OT - XL Center pre game | The Boneyard

OT - XL Center pre game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking for some advice from the locals. My wife & I will be making our first trip to CT in February to take in he uSF and Memphis games. Where is a good/fun place to grab a bite & beverage before the games at XL? Thanks and we can't wait for our 1st visit.

Reaction Score
For the USF game, Trumbull Kitchen has a great happy hour. Cheap, delicious food and great drinks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looking for some advice from the locals. My wife & I will be making our first trip to CT in February to take in he uSF and Memphis games. Where is a good/fun place to grab a bite & beverage before the games at XL? Thanks and we can't wait for our 1st visit.

I think there are several pretty good pre-game options. I like the more casual ones - Agave (tex-mex), City Steam (brew pub) and Vaughn's (Irish pub).

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Woodys is good for some good hotdogs and a few beers. Walking distance from XL

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'll second the suggestion to city steam for some good bar food and fun atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Hanks for the suggestions everybody. That is helpful. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
Third on the City Steam. Get there early or be prepared to wait at least 45-1 an hour for a table or until something at the bar opens up!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My recommendations:
  • Something "classier" (in order of cost): Vito's (Italian), Salute (Italian), Dish (Modern American) / Trumbull Kitchen (Modern American), Max Downtown (Modern American), Capitale Grille (High-end Steakhouse).
  • Solid bite to eat at a good price: Bin 228 (panini's and wine), Agave (Mexican), Front Street Bistro (American, part of movie theater), Feng (Japanese), Black Bear (sterile pub).
  • Really about the drinking: City Steam (large bar/comedy club, food is edible), MacKinnon's (Irish), Pour House (peanuts and dirt), Russian Lady (food is terrible), Tavern (large bar, edible food).
  • Willing to Venture to the West End: Half Door (great pub, acceptable food, great pub), Tacqueria (Mexican), Plan B (Burgers and Bourbon), Monte Alban (Mexican, don't judge by exterior), Absynnian (Ethiopian), Wood-n-Tap (Similar to Black Bear), the Spigot (dirthole with no windows, but you can bring your own food and play darts).

Reaction Score
My recommendations:

• [ ]Something "classier" (in order of cost): Vito's (Italian), Salute (Italian), Dish (Modern American) / Trumbull Kitchen (Modern American), Max Downtown (Modern American), Capitale Grille (High-end Steakhouse).
    [ ]Solid bite to eat at a good price: Bin 228 (panini's and wine), Agave (Mexican), Front Street Bistro (American, part of movie theater), Feng (Japanese), Black Bear (sterile pub).

[ ]Really about the drinking: City Steam (large bar/comedy club, food is edible), MacKinnon's (Irish), Pour House (peanuts and dirt), Russian Lady (food is terrible), Tavern (large bar, edible food).[ ]Willing to Venture to the West End: Half Door (great pub, acceptable food, great pub), Tacqueria (Mexican), Plan B (Burgers and Bourbon), Monte Alban (Mexican, don't judge by exterior), Absynnian (Ethiopian), Wood-n-Tap (Similar to Black Bear), the Spigot (dirthole with no windows, but you can bring your own food and play darts).

The food at the Russian Lady comes from the Tavern Downtown's kitchen next door, so the food is either terrible or edible a both. ;)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Th food at the Russian Lady comes from the Tavern Downtown's kitchen next door, so the food is either terrible or edible a both. ;)

Nice catch. I will be more specific...I had nachos at Russian Lady and it was the worst nachos I have ever had (outside of London, but I deserved that for eating nachos in London). Either way, I prolly wouldn't take a wifey to either for food.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The food at the Russian Lady comes from the Tavern Downtown's kitchen next door, so the food is either terrible or edible a both. ;)

It's the former. I like the Lagunitas at the Tavern but the food, eh. And the kitchen didn't handle the pre-game rush very well at all the time I was there.

Reaction Score
Add in the best barbeque downtown a few blocks from the XL center, Black Eyed Sally's. Doesn't have a good pre-game atmosphere in my opinion, but man I could go for some of their brisket right now.

Reaction Score
Ahhh. No love for The Federal.....

Deep - you know me and my buddies go WAY back with the Fed...but kelde1w was looking for a place for grub and a place he could take his wife. We've both taken spouses there in the past...but for food???

Still, the Fed is one of the best drinking bars in the area.

Reaction Score
I'm going throw out east coast dogs as well. Imaginative and delicious hot dogs plus bud specials on game days. Asylum and Ann Ucello street.

Not the nicest place but I'm a fan.

Some one mentioned Pour House...its closed and reopened as another cowgirl bar. Haven't been, and probably won't.

I'm also not a fan of tavern since they moved locations. The food has become an embarrassment. Used to be my favorite spot in town before moving across the street.

Reaction Score
Bezzz said:
New Italian joint at Pratt and Main, short walk to XL. Excellent wood fired pizzas and great pastas.
Sorella

+1. Excellent pizza.

Owned by same guys who own Dish.

Reaction Score
I'm going throw out east coast dogs as well. Imaginative and delicious hot dogs plus bud specials on game days. Asylum and Ann Ucello street.

Not the nicest place but I'm a fan.

Some one mentioned Pour House...its closed and reopened as another cowgirl bar. Haven't been, and probably won't.

I'm also not a fan of tavern since they moved locations. The food has become an embarrassment. Used to be my favorite spot in town before moving across the street.

Beerfan, Dove and I have been to East Coast Dog a few times before games...very good....awesome fries too...the bar area is called the Hartford Room, small, funky....awesome happy hour...$3 pints....including Stella, Goose Isand IPA...the owner is a real charater and has worked and managed many downtown spots over the years....Bar with no Name....the Fed...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Yeah, I can see how the owners would want their places all in a row but the old Tavern was a much better room.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I can see how the owners would want their places all in a row but the old Tavern was a much better room.

They also own the Rockinghorse Saloon on the other side of the Russian Lady.....pretty much the entire block to the parking lot on Asylum....I loved the old Tavern also....it got real small, real fast on game night though....great bar and windows onto the street though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom