OT--womens volleyball tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT--womens volleyball tournament

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The way you are all talking about Minnesota, it begs the question of how they even got in. Good strength of schedule of course, but if they didn't beat any of them...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The way you are all talking about Minnesota, it begs the question of how they even got in. Good strength of schedule of course, but if they didn't beat any of them...
Minnesota definitely deserved an at-large bid, but not a seed. They were squarely in that 33-48 range. They had a great win over Oregon and two more quality wins over Baylor and TCU. I was only half-joking about disqualifying them for losing to Rutgers...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well all my hand wringing over Minnesota was for nothing. Creighton swept them out of they way.

Hey USC took 1 set off of Pitt, so at least they have that going for them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A #5 seed over a #4 seed can't be called a big upset, but Arizona St. sweeping BYU in Provo does have to be considered at least mildly surprising.

@Plebe has to be happy, Houston did take a set off Stanford. 2-1 Card at this point.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow! Houston has forced a 5th set.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well Stanford stepped up their level of play and crushed them in the 5th set, but a very game effort from Houston.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Honestly my Coogs did great to force a set 5, which prompted the 200 Stanford fans in attendance at Maples to set down their iPhones for a few minutes to watch the match.

But after tying the deciding set at 5-5 we completely fell apart. Sigh.

Meanwhile I'm all in with Arizona State, which just swept BYU in Provo to reach the Sweet 16 for the first time since the Ice Age.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dayton fought back to win Set 3, but Washington St. closes it out in 4. And just like that we are from 64 down to 16.

I've barely watched any volleyball this season. Caught bits of a couple matches today. How did I forget what a fun, exciting sport it is to watch?

Reaction Score
NC State's volleyball program has long been an afterthought in the ACC. In 50 years, we have won the ACC one time (1989) and have only made the NCAAT 3 times. This year, we had one of our best teams ever...beating #2 Louisville at home and finishing 5th place in the ACC...and for the first time ever, NC State received votes for the top 25 in the national NVCA poll for one week.

However, we were passed over for an NCAAT bid...but 6th-place Miami got a bid to the national tournament. Miami did win the head-to-head meeting between the two teams..and NC State had an inexcusable home loss to Boston College in a match NC State led 2-0.

Our coach, Luka Slabe, seems to have our program headed in the right direction and I'm hoping next year is our year.
You'll need to replace McDaniel. Cabello is probably not the answer at setter.
Was really bummed that the Pack got left out, but at the end of the day, you just didn't schedule well enough. And it's wasn't just the BC loss. It was the VA Tech loss AND the Duke loss. When Duke lost their last match to NC, that trickled down.

Next year, with all the arms you have coming back, you ought to be in good shape. Still lagging behind Pitt, Louisville, FSU, and GT, but right in there behind them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The committee did an absolutely terrible job of splitting up conference foes, if that was supposed to be done. I know they make an attempt in basketball. Arkansas took out Kentucky in the 3rd Round. Wisconsin and Penn st. are playing right now in the 3rd Round. Pitt and Louisville are set to square off in a Regional Final. If Purdue beats Oregon they will face the Wisc./Penn St. winner for a Regional Final. Stanford and Arizona St. play later tonight in the 3rd Round. I mean seriously, they couldn't have done much worse if they tried.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The committee did an absolutely terrible job of splitting up conference foes, if that was supposed to be done. I know they make an attempt in basketball. Arkansas took out Kentucky in the 3rd Round. Wisconsin and Penn st. are playing right now in the 3rd Round. Pitt and Louisville are set to square off in a Regional Final. If Purdue beats Oregon they will face the Wisc./Penn St. winner for a Regional Final. Stanford and Arizona St. play later tonight in the 3rd Round. I mean seriously, they couldn't have done much worse if they tried.
Seeding in volleyball is done without regard to conference affiliation.

I believe the only restriction is no conference rivals can play in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Reaction Score
Can I say something safely in this space?………………………………………………………… I’m rooting for Tennessee to beat Texas
IMG_0623.gif

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Can I say something safely in this space?………………………………………………………… I’m rooting for Tennessee to beat Texas
View attachment 93813
I think rooting for Rocky Top in wvb is not at all the same as rooting for them in wbb, so you're probably okay. Just don't even think about rooting for Nebraska in vb.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Almost chalk at this point. We have two #1 vs. #2 seed Regional Finals. Another is #1 vs. #3. In the last Regional we could possibly get a #3 vs a #5 still, or a #1 vs. a #2, or a couple of other combos. There's no Cinderella in volleyball.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Rooting for pumpkin puke orange is the wrong choice in any sport.

In all seriousness, Tennessee had a fantastic season and this match could've gone either way.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Close, but no cigar for the Vols.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Horns and Vols took WAY too long (3+ hours?). So Stanford and Arizona St. are gonna be playing during the graveyard shift. Was supposed to start at 8:30, was close to 10:00 in actuality. Tied at 1-1 at 11 pm local time. Still a lot of volleyball left to be played.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This one finally wrapped up at 12:05. Arizona St. was tough but Stanford just had a little too much for them. ASU won Set 1 and then Stanford won the next 3. Set 4 was interesting. Card up 23-16 and they nearly blew it, got to 23-21 before they closed it out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Louisville jumped out 2-0 against Pitt, but a big 180. Pitt rolling in Set 4, looks like it's going 5. Pitt did the same thing to them last time they played and won a 5 setter.

Reaction Score
Stanford-Texas regional final should be interesting considering both have been playing floppy in the tournament so far. I was elated for Logan Eggleston last year but this season I'm rooting for Kendall Kipp to get hers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Pitt looked dead in the water, then just steamrolled Louisville for 3 straight sets. 3rd Final 4 in a row for Pitt. Fisher has built a great program there.

Pitt has the ACC's best program in Volleyball, but the absolute worst in WBB. Go ACC.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well...Pac 12 had a good run in volleyball, historically speaking. After having 2 teams duck out in the Regional Finals, that's the last we'll ever see of it. Bummer.

Nebraska vs. Pitt
Wisconsin vs. Texas

yawn

Gimme Pitt or else I really don't care who wins, as long as it isn't Nebraska...or Texas...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Conference realignment is certainly gonna make volleyball interesting (softball too).

Texas in the Sec battling KY and Florida.

Oregon headed to the B1G where they will play Wisconsin and Nebraska regularly.

And Stanford in the ACC battling PItt and Louisville.

Man—football is really mucking things up!!!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ugh. It's Nebraska vs. Texas for the title. Can't they both lose?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom