Our CB play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our CB play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
huskysupporter said:
I think William's issue is ball awareness. He sometimes commits absolutely unnecessary penalties. But I think he does a pretty good job sticking with receivers. There is only song long you can cover a receiver before he gets open. That is why we need to get a pass rush.

These last couple of games are the times the coaches should try different players in a pass rush role. Stand up Obi outside the end and have him speed rush. Try Junior Joseph as a pass rusher. Stand Cole Ormsby up. Anything.

Sometimes commits unnecessary penalties? He is flat out awful. I would venture to say that 6 times out of ten he commits a penalty. 2 times he is successful and let's us all know by his signature gesture. The other two times the offensive player makes the play.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Reminds me of when Gratz and Wreh-Wilson were put out there due to attrition and injury. Both of them got burnt a bunch, but they learned and grew.

Our corners are learning how to be physical at the college level and will get better. Our safeties are learning how to cover in space.

I'm not worried about CB's and S's.
I mostly see pretty good cover skills which is athleticism but very little ball skills which is technique / coaching -- they can get better.

Reaction Score
I mostly see pretty good cover skills which is athleticism but very little ball skills which is technique / coaching -- they can get better.

This. All of our DBs play the same way -- they try to run stride for stride witout loooking for the ball, and then just faceguard when the WR turns to find it. If they are all playing it the same stupid way, it's clear they are being coached to play tht way.

That having been said, unless we're going to start recruiting the Clowney's of the world we need to go back to recruiting the 6 foot 3, 220 pound guys like Trevardo and Marcus Williams and Cody Brown and turn them into speedrusing DEs, instead of recruiting the 250 pound kids who end up 270 as undersized DTs.

Reaction Score
I think that the problem with the DBs was scheme. They put both corners in press coverage all night.

It seemed like another one of Diaco's practice games. Let's put them in press coverage t see how thye do and get some film on it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our DB play has been an issue all season. There have been countless times that we've had PI calls against us and they were obvious calls (our DBs aren't turned around and holding on to WRs shoulder pads or arms). Zero attempt to turn around and find the ball. Even though it's not a penalty to face guard in college, I still think it's better technique to at least know where/when the ball is coming to make a play on it as opposed to playing the receiver who, by now, has learned to play dummy and/or draw flags from the officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom