Our Big 3 and Ollie | The Boneyard

Our Big 3 and Ollie

Reaction Score
Our top 3 players this year and every year since Napier graduated have failed to lead the team by their play, their example and by their willing to sacrifice.

This falls on Ollie. To have Jalen Adams a junior and Terry in his second year here, not able to make any plays when other teams go on runs or play defense with intensity or set screens with a purpose are examples of lack of discipline. If your best players can't execute properly then you can't expect the rest of the team to be any better.

Alterique is a walking chronic injury waiting to flare up at any time. I like his movement on the court but he doesn't give us enough against solid teams and his defense is as bad as the rest of the team.

The type of execution we see on offense is high school level.

We have good guards plus Larrier that provide enough pieces to run good offense. Larrier, Vital, or Anderson should be the guys setting picks for Adams and Gilbert on pick and rolls. Need a guy that is a threat in those situations not Onourah or Carlton or etc.

PS: The body language in that press conference yesterday was bad. It looked like Jalen was the coach and Ollie was the player. Ollie had his head down the entire time and Jalen was giving the typical canned answers.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The body language in that press conference yesterday was bad. It looked like Jalen was the coach and Ollie was the player. Ollie had his head down the entire time and Jalen was giving the typical canned answers.

This is concerning

Either he lives and bleeds blue blood like many of us do OR he's doubting himself which can't be good

Jimmy better give him a pep talk and pronto

Reaction Score
Our top 3 players this year and every year since Napier graduated have failed to lead the team by their play, their example and by their willing to sacrifice.

This falls on Ollie. To have Jalen Adams a junior and Terry in his second year here, not able to make any plays when other teams go on runs or play defense with intensity or set screens with a purpose are examples of lack of discipline. If your best players can't execute properly then you can't expect the rest of the team to be any better.

Alterique is a walking chronic injury waiting to flare up at any time. I like his movement on the court but he doesn't give us enough against solid teams and his defense is as bad as the rest of the team.

The type of execution we see on offense is high school level.

We have good guards plus Larrier that provide enough pieces to run good offense. Larrier, Vital, or Anderson should be the guys setting picks for Adams and Gilbert on pick and rolls. Need a guy that is a threat in those situations not Onourah or Carlton or etc.

PS: The body language in that press conference yesterday was bad. It looked like Jalen was the coach and Ollie was the player. Ollie had his head down the entire time and Jalen was giving the typical canned answers.

Same body language he has at all the press conferences is this the first one you ever saw? And Alterique is a very good with a potential for great defender. "Doesn't give us enough against solid teams" hilarious he's played 8 games and now played 1 1/2 hurt again so where does this spew come from?

2 of your big 3 aren't working hard enough on both ends so please point that out while you're trying to throw out some facts and people under the bus.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Same body language he has at all the press conferences is this the first one you ever saw? And Alterique is a very good with a potential for great defender. "Doesn't give us enough against solid teams" hilarious he's played 8 games and now played 1 1/2 hurt again so where does this spew come from?

2 of your big 3 aren't working hard enough on both ends so please point that out while you're trying to throw out some facts and people under the bus.

I agree Mau
This guy is good at spewing all kinds of anti KO garbage - every post he says the same thing
A wealth of knowledge too - wants the compliment guards and TL to be setting picks - TL will break in half!
I am not saying that KO does not have any blame in the team' s horrendous performance Sunday but it has to be pointed out that Arkansas plays 5 seniors in their top 7, hit over 60% of their shots and were much more physical underneath - the first two are rarities and the last is going to be, unfortunately, a recurring theme until the young guys learn their positions.
It's ONE game where ALL the wheels fell off (not counting 2nd half MSU - that was a given)
Let's wait and see if this happens again vs a team that doesn't have top 25 talent - UConn doesn't have a top 25 unit right now
Arkansas will be making a lot of noise this year in the SEC

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This is concerning

Either he lives and bleeds blue blood like many of us do OR he's doubting himself which can't be good

Ollie was looking down at the stats taking notes

I went and watched the video, it wasn't bad at all. So I retract my concerns

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree Mau
This guy is good at spewing all kinds of anti KO garbage - every post he says the same thing
A wealth of knowledge too - wants the compliment guards and TL to be setting picks - TL will break in half!
I am not saying that KO does not have any blame in the team' s horrendous performance Sunday but it has to be pointed out that Arkansas plays 5 seniors in their top 7, hit over 60% of their shots and were much more physical underneath - the first two are rarities and the last is going to be, unfortunately, a recurring theme until the young guys learn their positions.
It's ONE game where ALL the wheels fell off (not counting 2nd half MSU - that was a given)
Let's wait and see if this happens again vs a team that doesn't have top 25 talent - UConn doesn't have a top 25 unit right now
Great read Mau Cam. Our guys are young and playing together for first time. Ollie said one thing in the press conference that I agree on. "it's hard to beat a team that's hot". Unless I was watching the wrong game they were dropping threes left and right. AND a couple where they had Larrier in their face!! You can blame perimeter defense. However, when they are dropping way in the corner, between 3 point Circe and half court, what are you going to do. Arkansas sensed they were rolling and had fun with it. Remember last year? Was it? Texas comes in and hits a three deep in the corner with 2 seconds left? Then the next week Yale does the same exact thing???!!
Ollie's fault ? Players? The guy for MSU who scores 15 points, but decided to go nuts and score 28 on unconscious shooter. UConn teams have been experiencing those same events for last couple of years. 2nd half starts playing Ark. Our boys cut it to 10. Then Ark buries two threes in a row. That took the wind out of the sails for sure. Players could step up, no doubt, but these guys also have to deal with no luck.

Reaction Score
Don't under estimate the impact of the Saturday morning start on the players. Synching sleep cycles is a big part of competition time zones away. Just another short straw for the Huskies who have slow start issues to begin with.

Reaction Score
I’m watching these big 10 vs acc challenge which had me thinking why isn’t the aac challenging another conference .. that would draw a lot more fans and help with recruiting..

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I’m watching these big 10 vs acc challenge which had me thinking why isn’t the aac challenging another conference .. that would draw a lot more fans and help with recruiting..
I'll pass on a challenge with the MW or A-10.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bottom line is UConn's best players don't elevate the game of their teammates and have consistently failed to match the performance of opponents best players.

This is in high contrast of the two most championship teams where Kemba and Bazz thrived on going tit for tat against opponents best players.

For this team, the moment is bigger than the players.

Reaction Score
Don't under estimate the impact of the Saturday morning start on the players. Synching sleep cycles is a big part of competition time zones away. Just another short straw for the Huskies who have slow start issues to begin with.
As the late Al McGuire used to say Boy you’re really reaching for it now. We lost because we didn’t get enough sleep! Good grief.

Reaction Score
This is concerning

SOLUTION!
Give him another raise just like Diaco for a few terrible years of coaching. I just can't figure out Uconn's leadership.

Reaction Score
Coach Ollie has the best seat in the house. Ad could get big $$$ for that seat. Seems Ollie is just watching the game and not managing the game too many times the game goes away and momentum goes to the opposition.

Reaction Score
I agree Mau

I agree with Mau. Adams was beat off the dribble all game and it was killing us. Gilbert has had issues but I don't think it affected as much as some has indicated as he came back in against Mich State and drove and scored right away. Only time was against Arkansas and even if he was 100% we still get blown out.

Bottom line is when you have no low post scoring and cant shoot from the outside you better play great defense, like Cincy of days past, and we don't play good defense. Top teams will shut down our dribble penetration and we need to be able to hit shots and hit the boards if we ain't hitting.

Reaction Score
Great read Mau Cam. Our guys are young and playing together for first time. Ollie said one thing in the press conference that I agree on. "it's hard to beat a team that's hot". Unless I was watching the wrong game they were dropping threes left and right. AND a couple where they had Larrier in their face!! You can blame perimeter defense. However, when they are dropping way in the corner, between 3 point Circe and half court, what are you going to do. Arkansas sensed they were rolling and had fun with it. Remember last year? Was it? Texas comes in and hits a three deep in the corner with 2 seconds left? Then the next week Yale does the same exact thing???!!
Ollie's fault ? Players? The guy for MSU who scores 15 points, but decided to go nuts and score 28 on unconscious shooter. UConn teams have been experiencing those same events for last couple of years. 2nd half starts playing Ark. Our boys cut it to 10. Then Ark buries two threes in a row. That took the wind out of the sails for sure. Players could step up, no doubt, but these guys also have to deal with no luck.

I'm perpetually tired of this 'the players are young and playing together for the first time'. First, that's a challenge almost every coach in America has, that's not an excuse to play the way this team has played. Second, one of the major reasons we're starting younger guys and this team hasn't had a lot of minutes is due to a number of guys transferring, which like it or not also falls in KO's lap (I'm not blaming KO entirely - I think some of their attitudes left a lot to be desired - but it's obvious that he rubbed at least some of them the wrong way). I'm tired of KO creating his own issues and then his backers using those self inflicted wounds as excuses for our dismal performances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom