a feeling her contributions will be limited (however, she will be a solid ball handler to spell Kia and Saniya as the season progresses). Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst...

I would/will be terrible if Dangerfield does not come all the way back from the Concussion!! The fracture is enough. If she does not make it in with the "big" guys in the next few games and performs well in those games-it will not be nice for Uconn or Crystal. The season is getting really short and the level of games, after a couple of (but not all)AAC games into the NCAA's. Crystal's top level play will be required.

Mollys development is taking a bit longer than I expected--but she is improving as is Butler.
If each can give Geno a good minute here and there --it could help a lot towards relief .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom