Other surprises | The Boneyard

Other surprises

Reaction Score
So, since some seem surprised at HCJMs qb decision, what other depth chart surprises are folks contemplating?

I am interested to see who lines up at LB. We’ve got some studs up front, so active, good tackling LBs not named Mitchell shd thrive.

Reaction Score
I thought Donovan Branch looked good as a pass rushing DE as a true frosh. Seems he leaped frogged some talented transfers for an OLB starting spot. That would impress me with his size.

I think the DL rotation is solid. Legit 8 deep if not more. Carter Hooper i think could be a stud.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Also interested in seeing the secondary depth chart, we brought in some nice transfers want to see how Mora thinks they step up.

Reaction Score
I think WR could be a little up in the air as the coaches look for production, watch the films and settle on guys that can separate and make catches. And with a new QB some guys are just going to be those he looks for in certain situations. But JF does seem to move through his progressions well. Just have to learn how the guys run their routes and get timing down. That said hopefully we see a committee of healthy receivers making contributions.

Reaction Score
I am very interested in our 2 starting cornerbacks. To me it was the weakest position on our defense last year.

Reaction Score
I am surprised we are not even an honorable mention for ESPN's Bottom 10.
Really? Is that a joke? Or are you saying ESPN does not give us respect? We are 86 in the most updated rankings that I saw in the Athletic and 89 I think in CBS…out of 131 teams….they finished the season in the 80s last year and are clearly much better.

Reaction Score
When does the media guide usually come out? Week of? Day of?

Reaction Score
I am very interested in our 2 starting cornerbacks. To me it was the weakest position on our defense last year.
What makes you say this? Shearin is mated as one of the better slot corners in CFB and Bell was pretty good. Wortham was a star. Anything that came before Fresno game imo shouldn’t really count towards this evaluation because that was when they changed the defensive scheme.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Kicker. Huskies had what I believe was a high school all american when he came in, till he got hurt. The kid last year really stepped up to take over. Going to be interesting
Have not heard a lot. McFadden was great in 2021, got hurt close to start of ‘22 and Ruelas stepped in and up. McF can punt, so we may see both.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Kicker. Huskies had what I believe was a high school all american when he came in, till he got hurt. The kid last year really stepped up to take over. Going to be interesting
I think McFadden has the bigger leg so he might do kick offs and longers FG? I hate when teams do that, switch between FG kickers. It's kind of a nice problem to have, two good kickers. Can't recall the last we had one really solid kicker

Reaction Score
What makes you say this? Shearin is mated as one of the better slot corners in CFB and Bell was pretty good. Wortham was a star. Anything that came before Fresno game imo shouldn’t really count towards this evaluation because that was when they changed the defensive scheme.
Weakest but not necessarily bad. Shearin did a good job. I love Malcom Bell’s potential but he struggled with the yellow flags. Wortham had a nice year. I think our safeties was the strength of our secondary. We need better locked down cover corners if our defense is going to improve over last year. So I am very interested to see if one of our transfers start at one of the cornerback positions! I am optimistic that our defense will be better then last year.

Reaction Score
Weakest but not necessarily bad. Shearin did a good job. I love Malcom Bell’s potential but he struggled with the yellow flags. Wortham had a nice year. I think our safeties was the strength of our secondary. We need better locked down cover corners if our defense is going to improve over last year. So I am very interested to see if one of our transfers start at one of the cornerback positions! I am optimistic that our defense will be better then last year.
The cornerback play last year was the best it had been in years and was good enough that over the last 7 games the passing defense was really good. But it might have been the weakest unit on D still.

Reaction Score
As a guy who loves players who can get after it, Donovan Branch starting as a standup LB in the 4-3 is very interesting to me.

I saw a tweet that claimed Mumu & Armauni Archie are at the top of the CB depth chart...if so, that means both guys leapfrogged a guy in Malcolm Bell, who I think is pretty solid himself.

On the OL it seems like they really like Yakari Walker, the size is a bit concerning to me, but after last year Coach Sammis really showed he knows what he's doing. If that's the case and he performs, it would be great to lock the Center position down for the next 3 years, especially with two new starters at guard in 2024.

Reaction Score
Well said, our safeties are very good at their specific roles.

Durante is more of an old school SS, don't love him in coverage, but he makes plays & brings the hammer on hits. Williams-Dixon has an absolute ball hawk in center field by the end of the season, very impressed.

I really like Malcolm Bell, but agree that due to the lack of real depth we had to deal with some of his growing pains last season.

Reaction Score
Really? Is that a joke? Or are you saying ESPN does not give us respect? We are 86 in the most updated rankings that I saw in the Athletic and 89 I think in CBS…out of 131 teams….they finished the season in the 80s last year and are clearly much better.
It's tongue in cheek. ESPN absolutely gives no respect to UConn....ever.

Reaction Score
Corners benefitted last year as more pressure was put on the QB than in the past. Bembry was not very productive as the rush LB. Had to move him and the D out from the 3-4. Nice having so many DLinemen to rotate in, even Branch played some as a DE. All of Worthem's interceptions were the result of QB pressuring bad throws. They played well and hope the DB group keeps getting faster.

Reaction Score
Corners benefitted last year as more pressure was put on the QB than in the past. Bembry was not very productive as the rush LB. Had to move him and the D out from the 3-4. Nice having so many DLinemen to rotate in, even Branch played some as a DE. All of Worthem's interceptions were the result of QB pressuring bad throws. They played well and hope the DB group keeps getting faster.

The switch to the 4-3, and more specifically putting Yates on the field in place of Bembry, might have been the single key to the improved defensive performance,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom