Our four non-conference games should be P5 teams every year

Do you think we should play 4 P5 teams every year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Ok, we would only get six home games every year, but it is a better schedule, and means we basically play half a power conference schedule (increased perception).

Teams that would likely play us H/H: Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Virginia, Duke, Syracuse, BC, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee (already have series with us), Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., WVU.

Random non-conference schedule:
Rutgers (A)
Syracuse (H)
BC (H)
WVU (A)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Only work if you are sure you will finish above .500 in conference. Being bowl eligible is the first goal for every FB program. Playing 4 P5 teams means you can go 1-3 and need to go at least 5-3 in conference.

The other issue is you want 7 home games as often as possible for the money. P5 programs demand home games as well and go on the road sporadically.

C

Chief00

I like it - there is just so much nonsense about making a third tier bowl game.

I would rather play a great schedule and let the chips fall where they may.

Why get a 6-7 record coach a bonus and contract extension because he made some meaningless bowl game. It makes it more difficult to fire him the next year if the record is even worse. Sound familar?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
yeah lets ensure we have at least 3 guaranteed losses to start the year
i'm all 4 it

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I say we go the BC route and fill up our non con with FCS followed by three embarrassingly bad programs so that we can pad our win total. Only problem is that we may be one of those embarrassingly bad programs this year :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Play the best, get the exposure and sell more tickets, forget the meaningless minor bowls.

It wouldn't bother me if we played a bunch of teams the caliber of Houston, W or L.......be it P-5 or G-5. If we lost all of them, it would set a goal of something we should aspire to be, and perhaps get players that had offers other than from FCS teams.

If we choose a schedule where we pad a season hoping to beat the weakest of the weak, get all wins, and get to a meaningless bowl, we get prideful and actually think we are much better than we prove to be when we play teams that exhibit a real FBS program.

Reaction Score
I would prefer to play all 1a teams as opposed to 1aa but beyond that I get it. But does anyone really want to argue tha Syracuse Viginia and BC are better than Houston? Or last year's Temple team or any number of other G5 programs in all honesty? There are some really good teams but if you put any of the mid to lower tier P5 teams in G5 leagues they'd end up with pretty much the same results.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Play the best, get the exposure and sell more tickets, forget the meaningless minor bowls.

Even the lowest level bowls provide the program with exposure in markets that are likely unfamiliar, extra practice time, and serve as a reward to the team for a season of hard work. There are a lot of recreational activities for the teams that go on behind the scenes during the week leading up to the bowl game. Even though both schools likely lose money on a low payout bowl, they all still want to go.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I mean hell, I'd rather get beat (and have a shot at beating) a P5 opponet if we're not getting out of the AAC, than to play cupcakes that we lose (or come close to losing to) like Maine, Towson, etc... Really, who is excited to open our season next year against Holy Cross??!!

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Even the lowest level bowls provide the program with exposure in markets that are likely unfamiliar, extra practice time, and serve as a reward to the team for a season of hard work. There are a lot of recreational activities for the teams that go on behind the scenes during the week leading up to the bowl game. Even though both schools likely lose money on a low payout bowl, they all still want to go.
We are already losing money. Why do we want to lose more?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
We are already losing money. Why do we want to lose more?

We didn't come remotely close to selling out home games vs name teams like Virginia and Syracuse this season. Yes, neither one of them were good teams, but the non-conference games are scheduled years in advance, with no guarantees that the teams you schedule will be good when you play them.

We need to start winning games again if you want to fill seats in the stadium. Whatever money we might lose on a low level bowl is more than offset by the exposure, extra practice time and reward it provides for the players. Otherwise schools would turn down the bids, and that almost never happens. The only time it ever does is when big name schools have lousy seasons and decline to go to a low payout bowl they consider beneath their dignity.

If we beat Cincinnati and South Florida, we will start to see larger home crowds toward the end of this season.

Reaction Score
Whatever money we might lose on a low level bowl is more than offset by the exposure, extra practice time and reward it provides for the players.

^^^ This^^^

Since all but maybe 7 bowls mean anything in the scheme of things - they are all low level/minor bowls in theory

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I really like the idea of developing regional rivalries with BC, Cuse, and UMass. Boosting NE football. Plus I hate those losers.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I really like the idea of developing regional rivalries with BC, Cuse, and UMass. Boosting NE football. Plus I hate those losers.
Yes, I hate UMass so much (ok I really don't) that I hope they drop back down so that the talent in the area is only shared between two schools instead of three.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I'd take 3 P5 opponents and 1 crap opponent to warm up. We need a crap opponent to warm up.

(They probably think the same thing about us.)

No kidding. Imagine if we had played the same as we did against Maine vs even a bad P5 opponent in our first game of the season. We'd be 1-4 right now instead of 2-3.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We just played two P5 teams last month and struggled mightily to draw 30K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom