Our Defense Of The 3 | The Boneyard

Our Defense Of The 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the last 2 games we have blown big leads while allowing teams to shoot and make 3's. Hamilton is often burned late closing after helping double inside players. Is this because our bigs can't cover their bigs? Omar and Gibbs also left their men open. Tonight we quit driving to the hoop and they had 25 FT attempts to our 11. We could not get it to Miller, he was doubled. Adams seemed reluctant to drive and create. I also give Tulsa credit for having good players, playing well, they are not mid major players.

Reaction Score
I mean we do have guys who lose their assignments for sure, I agree. But isn't it just our teams luck to have these 2 teams catch fire late like this? I mean really let's see how many other games Temple will hit 4 in a row late in the game. And Birt III was en fuego quietly bringing them back around the 7 minute mark but you could see it happening again. Some of it's crappy defense, some is just plain unlucky too.

Reaction Score
I mean we do have guys who lose their assignments for sure, I agree. But isn't it just our teams luck to have these 2 teams catch fire late like this? I mean really let's see how many other games Temple will hit 4 in a row late in the game. And Birt III was en fuego quietly bringing them back around the 7 minute mark but you could see it happening again. Some of it's crappy defense, some is just plain unlucky too.
Tulsa and Temple made some really tough 3's against us. We also stopped going inside where Miller was tearing them up. Add in some sloppy D and poor shot decisions.

Reaction Score
I think the blame is fair, but both Temple and Tulsa were knocking down contests shots, and there were instances in both games where they bricked a shot, and a long rebound went out to the shooter alone beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
I do remember seeing in some metric which takes in the "luck factor" we were ranked in like 250-300. No idea exactly what determines the value

Reaction Score
Tulsa and Temple made some really tough 3's against us. We also stopped going inside where Miller was tearing them up. Add in some sloppy D and poor shot decisions.

Miller is showing some frustration and who could blame him? His efficiency scoring is well noted by many here and less on the staff it would seem?

Reaction Score
I noticed that Miller had either 2 guys on him or zone defense collapsing to prevent him from getting the ball. What to follow?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Tulsa shot 63% from 3 last night. That kind of thing isn't going to happen very often moving forward. I wouldn't read too much into the 3-point defense the last two games.

EDIT: Scratch that, 63% in the 2nd half alone, 40% for the game. Either way, that's more about a guy getting hot than poor defense.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I noticed that Miller had either 2 guys on him or zone defense collapsing to prevent him from getting the ball. What to follow?
Well that and we truly are the suck at feeding the post. I love Miller but I have watched this board with bemusement the last couple weeks when people say he is our go to guy down the stretch of tight games. It would be great if he could be and its not his fault he's not. It's because we have no sure fire way of feeding the post.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Miller's guards:

Gibbs....couldn't feed a baby
Purv...is Purv
Adams...doesn't play. And when he does, fires passes no one expects.
Omar...shooter.

DHam...lobs to the rim or...feeds the corner.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong at all with our defense. Its a Top 10 defense statistically. Let's stop all this speculation, our defense is top-notch.

Reaction Score
Miller had 5 shots last night. 5. That is unacceptable.

Agree and for many reasons. He's shooting almost 80% from the FT line to top off 60% from the field. I realize teams are going to try to find him, double him etc etc but can we please run some sets which will discourage them from doubling him and then throw it in? I mean he needs to get 10 shots off a game minimum.

Reaction Score
Miller had 5 shots last night. 5. That is unacceptable.

Yeah, seems crazy he is not getting more touches. He has been outstandingly reliable to score in the paint. He has great hang time so he doesn't get his shots blocked very often and great hands to bank off glass to score. Seems he gets his 5 shots and defenses collapse to prevent anymore from him yet we don't seem more open on the perimeter. I'm missing what is happening and why we can't feed him at the end of the games.

Reaction Score
Agree and for many reasons. He's shooting almost 80% from the FT line to top off 60% from the field. I realize teams are going to try to find him, double him etc etc but can we please run some sets which will discourage them from doubling him and then throw it in? I mean he needs to get 10 shots off a game minimum.
Agreed. And to be frank, I just don't understand our zone offense. With guys like Miller/DHam to put in the middle of the zone, we should have a field day. Instead, we settle for a lot of 3's (took 24 yesterday). Yea, it's fine and dandy when they're falling (we went up 20 and started 8-11 from 3) but when they start missing (we shot 3-13 after that hot start from 3), you need to attack the middle of the zone to slow these big runs.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Exactly. They started closing up the middle fast on Miller. This has been going on for the last few games. Teams really concentrate on him. Actually, that is a nice compliment to Miller.

Reaction Score
In the last 2 games we have blown big leads while allowing teams to shoot and make 3's. Hamilton is often burned late closing after helping double inside players. Is this because our bigs can't cover their bigs? Omar and Gibbs also left their men open. Tonight we quit driving to the hoop and they had 25 FT attempts to our 11. We could not get it to Miller, he was doubled. Adams seemed reluctant to drive and create. I also give Tulsa credit for having good players, playing well, they are not mid major players.

Hamilton hedges quite a bit in order to get double digit rebounds and start the break. Unfortunately its cost numerous open 3's in being unable to close out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Exactly. They started closing up the middle fast on Miller. This has been going on for the last few games. Teams really concentrate on him. Actually, that is a nice compliment to Miller.
I'm with the two of you. Last two games coaches decided anyone but Miller was going to beat them.

I was surprised how rarely DHam flashed to the foul line. Would have opened things up for Miller.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In the first half of the Temple game UConn was getting hammered in rebounding. KO emphasized this at halftime and for most of the second half the rebounding problem was corrected.

On the other hand neither DHam or SM are quick to run out to their player if they hedge too much for the rebound. At times it appears they end up watching plays unfold instead of making sure they aren't losing their player. In spite of the excellent defensive numbers for the season the last two games show that opposing coaches have watched tapes and are beginning to exploit this weakness.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
There was this three that Coleman made deep in the corner. I mean heels close to the line corner. Dham played good D on him. He was all over Coleman. Coleman buried it. How do you defend that. Ham was trotting back to the other end shaking his head. I was in my recliner shaking my head.

Reaction Score
The crappy 3D is a direct attribute of UC's raising lead erosion to an art form. Those 3s were from shooters who became 'hot' because no one was hounding them.

Reaction Score
Yeah, seems crazy he is not getting more touches. He has been outstandingly reliable to score in the paint. He has great hang time so he doesn't get his shots blocked very often and great hands to bank off glass to score. Seems he gets his 5 shots and defenses collapse to prevent anymore from him yet we don't seem more open on the perimeter. I'm missing what is happening and why we can't feed him at the end of the games.
Don't forget that up and under move he has started showing recently. A thing of beauty. He can score whenever wants down low with his moves. Problem is sometimes he gives up fighting for position and defers to others. He has to realize he has to be the star of the team offensively for Uconn to succeed,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom