Our 4 games that are 'missing'? | The Boneyard

Our 4 games that are 'missing'?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Due to covid our games with Marquette/DePaul/Georgetown and Villanova were
postponed....as far as I know not cancelled.

Our original schedule was definitely back-loaded with more games late than early.
Do we have any idea if all/some/none of those games will be made up...and their possible dates?
IMO...the more we play the better our shot come The Dance.

Have any of The Horde spoken to this issue?

There are several gaps in our schedule coming up...of 3 or even 4 days...that would seem to suggest
playing those games would be very do-able.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Due to covid our games with Marquette/DePaul/Georgetown and Villanova were
postponed....as far as I know not cancelled.

Our original schedule was definitely back-loaded with more games late than early.
Do we have any idea if all/some/none of those games will be made up...and their possible dates?
IMO...the more we play the better our shot come The Dance.

Have any of The Horde spoken to this issue?

There are several gaps in our schedule coming up...of 3 or even 4 days...that would seem to suggest
playing those games would be very do-able.

I hope they prioritize in case they can't get all the games in. Need the DePaul game to try to get a few decent wins under our belt.

Reaction Score
This has been on my mind. I believe all of the postponed UConn men's game have been rescheduled (I could be wrong), but none of the women's games. Why is that? I can appreciate the difficulty with the logistics, but none? Really none? The BE needs to step in and fix this.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Personally I would rather wait until we have at least 2 out of the 3 unavailable players back. And I believe that Christyn may be available on Thursday against SC but she still will need time to get back to game condition. Azzi I am guessing won't be available until sometime in February.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would not count on UCONN making up any games at this point of the season the cancellations across the college landscape are too complex to repair. I think the season proceeds with the hope of no additional cancellations and the hope that COVID will be manageable enough to conduct both the conference and NCAA tournaments.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is also the issue of incentives. Why would other Big East teams be in any hurry to reschedule a "postponed" game against UConn, and almost certainly get another conference loss, when they are desperate to finish high in the conference standings to get an NCAA bid? Remember that the standings are based on winning percentage in conference, so it's much better to have an unplayed game than to play it and take a conference loss.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
With two OOC games still scheduled and that the teams are limited to only three games a week, it looks like the most that could be rescheduled prior to the Big East Tournament is two games. The only way that all four games get rescheduled is that the two OOC games get canceled.

Reaction Score
I think one of them has already been rescheduled, but I'd be surprised if the others are made up unless they would impact the conference standings in a meaningful way. The Big East trying to pack in 20 games in such a short time period makes it hard to reschedule anything if the need arises.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There is also the issue of incentives. Why would other Big East teams be in any hurry to reschedule a "postponed" game against UConn, and almost certainly get another conference loss, when they are desperate to finish high in the conference standings to get an NCAA bid? Remember that the standings are based on winning percentage in conference, so it's much better to have an unplayed game than to play it and take a conference loss.

I don't think Bruno would duck Geno (especially without Paige). Without Paige, Depaul would be formidable and I am sure he would think they have a good chance (as good as he has ever had) . I don't think a loss to UConn would not change seedings into NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
My opinion is the more games that can be scheduled
after Paige, Azzi, and Christyn are "cleared for action"
the better UCONN's chances. so..... "play on" play
anyone! Please.... be ready for March ( and April ).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think one of them has already been rescheduled, but I'd be surprised if the others are made up unless they would impact the conference standings in a meaningful way. The Big East trying to pack in 20 games in such a short time period makes it hard to reschedule anything if the need arises.
No games have been rescheduled, so far the schedule shows only 1 game against the 4 teams that have been postponed. Three home games against Villanova, DePaul, Georgetown, and the road game at Marquette.

Reaction Score
No.
1) this year in particular these teams have a shot at winning, which would be a huge boost
2) their SOS would be helped
3) a loss does not hurt in the committees eyes

Reaction Score
The problem is that UConn has very few windows to make up games. There are only 3 times where UConn has more than 3 days between games. One of those is this Tuesday, which is pretty much out at this point.
The other 2 are the last 2 weeks of Feb when there are no games between Sunday and Friday, so a Tues/Weds game would be feasible. A 3rd window would be before the BET.

Reaction Score
UConn is at Marquette on 2/13. Would be nice if the BE could fit in a game at DePaul on the 15th. Of course that would be a quick turnaround from playing the BDs at home on the 11th.

Reaction Score
Isn't there some rule where you can't play more than 3 days a week? We may never get all those games in.

Reaction Score
My main two questions are:

1) How many more games does UConn need/could they possibly miss and still meet the 25 game threshold?

2) Do we have timetables for Paige, Azzi, Christyn, and/or Aubrey? I though they said Paige was likely mid-Feb and Christyn should be back within the next week if it’s just COVID protocols, but do we have more firm information or definite dates or any info on Azzi or Aubrey?

Reaction Score
I would not count on UCONN making up any games at this point of the season the cancellations across the college landscape are too complex to repair. I think the season proceeds with the hope of no additional cancellations and the hope that COVID will be manageable enough to conduct both the conference and NCAA tournaments.
CocoHusky It is my understanding that postponed BE games have to be made up for the tournament so every team has the proper record for seeding every team! You can't have 1 team with 8 games another with 11 and another with 16!
Non conference games CAN be cancelled!
Unless the BE can come up with a method of making records all equal!

Reaction Score
CocoHusky It is my understanding that postponed BE games have to be made up for the tournament so every team has the proper record for seeding every team! You can't have 1 team with 8 games another with 11 and another with 16!
Sure you can.
7-3 = .700
8-8 = .500
Etc

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
The UConn website lists the games as "postponed" in the schedule section and "canceled" in the news section. "Postponed" and "canceled" are not synonyms. Clearly, @Blakeon18, you're not the only one who isn't sure about the status of those four games.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the BE handles rescheduling the games according to the individual school's schedule, so no school could intentionally avoid playing UConn if the BE reschedules their game.

Reaction Score
Sure you can.
7-3 = .700
8-8 = .500
Etc
The BE did last year when you had a team like Xavier with significantly less league games played than Marquette or UConn. My guess is, the BE will just go off the league winning percentage to determine seeding if the games are not made up. If two teams tie then head-to-head would be the tie breaker and if that is tied, then points total can be used (I have no idea if the BE uses this method for tie breakers, so it is pure speculation on my part).

Reaction Score
not sure why the Big east would not reschedule Uconn at Depaul, that's a big money game for the conference.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Isn't there some rule where you can't play more than 3 days a week? We may never get all those games in.
Yes, Geno mentioned it in one of his post game interviews that the Big East doesn't allow more than 3 games in a week. The only exception is the Big East Tournament and that only happens if one of the First round winners make it to the final's then it would be 4 games.

Reaction Score
That's exactly why I said the BE needs to fix this. Either UConn is in the league or we aren't. This is a BE embarrassment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom