OT: Writing Right. Articles and Abbreviations. | The Boneyard

OT: Writing Right. Articles and Abbreviations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
More off-season time on my hands, so let's discuss how to mix articles (like "a" or "an") with abbreviations or acronyms.

Specifically, when writing, which is correct: "An NC" or "A NC"? Or "An MVP award" or "A MVP award"?

In both instances, we would use the article "a" when eschewing the convenient abbreviation; e.g., "UConn won a national championship." So it seems logical to similarly write as we speak: e.g., "James won an MVP award in the NBA finals."

Try it, if only for consistency: "an RBI" or "a run batted in" or "an ND player" or "a Notre Dame player."

Is this important? Only to those who strive for precision in their prose. For others, the ignore button is there for you.

And if you disagree, fine -- just cite your style manual, ok?

[I can't wait for the season to begin.]

Reaction Score
It's all about the pronunciation of the abbreviation. An RBI, because the R is pronounced as a vowel (as in "ARE"). A UFO, because the U in Unidentified begins with-- and is pronounced as a consonant (oddly, the "sometimes Y" here is not pronounced as a vowel).

Remember, too, the British (and the occasional American professor) today still say things like "an historian," an archaic rule that referred to words with unaccented syllables beginning with the letter "h".' (Of course, the Brits also still say herb, with the pronunciation of HER before the B. . . but that's another story.)

I'm an English teacher, so I am often my own source (but will furnish sources upon requests-- or a bottle of rum-- whatever.).

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Actually, the title of the thread should be "writing correctly" :p
And I concur with Sargassoc - it is the pronunciation of the initial letter of the word or abbreviation that determines whether to use "a" or "an"...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Actually, the title of the thread should be "writing correctly" :p
And I concur with Sargassoc - it is the pronunciation of the initial letter of the word or abbreviation that determines whether to use "a" or "an"...

You are correct (right?) about the title, but I was focusing on how to properly write the combination of articles (e.g. "a" or "an") with abbreviations that seem to call for some sort of guidance to at least be consistent. Many of our posters use these articles helter-skelter.

Focusing on "American English," every style guide I know of (NY Times, AP, Chicago, etc.) calls for using the article "a" when the following noun has an "h" that is sounded (e.g., history, house, horse) but "an" when the "h" is silent (e.g., hour, honor, heir).

Some other day or by PM I will gladly discuss with Sargassoc the placement of quotation marks in relation to punctuation marks. Simply stated, the "American" rule is easier and more logical than the "English" rule.

Reaction Score
And I use the English rules for punctuation and quotation marks. To me, they make much more sense. (I began my schooling in London, so perhaps I can blame it on that?)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
And I use the English rules for punctuation and quotation marks. To me, they make much more sense. (I began my schooling in London, so perhaps I can blame it on that?)

Sargassoc, please check your inbox for a PM from me ("A little agreeable disagreement") in response to your comments.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't be usin' no rules. Rules be for losers. My rules is whatever I be wantin' to say.Communications is as communications does.

(as long as one does not mess up there, their and they're, that I will not put up with)

;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't be usin' no rules. Rules be for losers. My rules is whatever I be wantin' to say.Communications is as communications does.

(as long as one does not mess up there, their and they're, that I will not put up with)

;)

I carefully made no mention of rules in my OP. Effective communication comprises a combination of some rules, many guidelines and a huge dose of creativity. Whatever works.

It is widely (and reasonably reliably) reported that Winston Churchill once expressed his displeasure at someone wanting to rearrange a sentence of his that ended in a preposition. He purportedly wrote something to the effect that this nonsense was something "up with which I will not put."

So much for rules. Makes me think of something Will Rogers once said.

"Prohibition and communism are alike. Good ideas that just don't work."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My college instructor in public speaking who was an Associate CT AG back in the 70s said to our class that when you speak write as though you hear the power of your voice and ignore all the rules of grammar as stumbling blocks lest you lose your argument but when you must write write observing every rule of grammar because your argument will indeed depend on the placement of the smallest comma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom