OT Women's NCAA Volleyball Semifinal Tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Women's NCAA Volleyball Semifinal Tonight

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just got back from Target Center...what a freaking match. Regardless of what happens in the finals, I got my money's worth tonight.

Illinois was a little bit too much of a 1 trick pony with Quade and it ultimately came back to bite them in the 4th/5th when she struggled finding the floor. Poulter was a joy to see in person, she contacts the ball at such a high point and her sets to the pin are absolute bullets. I think Carlini is the best collegiate setter I've ever seen, but in raw setting ability I think Poulter is better than Carlini. We couldn't see a replay of the overturned call, but even without it, but from another forum it sounded like the overturn was questionable at best. Tough way to go out, but honestly Illinois didn't deserve to win that 5th set with 3 consecutive services errors and passing breaking down.

For Nebraska, their setter struggled in stretches but made some big plays for them too. Foecke seemed to have a quiet night and then I saw she finished with 19 kills and hit .300....very impressive. Stivrins was great (when she was set), Schwartzenbach is still so raw offensively but had a couple of good swings. Sweet was effective for the first time in a while, and Sun was her normal streaky self but overall played quite well. Maloney was a stud per usual.

First match was a snoozer. Gray was absolutely stellar and BYU just looked completely overmatched. Setter Haddock also struggled locating sets and BYU was self destructive with hitting errors. Hentz looked great, so did Plummer, so did all of Stanford's players.

Looking at the final, it has all the makings of being an absolute classic. You have 2 of the very best programs ever: a big underdog in Nebraska who will be playing in front of a home crowd, and Stanford who is the favored juggernaut. I think the x-factor will be Lexi Sun for Nebraska...if she plays like she did tonight, Nebraska has a good shot. She needs to choose her shots well and come through when they're stuck with her/Hames/Schwartzenbach upfront.

For Stanford, I think Megan McClure is their x-factor. If she can't terminate against Nebraska's good defense, they'll become over-reliant on Plummer who doesn't excel taking a ton of swings in long matches.

Looking at skill/random breakdowns I'd say:
-Leftside hitting: Advantage Stanford
-RS hitting: Advantage Stanford
-Middle Hitting: Advantage Stanford
-Libero Play: Draw/Slight edge Stanford
-Blocking: Advantage Stanford
-Backrow attacking: Advantage Nebraska
-Coaching (in game strategy): Advantage Nebraska
-Backrow defense: Edge Nebraska
-Passing: Edge Nebraska
-Experience/late game situations: Draw

Can't wait for Sunday, should be a heck of a match.

Thanks for the analysis but don't forget, games on Saturday.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think that's an understatement. She was great early but I thought clearly ran out of gas. There was no #2 option. I think she had 82 swings for the match! That's ridiculous. Get her an ice bag for her shoulder.

The replay looked very inconclusive to me, but ultimately I don't think it would have mattered. Illinois was barely hanging on. I have a hard time believing they would've ever strung 2 points together to win the 5th.

edited--that's cool you got to attend, a Final 4 in any sport must be quite the spectacle

Watched the replay today...I thought her fingers clearly moved but I also wanted Nebraska to win so I'm a tad biased. Couldve been a different outcome if the call didnt get switched, but Illinois did not play well that 5th set agree with your statement. And yeah, great atmosphere. Saturday should be great and will have a big Nebraska crowd on hand. Stanford is going to be a very tall task for Nebraska, should be fun to see.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Great match between Nebraska and Illinois. The comeback was dramatic and exciting. Lexi Sun, who faltered early came back with a vengeance. She is as bright a star as her name implies. Of course, it is a great help to have Ms Foecke on her team!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Watched the replay today...I thought her fingers clearly moved

I just couldn't tell, it was fairly grainy. Not saying her fingers didn't move.

I clearly saw the sleeve of a Stanford player move when the ball brushed by her in a review during the first match. The announcers had to watch it 3 times before they noticed it. It jumped out at me immediately.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I started watching, then decided I needed a break after watching various games all day long. A 5 setter? Now I definitely can't watch, too nervous, DO NOT want Big Red Nation to get another Championship. I don't think there's enough room on the planet for their egos if that happens.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford wins a challenge to go up 14-10. Nebraska fights off 2 match points. Time out Stanford, Nebraska serving, 14-12. Would you like any more tension?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
15-12 Stanford! I think there was a foot fault on that back row attack though. Nebraska is challenging. Don't go away yet.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, in real time I thought for sure she was over the line, but the replay clearly showed she was behind it. National Championship #8 for Stanford, pulls them out of a tie w/ Penn St.

This is probably gonna be considered an all time classic Championship match. I probably shoulda watched the whole thing, but I wasn't feeling up to it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, what a match! Really enjoyed it. Now onto OSU!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I had it on record but the recording stopped before the third set ended. I should have recorded the program scheduled to follow it.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Great match between two good squads. Some really fine athletes playing volleyball. I think I heard them announce attendance at over 18,000. Wow!

Reaction Score
The Stanford - Nebraska final was a great match. Both teams had multiple players over 6’3” and Stanford had two at 6’6”. I was thinking maybe Geno should consider raiding the volleyball team but the tallest player on the current UConn squad is only 6’3”
I recall an interesting discussion on the BY awhile back mentioning that many fine young female athletes were now choosing volleyball over basketball. I doubted it at the time but after watching this match I believe it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The Stanford - Nebraska final was a great match. Both teams had multiple players over 6’3” and Stanford had two at 6’6”. I was thinking maybe Geno should consider raiding the volleyball team but the tallest player on the current UConn squad is only 6’3”
I recall an interesting discussion on the BY awhile back mentioning that many fine young female athletes were now choosing volleyball over basketball. I doubted it at the time but after watching this match I believe it.
Stanford has four players 6'4" or taller, Nebraska has five 6'3" or taller, Illinois five 6'3" or taller, Penn State two 6'3" or taller, Minnesota two 6'3" or taller, and Brigham Young six players 6'3" or taller. Those are just the teams that were in the quarter finals, semi-finals, and final. That is 24 players who chose volleyball over basketball. If the elite WBB teams had that many talented tall players, it would be something to see.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Very enjoyable volleyball. Classic for sure.

Watching Volleyball played at the highest level - which, in spite of everything, most of the match was - is thrilling beyond belief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom