Other Bubble Teams | The Boneyard

Other Bubble Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talked about this little yesterday, but Lunardi believes there are 17 true "bubble" teams going for 9 spots. He then has 7 teams that are true long shots Here is his list:

Probable (5). These teams have a 65 percent T.O.P or better and should make the tournament, provided they suffer "no bad losses" down the stretch: Syracuse, Providence, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Connecticut.

Coin flip (8). These teams are in the 50/50 T.O.P range and need at least one more "good win" to make the field: Michigan, Butler, Florida, Oregon State, Gonzaga, Tulsa, St. Bonaventure, Alabama.

Possible (4). These teams have a 35 percent T.O.P. or lower and need a really big finish and/or deep conference-tournament run: George Washington, Ohio State, Washington, LSU.

Long shots (7). These teams aren't completely off the board, but they better not lose before their respective conference-championship games. In a typical year, no one from this category actually makes the tournament: BYU, Stanford, Creighton, Clemson, Florida State, Marquette, Georgia Tech.

Let's focus on those 17 teams. For the probables. Syracuse lost last night, and is on the road this weekend at Florida St. Providence has Creighton at home and is at St. John's. Vandy has Tennessee at home and & Texas AM this week. Cincy is at Houston and home to SMU.

For the teams behind us: Michigan has only Iowa at home this week. Butler has Seton Hall and Marquette at home. Florida has Kentucky at home tonight, and is at Missouri. Oregon State has USC and UCLA on the road this week. Tulsa hosts USF in their only game this week. St. Bonaventure has St. Joes, and is at St. Louis. And Alabama has Arkansas, and at Georgia.

For the possible teams that need work, George Washington has George Mason, and at Davidson. Ohio State is at Michigan St. this week in their only game. Washington hosts Washington St this week. And finally LSU hosts Missouri and is at Kentucky.

Quick analysis: a lot of these teams only have one game this week, and they are tough games. While these teams are not playing each other this week, a lot of them come from the same leagues, so they will knock each other out in conference tournaments.

The bubble watch seemed to indicate this week that a loss at SMU and a win against UCF will keep us status quo in terms of where we are at right now. Not sure if I agree with that, but I get their point.

I will continue to say that a 2-0 week gets us in, and if we do lose to SMU and beat UCF, I think we need to win a game in the American. I do think there is a slight chance we could get in the field if we went 1-1 this week and lost our first game in the conference tournament, if everything broke right.

The bubble is terribly weak this year. Our numbers still stack up good, and we will play a good opponent (metrics wise) in the American tournament whether it is Houston or Cincy. The lack of a Top 100 + loss is saving us at this point, while other teams (like Tulsa) have a couple of these.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When is the last time UConn went into selection sunday not knowing if they would be in or out?

Has it happened in 20+ years?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The bubble watch seemed to indicate this week that a loss at SMU and a win against UCF will keep us status quo in terms of where we are at right now. Not sure if I agree with that, but I get their point.

They're pretty much right. The scenario you present moves us about 2 spots down in the RPI. Essentially flat.

What we (and any bubble team) needs to do is root for the following mid majors to win the conference tourneys:

Dayton
Wichita St
Monmouth
St Mary's (possibly)
Nova or Xavier ( :) )

Reaction Score
In terms of the other probables, we have 0 sub 100 losses

Cuse and PC have 3
Vandy has 2
Cincy has 1

Reaction Score
When is the last time UConn went into selection sunday not knowing if they would be in or out?

2011-2012.

Uconn was in major sweat it out mode until the very end that year.

I believe if they had lost to WVU in the BET, they could've missed the tournament.

Reaction Score
In terms of the other probables, we have 0 sub 100 losses

Cuse and PC have 3
Vandy has 2
Cincy has 1

Exactly. And UCF will most likely be our last Top 100 opponent.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

We were a bubble team in 2001 that got left out. Down year for the Big East. That's the only time I remember going into the show actually wondering if we'd be there or not.
Unless you count the 2007 NIT selection show, which did exist and I did watch. We got left out there, too.

Reaction Score
2011-2012.

Uconn was in major sweat it out mode until the very end that year.

I believe if they had lost to WVU in the BET, they could've missed the tournament.

I mean't more on selection sunday. In 2011-2012 we were solidly in by the time they were calling the brackets.

Not that I look forward to it, but this may be the first year we are watching on Sunday not knowing the result.

Reaction Score
They're pretty much right. The scenario you present moves us about 2 spots down in the RPI. Essentially flat.

What we (and any bubble team) needs to do is root for the following mid majors to win the conference tourneys:

Dayton
Wichita St
Monmouth
St Mary's (possibly)
Nova or Xavier ( :) )

Agree, a wildcard to UConn's potential detriment is that a team that is currently nowhere near the bubble gets hot in their conference tournament and 'steal's an automatic bid pushing 1 or 2 high quality teams into the at large team pool and thus stealing a slot to two from the bubble team. It happens every year. Thus, UConn needs to avoid being a bubble team. Beat SMU and make it at least the conference semi-final and UConn should not have to worry. If the Huskies don't, can only blame ourselves.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nice post. Thanks.

Ultimately, a concept undermentioned on this board, I'd like to see us win the conference tournament. This is eminently doable this year.

Reaction Score

It happened recently. UConn went into the 2012 selection with an 8-10 conference record. 20-12 overall. We were wondering if that was good enough.

Reaction Score
Well if according to Lunardi there 17 true "bubble" teams going for 9 spots....we are 5th on that list and need to be focused on
1) beating SMU
2) hoping the other teams lose games....
- so go KY beat FL tonight! If FL beats KY tonight I would say they move to lock territory and then only 8 spots left.
- go Tenn beat Vandy tonight
- go MO beat LSU tonight
- go VA beat Clemson tonight....obviously if Clemson beats VA they would rocket up the list

I don't see Witchita St. or St. Josephs in any of his bubble categories....so I guess they are locks...what a joke...check their resume's....no way they should be locks in his mind.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This is the first time in a while I'm going to be really nervous on selection sunday, provided we don't win the conference tourney.
It's even more frustrating because even though most of us overrated this team, they are still an NCAA tournament team.

Reaction Score
It happened recently. UConn went into the 2012 selection with an 8-10 conference record. 20-12 overall. We were wondering if that was good enough.
Our RPI was 32 and SOS was 2. If people on this board were worried they had no reason to be, we were a lock on selection sunday

Reaction Score
Our RPI was 32 and SOS was 2. If people on this board were worried they had no reason to be, we were a lock on selection sunday

But the 8-10 record.

Go back through the history of Selection Sunday. This only happens once every 3 years that a team with a losing conference record grabs an at large.

In fact, UConn 2012 is the last at-large team to have made the NCAAs with a losing conference record.

Reaction Score
But the 8-10 record.

Go back through the history of Selection Sunday. This only happens once every 3 years that a team with a losing conference record grabs an at large.

In fact, UConn 2012 is the last at-large team to have made the NCAAs with a losing conference record.
It has happened a lot: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/history/atlarge

2012 Connecticut (Jim Calhoun) 20-13 Big East 8-10 9th
2010 Georgia Tech (Paul Hewitt) 22-12 ACC 7-9 7th
2009 Arizona (Russ Pennell) 19-13 Pac-10 8-10 Tied 6th
2009 Maryland (Gary Williams) 20-13 ACC 7-9 Tied 7th
2008 Arizona (Kevin O’Neill) 19-14 Pac-10 8-10 7th
2007 Arkansas (Stan Heath) 21-13 SEC 7-9 Tied 3rd
2005 North Carolina St. (Herb Sendek) 19-13 ACC 7-9 Tied 6th
2005 Iowa (Steve Alford) 21-11 Big Ten 7-9 7th
2003 Alabama (Mark Gottfried) 17-11 SEC 7-9 4th
2001 Penn St. (Jerry Dunn) 19-11 Big Ten 7-9 Tied 6th

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The thing I don't like is the fact that we've lost to a couple of these teams we might be seeing head to head in the conversation. For example, if we stumble and it comes down to us or Gonzaga or us or Tulsa, does anyone think bad losses becomes the tie breaker?

Reaction Score
The thing I don't like is the fact that we've lost to a couple of these teams we might be seeing head to head in the conversation. For example, if we stumble and it comes down to us or Gonzaga or us or Tulsa, does anyone think bad losses becomes the tie breaker?
For someone with a similar profile like Cincinnati, it might. We split with Tulsa, and they have 2 losses outside of the Top 150. Gonzaga has zero Top 25 wins, and only 3 Top 100 wins.

Reaction Score
It is therapy for me too! I just look at all of these other bubble team's profiles, and everyone has warts. Some teams have better wins than us, but they have worse losses as well. Let's just beat SMU and then we are set. And let's root for these teams to continue to lose.

Reaction Score
Talked about this little yesterday, but Lunardi believes there are 17 true "bubble" teams going for 9 spots. He then has 7 teams that are true long shots Here is his list:

Probable (5). These teams have a 65 percent T.O.P or better and should make the tournament, provided they suffer "no bad losses" down the stretch: Syracuse, Providence, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Connecticut.

Coin flip (8). These teams are in the 50/50 T.O.P range and need at least one more "good win" to make the field: Michigan, Butler, Florida, Oregon State, Gonzaga, Tulsa, St. Bonaventure, Alabama.

Possible (4). These teams have a 35 percent T.O.P. or lower and need a really big finish and/or deep conference-tournament run: George Washington, Ohio State, Washington, LSU.

Long shots (7). These teams aren't completely off the board, but they better not lose before their respective conference-championship games. In a typical year, no one from this category actually makes the tournament: BYU, Stanford, Creighton, Clemson, Florida State, Marquette, Georgia Tech.

Let's focus on those 17 teams. For the probables. Syracuse lost last night, and is on the road this weekend at Florida St. Providence has Creighton at home and is at St. John's. Vandy has Tennessee at home and & Texas AM this week. Cincy is at Houston and home to SMU.

For the teams behind us: Michigan has only Iowa at home this week. Butler has Seton Hall and Marquette at home. Florida has Kentucky at home tonight, and is at Missouri. Oregon State has USC and UCLA on the road this week. Tulsa hosts USF in their only game this week. St. Bonaventure has St. Joes, and is at St. Louis. And Alabama has Arkansas, and at Georgia.

For the possible teams that need work, George Washington has George Mason, and at Davidson. Ohio State is at Michigan St. this week in their only game. Washington hosts Washington St this week. And finally LSU hosts Missouri and is at Kentucky.

Quick analysis: a lot of these teams only have one game this week, and they are tough games. While these teams are not playing each other this week, a lot of them come from the same leagues, so they will knock each other out in conference tournaments.

I will continue to say that a 2-0 week gets us in, and if we do lose to SMU and beat UCF, I think we need to win a game in the American. I do think there is a slight chance we could get in the field if we went 1-1 this week and lost our first game in the conference tournament, if everything broke right.

The bubble is terribly weak this year. Our numbers still stack up good, and we will play a good opponent (metrics wise) in the American tournament whether it is Houston or Cincy. The lack of a Top 100 + loss is saving us at this point, while other teams (like Tulsa) have a couple of these.
REALLY GREAT JOB! THANKS

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt blows out Tennessee. It looks like reducing the minutes of LaChance (a major defensive liability on the perimeter) has helped Vanderbilt.

Reaction Score
We'll squeak in closing out at 21-10 , and will be in fine shape at 22-9.
If we lose the last 2, we are in deep trouble and will need to win Conference Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom