OT: Your Greatest Olympic moments so far | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Your Greatest Olympic moments so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Roger Federer-Juan Martin Del Potro semifinals match that culminated in a 19-17 third set.

And Serena's dominance in general.

Plus the doubles victory of both sisters, considering we don't know if we just saw Venus' last appearance.
Damn that Sjogern's disease.

Reaction Score
It reminds me a little bit of Ali, who was as arrogant as they come....but when someone is at the pinnacle like that, it comes off differently to me. (Not saying he's at Ali's level of fame--not sure anybody short of Michael Jordan has gotten there.)
I accept Bolt's 'tude and choose to enjoy it. IMO it is a net positive for track & field, which has few identifiable 'characters' in the broader world of sport. Others will surely feel differently, which is well and good.

Just to set the record straight... Ali (as a Pro, not as a light heavyweight in the 60 Olympics) started the loudmouth "arrogant" schtick as a publicity stunt (courtesy of the the 'wrastler' Gorgeous George Wagner he'd seen). Ali was personally quite reserved, but saw the benefit (publicity & $) of adding a showy personality & act. At the time it was quite shocking... most athletes & public figures were pretty demure in the 50's & early 60's. My own boxing coach (ex-pro) didn't like Ali exactly for that behavior... it was seen as too boorish... you were "supposed" to act like a gentleman... thankful, not braggadocios. But what most didn't realize at the time... it was all an act. :)

Times have changed. Every (too many anyway) talentless nobodies on stoopid reality/talent show act like they're Gods gift to the entertainment world. Narcissism & arrogance has become normal.

Having said that, every great athlete DOES have an internal level of personal self-confidence that's equal to their God-given athletic talent. You HAVE to have that to work so long & hard to get yourself to the very top. So on a personal level, probably every winner at the Olympics, never mind every pro athlete out there, has a certain high level of internal "arrogance." The difference between many of them is how much you show that to the public in interviews.

I don't know much about Bolt at all... but it seemed like he was playing the part as much as believing it all that much. How much is his personality or just having fun... and how much is his simply reflecting modern (multi-media) behavior... who knows? But like Ali used to say... it ain't bragging if you can back it up. ;)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Just to set the record straight... Ali (as a Pro, not as a light heavyweight in the 60 Olympics) started the loudmouth "arrogant" schtick as a publicity stunt (courtesy of the the 'wrastler' Gorgeous George Wagner he'd seen). Ali was personally quite reserved, but saw the benefit (publicity & $) of adding a showy personality & act. At the time it was quite shocking... most athletes & public figures were pretty demure in the 50's & early 60's. My own boxing coach (ex-pro) didn't like Ali exactly for that behavior... it was seen as too boorish... you were "supposed" to act like a gentleman... thankful, not braggadocios. But what most didn't realize at the time... it was all an act. :)

Times have changed. Every (too many anyway) talentless nobodies on stoopid reality/talent show act like they're Gods gift to the entertainment world. Narcissism & arrogance has become normal.

Having said that, every great athlete DOES have an internal level of personal self-confidence that's equal to their God-given athletic talent. You HAVE to have that to work so long & hard to get yourself to the very top. So on a personal level, probably every winner at the Olympics, never mind every pro athlete out there, has a certain high level of internal "arrogance." The difference between many of them is how much you show that to the public in interviews.

I don't know much about Bolt at all... but it seemed like he was playing the part as much as believing it all that much. How much is his personality or just having fun... and how much is his simply reflecting modern (multi-media) behavior... who knows? But like Ali used to say... it ain't bragging if you can back it up. ;)

Good post..! One thing I truly, truly miss from Ali's heyday is the PRICELESS interplay between he and Howard Cosell. There has never been a more entertaining sportsman/media relationship, given the mammoth personalities involved--even if Ali was mostly putting it on for show as you point out.... (Cosell was about the only one who could make Ali's facade crack...or should I say crack up! :D)

Reaction Score
Good post..! One thing I truly, truly miss from Ali's heyday is the PRICELESS interplay between he and Howard Cosell. There has never been a more entertaining sportsman/media relationship, given the mammoth personalities involved--even if Ali was mostly putting it on for show as you point out.... (Cosell was about the only one who could make Ali's facade crack...or should I say crack up! :D)
Cosell's (first?) book had 3 chapters on Ali... "the rise," "the limbo," and "the fall" (if memory serves :rolleyes:). It's a great short history of his rise to fame (that few reach). He doesn't glamorize him. Cosell himself was quite brilliant (& complicated) and found himself in the sports business by accident.

What's sad today is that boxing, as a sport, is pretty much gonzo. In those days I could tell you who every champ was... middleweight, welterweight, etc. Today I couldn't name the Heavyweight champ. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I neglected to mention Manteo Mitchell's heroic effort in the 4x 400 semis running the last half mile with a broken leg.

Reaction Score

Cosell was always in Ali's corner; Never abandoned him when Ali was going through his trials and tribulations with the draft board. Was admant about how wrong it was for boxing to strip Ali of his titles and deny him a right to make a living without due process. That said, there was never a room big enough for Cosell, Ali, and their respective egos.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
How humble could you be? You are talking about literally the fastest man in the world. Must be an awesome feeling.

Actually, he is the fastest man the world has ever known...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How humble could you be? You are talking about literally the fastest man in the world. Must be an awesome feeling.
Well you know what they say......."No matter how good you are at something, there's always an Asian kid on YouTube that's better." ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well you know what they say......."No matter how good you are at something, there's always an Asian kid on YouTube that's better." ;)

Not in this case, he would have been scooped up and sent to London if that were so.

Reaction Score
Mo Farah and Galen Rupp in the 10,000. And then Mo Farah and Gembremeskel in the 5,000. Basically, Mo Farah. (And Alberto Salazar who refuses to believe that the west should surrender the middle distances to the east Africans.)

My favorite Olympian, Mo Farah. He was so much fun to watch.

And he's spawned a viral craze almost as fun as "McKayla is not impressed"

http://mofarahrunningawayfromthings.tumblr.com/

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My favorite Olympian, Mo Farah. He was so much fun to watch.

And he's spawned a viral craze almost as fun as "McKayla is not impressed"

http://mofarahrunningawayfromthings.tumblr.com/

My favorite thing about Mo.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads