Other Teams You’re Rooting For in the 2023 NCAA Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other Teams You’re Rooting For in the 2023 NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
Penn State because they're a football school and it's nice to see them make the tournament. Loved Rutgers and North Carolina missing the tournament. Was hoping Yale would've made it, but Princeton got the bid.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Since the OBE went kaput, my wife now roots for UConn so least I can do for her is root for Pitt.

Go ahead, bring on the hate.

Reaction Score
Dad went to Colgate, so pulling for them and think they have a good shot at a win or two if they’re hitting, though Texas has looked very good recently.

Sister went to UVM and always have been a fan. Becker is one of the better coaches in the country as well, no idea how/why he hasn’t made a jump to a big school yet.

Marquette because Shaka is great, seems like a good guy, and their team just impresses me immensely.

Kansas State because the Keyontae Johnson story. Would be so cool to see for them and him, of course if it has to be someone other than us.

Reaction Score
2014 UConn:
Blown out in conference championship
Underseeded as a #7 seed
Paired with regional rival in second round
Won National Championship

2023 Texas A&M:
Underseeded as a #7 seed
???

Reaction Score
2014 UConn:
Underseeded as a #7 seed
Won National Championship

2023 Texas A&M:
Underseeded as a #7 seed
???
That Texas draw is brutal though.

Reaction Score
I have always respected the job Kelvin Sampson has done in Houston. I also like that he revitalized Josh Carlton. I normally root for BE teams against non-BE teams in the NCAAT, but I was pulling for Houston last year against Nova.

I also pull for Connecticut teams in the NCAAT, but Yale to my dismay lost to Princeton.

I like Marquette and Shaka Smart and really respect that team even though I lament the fact if UConn makes their FTs better and 1-2 good looks, it might have been UConn cutting down the nets at MSG.

I could pull for Iona because they are a close to NYC and I have friends from New Rochelle. Also, Taliek Brown is an assistant coach there and he is a part of the UConn family. Interesting thought is that Taliek will most likely follow Rick to St. John's. Of course I am assuming Rick to St. John's is a done deal and I might be in for a surprise.

Penn State - I know nothing about them except that their coach is in high consideration for the Georgetown job and that their win over IU helped UConn.

As for Providence, I will pull for them. They are in the BE and I always pull for the BE teams against non-BE teams. However, PC fans, and Nova fans really hate us and most wouldn't reciprocate (not talking about Friar J, he is cool). If you look at my past posts I always say "UConn has to do this to win.." or whatever and I never use the pronoun "we" as I separate myself from the team. But when I say PC fans and Nova fans hate us, I mean they hate UConn and their fans as they think UConn fans are obnoxious. In Villanova SB Nation, they were quite a few comments saying "ABC" meaning "Anyone But Connecticut" was their rooting interest to win the BET and reveled in Marquette beating UConn.
Most PC fans root for all of the Big East schools in the tournament, including UConn. I always do. Like UConn, we have some obvious fans, but most love and appreciate the Big East. I think it's going to be a good year for the league.

Reaction Score
Most PC fans root for all of the Big East schools in the tournament, including UConn. I always do. Like UConn, we have some obvious fans, but most love and appreciate the Big East. I think it's going to be a good year for the league.
oh interesting, okay. I will tell you, though, on Friar Talk, their sentiments towards UConn and UConn fans was not good. I know Friar Talk is only a sample so I will trust your take on that. In any case, I do like the animus or disdain of some their fans as it makes for a good rivalry which is what I want.

That's why I am hoping Cooley stays put at PC. If he goes to GTown, that would be a gut punch to Providence as I know he is revered there. Also, it might send PC spiraling to irrelevancy like 2005-2010 if they can't replace him with someone good. PC loses big if that happens and it certainly isn't good for UConn or the Big East.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I grew up in Mansfield, got my bachelor’s and my father taught at UConn, so they are number one by far.
Two of my almae matres are in as well, SDSU and Texas
Also will cheer for FAU and for underdogs in general.
Of course, will root against Duke and Kentucky

Reaction Score
Iowa... I like Fran and their game. Also, ASU as I earned my Masters there.

Reaction Score
I dont ever root for anyone else. But yeah betting leads me down some strange paths sometimes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You already know.
1. UConn
2. Kansas
3. K-State
4. Vermont
5. Big East teams

We do get tournament shares if Big East teams win.
Obviously the first one doesn’t apply in the Sweet 16. Really didn’t want that to happen, but it is what it is. Should add Charleston. Ever since the classic I can’t help but like them. That coach should land a big job soon. Was really good at Winthrop and now this.

Reaction Score
In the NCAA Tournament:
Anybody playing Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky
The remaining Big East schools (the further they go the more money goes in UConn's pockets)
Vermont/FAU/Arizona State

In the NIT:
Yale
Wisconsin

Reaction Score
oh interesting, okay. I will tell you, though, on Friar Talk, their sentiments towards UConn and UConn fans was not good. I know Friar Talk is only a sample so I will trust your take on that. In any case, I do like the animus or disdain of some their fans as it makes for a good rivalry which is what I want.

That's why I am hoping Cooley stays put at PC. If he goes to GTown, that would be a gut punch to Providence as I know he is revered there. Also, it might send PC spiraling to irrelevancy like 2005-2010 if they can't replace him with someone good. PC loses big if that happens and it certainly isn't good for UConn or the Big East.
No different than the constant complaining about "Pee Cee" here. It's an unrealistic sample. The better the Big East does, the better it is for everyone.

Reaction Score
Went to grad school at Rutgers and considering they have a UConn alum as coach I was excited to see if they could make some noise but in true Rutgers fashion they totally blew it down the stretch and got left out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom