Our CB play | The Boneyard

Our CB play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... just wondering what anybody else's thoughts on our play at that position, even before Byron Jones got hurt.... we need help there.. like JUCO help if we want to be competitive next season....

Reaction Score
Summers should be a good one with an off season of weight training etc. He has good height and shows some good instincts for a true freshman. I'd like to see us get away from short CB's.

Reaction Score
Summers should be a good one with an off season of weight training etc. He has good height and shows some good instincts for a true freshman. I'd like to see us get away from short CB's.
good point on the shorter CBs

Reaction Score
Javon needs to be permanently glued to the bench. He is beyond awful and with any luck of a play he makes always does that "safe" signal. I cannot stand watching the guy get burnt time and time again. Or causing penalties. Outrageously horrible.

Reaction Score
I have high hopes for McAllister. Hopefully he replaces Williams on the 2deep next season.

Reaction Score
Javon needs to be permanently glued to the bench. He is beyond awful and with any luck of a play he makes always does that "safe" signal. I cannot stand watching the guy get burnt time and time again. Or causing penalties. Outrageously horrible.

If J Williams and Stewart start next year we will know the process is flawed. If Obi is still at safety we will have wasted our money as fans again.

Reaction Score
If J Williams and Stewart start next year we will know the process is flawed. If Obi is still at safety we will have wasted our money as fans again.
I haven't seen any improvement from our d backs. Always trailing behind receivers,never looking back for the ball,and always getting called for pass interference.

Reaction Score
here's my thought, get all new starters from JUCO for almost every skill position. dagger through the heart of the abomination this team became in 2011 and do a real rebuild. i know its cold, but there is no reason to hold onto scholarship players if they have no business being in a d1 football program

Reaction Score
I was surprised that we had 4 DB's already committed for 015. Not anymore.
They know it's an open competition for starting position against these DB's. I pray someone steps up out of this mess.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reminds me of when Gratz and Wreh-Wilson were put out there due to attrition and injury. Both of them got burnt a bunch, but they learned and grew.

Our corners are learning how to be physical at the college level and will get better. Our safeties are learning how to cover in space.

I'm not worried about CB's and S's.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of when Gratz and Wreh-Wilson were put out there due to attrition and injury. Both of them got burnt a bunch, but they learned and grew.

Our corners are learning how to be physical at the college level and will get better. Our safeties are learning how to cover in space.

I hope they learn before they are seniors.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Disagree Diesel, J Williams and Obi have had plenty of PT in the last 2 years and are not getting better. Put some weight on Obi and sit Stewart and we might be better at OLB.

Reaction Score
Disagree Diesel, J Williams and Obi have had plenty of PT in the last 2 years and are not getting better. Put some weight on Obi and sit Stewart and we might be better at OLB.
I agree.

Reaction Score
Put some weight on Stewart and move him to DE when we're in our base 4-3. The guy can't play and think simultaneously. When we're not in a 4-3 he needs to be on the bench. I agree about Obi as well he has the mentality for OLB.

Reaction Score
I am fine with our dbs, williams included. The issue is the lack of pass rush. We need to increase our speed on the outside of our front 7. The staff needs to identify some pass rushers at OLB. They can come in on obvious passing situations. But right now, we have no one who brings speed off the edge.

Increasing the speed of this defense is paramount next year. I remain in the move Obi to olb camp. Will increase overall team speed, and he will be a much better coverage backer than Graham Stewart. I would seriously consider moving Stewart to a FB/H Back role.

Reaction Score

I agree. I think we are in very good position going into next season with a defensive secondary. I am worried about our OLB's though. Somebody needs to tell #2, that when you are playing OLB on the outside of a formation, and the QB is running the ball at you, or any other player is running the ball at you in open space - - you step OUT - not in. Same thing for the DE's.

Very simple guys....you are on the outside of the formation. Step OUT - not in.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think we are in very good position going into next season with a defensive secondary. I am worried about our OLB's though. Somebody needs to tell #2, that when you are playing OLB on the outside of a formation, and the QB is running the ball at you, or any other player is running the ball at you in open space - - you step OUT - not in. Same thing for the DE's.

Very simple guys....you are on the outside of the formation. Step OUT - not in.

That is high school football basics. Outside shoulder of the deepest back.

Reaction Score

I disagree with this. I think Melifonwu played a great game today. I think our CB's played well today. We have no significant pass rush.

Lord help us, if Diaco has not recruited anyone with adequate speed to play defense and pass rush.

Reaction Score
I think William's issue is ball awareness. He sometimes commits absolutely unnecessary penalties. But I think he does a pretty good job sticking with receivers. There is only song long you can cover a receiver before he gets open. That is why we need to get a pass rush.

These last couple of games are the times the coaches should try different players in a pass rush role. Stand up Obi outside the end and have him speed rush. Try Junior Joseph as a pass rusher. Stand Cole Ormsby up. Anything.

Reaction Score
I think William's issue is ball awareness. He sometimes commits absolutely unnecessary penalties. But I think he does a pretty good job sticking with receivers. There is only song long you can cover a receiver before he gets open. That is why we need to get a pass rush.

These last couple of games are the times the coaches should try different players in a pass rush role. Stand up Obi outside the end and have him speed rush. Try Junior Joseph as a pass rusher. Stand Cole Ormsby up. Anything.

I've given up on coaching for this season. It's frustrating as hell to watch. I think #14 took his first real hit of the season tonight where he was in control, instead of getting bum rushed, and still coughed it up. Reminded me of some young idiot gung ho rushing into something, and getting his head blown off. So frustrating to watch. The game turned on that moment. Boyle trying to take on a defender on run and run over him.

News for you Tim, you're not Ben Roethlisberger. Short by an inch or two, and minus about 40 lbs. Don't try to run over linebackers. There is smart and brave - and there is dumb and brave, smart and brave lives. Now - maybe- had we not been rotating 3 QB's all season, our starting QB, might be mature enough by now, not to have done something stupid there, and maintained a drive to keep us within getting control of the game there - but we lost it. COACHING DECISIONS ALL SEASON LONG.

Ugg. As for the pass rush - I honestly don't recall the last blitz I saw from this defense. If it happened in recent games, I either wasn't paying attention well, or it was disguised really REALLY well.

If you're not going to bring extra pressure, you better find a player to put on the field that can do it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom