Our four non-conference games should be P5 teams every year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our four non-conference games should be P5 teams every year

Do you think we should play 4 P5 teams every year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Let's play the equivalent of Maine 4x and see what we draw.

We aren't drawing against anybody. Sure, playing Ohio St would be fun in theory...until there are 30K Buckeye fans in our stadium cheering on a 59-0 whooping of our Huskies.

Baby steps. That's all I'm saying. We aren't going to have 30K in the stands for any remaining home game on our schedule. We need to build ourselves up -on the field and in the stands- before we offer ourselves up as sacrificial lambs.

Reaction Score
We aren't drawing against anybody. Sure, playing Ohio St would be fun in theory...until there are 30K Buckeye fans in our stadium cheering on a 59-0 whooping of our Huskies.

Baby steps. That's all I'm saying. We aren't going to have 30K in the stands for any remaining home game on our schedule. We need to build ourselves up -on the field and in the stands- before we offer ourselves up as sacrificial lambs.

I guess - but we cry about not being in a P5 conference - nobody wants to come because we don't play good teams. So we want to not play good teams and expect people to come?

TBH - I'd be much happier with a 45K packed house getting walloped by Michigan than I would with 24K gate playing UMass (and hopefully winning).

Reaction Score
isnt the current problem that we are playing bad teams and losing? Both Syracuse and Navy are at best ordinary. Virginia is pretty bad. And this isn't new any more.
Just being on the same field with D1 teams isn't going to attract the curious.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I guess - but we cry about not being in a P5 conference - nobody wants to come because we don't play good teams. So we want to not play good teams and expect people to come?

TBH - I'd be much happier with a 45K packed house getting walloped by Michigan than I would with 24K gate playing UMass (and hopefully winning).

I hear you. I want sellouts too...but it's not happening any time soon. We quite literally can't give away tickets this year for any game we've played this season, including two P5 programs (1 with a local "name" that UConn fans can all identify as hating).

Right now, I've given up on hoping for attendance. It's not happening so no need to stress about it. Instead, I'm worried about getting to bowl games and getting those extra practices. We need to build our program back up first and then, hopefully, the practice time will show through the field on gamedays and our fans will want to come out to see it. When we get to that point, then schedule all of the Michigans you want.

Reaction Score
I hear you. I want sellouts too...but it's not happening any time soon. We quite literally can't give away tickets this year for any game we've played this season, including two P5 programs (1 with a local "name" that UConn fans can all identify as hating).

Right now, I've given up on hoping for attendance. It's not happening so no need to stress about it. Instead, I'm worried about getting to bowl games and getting those extra practices. We need to build our program back up first and then, hopefully, the practice time will show through the field on gamedays and our fans will want to come out to see it. When we get to that point, then schedule all of the Michigans you want.

In theory, extra practice should work.......in theory. Hasn't helped UConn......in fact, we may be worse than last year.

Reaction Score
In theory, extra practice should work. Hasn't helped UConn. In fact, we may be worse than last year.
It has less to do with practice time and more with coaching philosophy. Not press covering our opponent receivers is a mistake. Not throwing over the middle to our tight ends is an egregious mistake. Not being more creative/aggressive on early downs makes us demonstrably predictable and highly ineffective. Punting as often in enemy territory is an admission of ineptitude and is demoralizing. Other than that we're doing just fine.

Dooley

Reaction Score
In theory, extra practice should work..in theory. Hasn't helped UConn.in fact, we may be worse than last year.

Can't argue with that - early returns on last year's extra practices have been quite a downer...

It has less to do with practice time and more with coaching philosophy. Not press covering our opponent receivers is a mistake. Not throwing over the middle to our tight ends is an egregious mistake. Not being more creative/aggressive on early downs makes us demonstrably predictable and highly ineffective. Punting as often in enemy territory is an admission of ineptitude and is demoralizing. Other than that we're doing just fine.

...but I agree with this too. When our playbook is "opened up", we actually have been moving the ball fairly well. Part (maybe most) of the blame is on our coaching style and far-too-overly-conservative approach.

Reaction Score
Right now, if we play 2 mid/low level P5's and 2 mid/upper level P5's we should be able to at least break even... If we can't then we have the wrong coach... Babying a football team to wins doesn't seem like a good idea for a team that had a teast of a BCS bowl game 5 years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom