other Pac 12 games 2/4 | The Boneyard

other Pac 12 games 2/4

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Utah got payback from Friday, beat Colorado in Boulder 78-74.

Arizona won the battle of the cellar dwellers 72-70 against Washington. It's very possible both teams lose out the rest of the way, Arizona has a 1 game lead in the standings now.

OSU up 38-21 early 3rd quarter against Cal. McWilliams is continuing her recent renaissance, led all scorers w/ 14 first half points. Hey lotrader, what has gotten into her lately? Beavs fans have to be loving it, whatever it is!

Arizona St. up 35-21 against Washington St. in Q3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal ends Q3 on a 12-4 run. OSU going w/ the hold the ball til there are a couple seconds left on the shot clock and then toss up some desperation shot that has no chance of going in offensive scheme. Brilliant.

Reaction Score
Utah got payback from Friday, beat Colorado in Boulder 78-74.

Arizona won the battle of the cellar dwellers 72-70 against Washington. It's very possible both teams lose out the rest of the way, Arizona has a 1 game lead in the standings now.

OSU up 38-21 early 3rd quarter against Cal. McWilliams is continuing her recent renaissance, led all scorers w/ 14 first half points. Hey lotrader, what has gotten into her lately? Beavs fans have to be loving it, whatever it is!

Arizona St. up 35-21 against Washington St. in Q3.
McWilliams, for 2 1/2 seasons was a reluctant shooter. At 6'2", she has such an advantage, and is a very good outside shot. Many people may not remember that when OSU played UCONN in the final 4, McWilliams hit 3 consecutive 3 pointers (so Rueck took her out the rest of the game?). I believe that Katie has realized that she must be a scorer, as well as a lock down defender. She is a gem that nobody outside of the PAC12 realizes. She will be a huge contributor come NCAA Tournament time. OSU has a lot of competent outside shooters on this team, more than they have ever had in the past.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I hope you are joking as OSU has been known for their 3 point shooting for the last several years.

Reaction Score
I hope you are joking as OSU has been known for their 3 point shooting for the last several years.
Not joking. Much better 3-point shooting team this year than any year in the past.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The 3 point shooting has been completely absent this weekend. 6-21 today and 6-22 against Stanford. Today they are getting a ton of O boards, killing Cal's chances of a comeback.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I believe that Katie has realized that she must be a scorer

She scored 29 in a game right at the beginning of her soph year. I thought she was going to take up some of the scoring slack after Weisner graduated. The rest of that season and most of this season she just hasn't looked to score much. She's only averaging 6.8 ppg but has scored 15, 16 and 19 the last 3 games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gulich w/ a big bounce back game after her struggle against Stanford--20 and 10 w/ 4 blocks. 68-48 final.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ASU cruises 77-51. Ekmark scored 18.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
More separation in the conference now. UCLA could force a 3 way tie for first. OSU and ASU are 2 games back of the leaders. USC, Utah and Cal are falling back. Bottom 4 are still clearly the bottom 4.

Reaction Score
Today, Rueck kept Maddie Washington on the bench--she was a disaster against Stanford. MW came in during the 4th quarter (when the game was in hand) and immediately turned it over, and out she came. Maddie should be 9th or 10th player in his rotation. I like it when he relieves Coresdale with Grymec while Jo remains in the game with Gulich. I hope Jo gets some additional minutes next week vs the Washington schools. While Taylor Kalmer didn't hit many of her open shots today, she was fantastic at penetrating and finding open players. TK also played excellent defense. I am glad Rueck gave her minutes today. Looking forward to seeing how the Beavers play on the road next week.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing how the Beavers play on the road next week.

I'm planning on going to the UW-OSU game.

I missed the first half, but in the 2nd half Grymek looked pretty bad to me. Missed a bunch of bunnies. No excuse for not hitting those when you are 6-8. I like Kalmer too, she definitely brings something different to the court than any of the other guards. This is looking ahead, but next year is going to be a serious numbers crunch for the guards/wings. No Sr. in what is already a 5 player rotation for 3 spots plus you add Slocum, who I'm assuming is gonna get big minutes. Either Goodman or Kalmer might find it difficult to get many minutes next season.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Well I was 100% wrong on Stanford. I still dont like their line up but they are winning and winning on the road.
I am guessing this is more an off year for the Pac 12 than I expected and Oregon isnt ready, at least as of today, to take control.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well I was 100% wrong on Stanford. I still dont like their line up but they are winning and winning on the road.

I thought Stanford and UCLA were the frontrunners before the season started, not Oregon. I totally gave up on Stanford after their brutal OOC performance. But they've bounced back nicely. I felt like McPhee, Smith, Johnson and Sniezek was a better returning core of upperclassmen veterans than most were giving them credit for being. Johnson and Sniezek don't score much but they do some other things. McPhee and Smith can both obviously put the ball in the bucket. Probably the biggest key for them has been the progress Kiana Williams has made. The rest of the Fr./Sophs are still pretty up and down and hard to count on from game to game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon isnt ready, at least as of today, to take control.

Stanford has a fairly easy remaining schedule, although rivalry games can be tricky and that stupid back to back scheduling thing the Pac 12 does, maybe they'll stumble at Berkley.

Oregon has 2 really big games left--hosting UCLA (who they already beat in LA) and @ ASU. Wouldn't be too surprised to see both Oregon and Stanford run the table and share the conference crown. Tie breaker is only used for seeding in the conference tournament.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched the first half of the OSU game. Anigwe appeared fairly disinterested for long stretches of the game. She has all the physical tools in the world but doesn't look like she has the mindset to try to dominate the game. At least not this year. I haven't watched Cal much, but my impression is that she was much better last year, maybe better during her Fr. year as well.

McWilliams scored 14 in the first quarter. Only scored 5 the rest of the game, but she got OSU off to a fast start and they never looked back, so her early output was critical.

Reaction Score
I'm planning on going to the UW-OSU game.

I missed the first half, but in the 2nd half Grymek looked pretty bad to me. Missed a bunch of bunnies. No excuse for not hitting those when you are 6-8. I like Kalmer too, she definitely brings something different to the court than any of the other guards. This is looking ahead, but next year is going to be a serious numbers crunch for the guards/wings. No Sr. in what is already a 5 player rotation for 3 spots plus you add Slocum, who I'm assuming is gonna get big minutes. Either Goodman or Kalmer might find it difficult to get many minutes next season.
Will look forward to your post on this game. GO BEAVS!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Watched the first half of the OSU game. Anigwe appeared fairly disinterested for long stretches of the game. She has all the physical tools in the world but doesn't look like she has the mindset to try to dominate the game. At least not this year. I haven't watched Cal much, but my impression is that she was much better last year, maybe better during her Fr. year as well.

McWilliams scored 14 in the first quarter. Only scored 5 the rest of the game, but she got OSU off to a fast start and they never looked back, so her early output was critical.

On Rebkell and the Cal Forum supposedly Anigwe flipped the "Middle Finger" to the Oregon bench the other day. Clay Kallum posted it on both forums then took down his post. Interesting to see what might come of it from the Cal staff.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not joking. Much better 3-point shooting team this year than any year in the past.

Games of note as your OOC was pretty weak v Notre Dame you were 2/4, v Duke 9/25, UCLA 2/12, ASU 1/7, Oregon 13/26 (so is this the anomaly or the other games) than v OR 7/21, Stanford 6/22, Cal 7/23. From scouting I don't see it. And I Know the PAC teams are less concerned about your 3's than Gulich. Maybe you will demonstrate this down the road but your previous teams were overplayed on the three point line as you had players who could launch quickly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I agree w/ LOTRADER. Going back several seasons it was mostly Wiese you had to be concerned w/ behind the arc. Weisner was pretty dangerous her Sr. year. Hunter hit a few, Hanson would take some but rarely hit. Gibson (?) would take a few.

Now you have Tudor, McWilliams, Kalmer, Goodman, Corosdale and Pivec that can all hit them, usually have at least 3 of those players on the floor at the same time, sometimes 4 of them together. None of them take as many 3's as Wiese did, but having 3 or 4 on the floor at the same time that can hit them regularly is a bit different dynamic.

Reaction Score
Games of note as your OOC was pretty weak v Notre Dame you were 2/4, v Duke 9/25, UCLA 2/12, ASU 1/7, Oregon 13/26 (so is this the anomaly or the other games) than v OR 7/21, Stanford 6/22, Cal 7/23. From scouting I don't see it. And I Know the PAC teams are less concerned about your 3's than Gulich. Maybe you will demonstrate this down the road but your previous teams were overplayed on the three point line as you had players who could launch quickly.
See nwhoopfans post.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I agree w/ LOTRADER. Going back several seasons it was mostly Wiese you had to be concerned w/ behind the arc. Weisner was pretty dangerous her Sr. year. Hunter hit a few, Hanson would take some but rarely hit. Gibson (?) would take a few.

Now you have Tudor, McWilliams, Kalmer, Goodman, Corosdale and Pivec that can all hit them, usually have at least 3 of those players on the floor at the same time, sometimes 4 of them together. None of them take as many 3's as Wiese did, but having 3 or 4 on the floor at the same time that can hit them regularly is a bit different dynamic.

I guess thats why they are not as good as that team who put OSU on the map :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess thats why they are not as good as that team who put OSU on the map :rolleyes:

As always, it's an interesting debate whether balanced scoring or having a couple of stars to carry the team is overall better. They definitely don't have the equivalent of the Weisner/Wiese duo currently.

Wiese herself was turnover prone, but she was the starting PG for 4 years. I think most of their struggles this year are because they don't really have a true PG. Pivec and McWilliams are trying, but aren't quite the answer, and Fr. Goodman isn't ready. Next year they have the answer at the PG position but unfortunately won't have Gulich anchoring the middle anymore.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Oregon St. take more effort in getting the ball to who ever has the hot hand during games. I have not seen too much emphasis on that this season. They switched Williams of Kat to Mc Williams in the second half, and that was partially responsible for her decline in scoring. Yet you still need to have plays to free up your hot shooters. I would also like to see them use more picks and screens to free up their shooters. Stanford used picks and screens to get their parameter players a lot of looks. I don't know why Oregon St doesn't do more of that. Possibly because Weise used to create her own shots off the dribble. I actually think that Weiss's ball dominance is still negatively affecting the team this season. When you have the number of quality shooters that Oregon State has this season you need to have constant ball movement to take advantage of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom