Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going on right now.
Canada scored 2 goals in the last 3:30 minutes in the third to tie the game :(
Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
As the announcers said USA played not to lose in the last 5 minutes or so. Experience and momentum seems to favor Canada in OT. Go USA

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada's age, experience and Team USA complete breakdown in last 3.35 and in OT won the Gold for Canada. Heartbreaking Loss for Team USA players. It will take a long time to get over what should have been a Gold Medal.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
homerscream.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reminiscent of the US v Canada soccer match at the London Olympics, minus the controversial calls. Canada led for most of the match, the US tied it and won in OT.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It's too bad the Refs had to interject themselves into this game. In the NHL, in overtime, the Refs let the players play...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's too bad the Refs had to interject themselves into this game. In the NHL, in overtime, the Refs let the players play...
Well that was a pretty blatant take down on the break away. Hard to swallow your whistle on that one.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Well that was a pretty blatant take down on the break away. Hard to swallow your whistle on that one.
In all fairness, that should have resulted in a penalty shot.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Heart-wrenching loss for the US but kudos to Kevin Dineen. Good guy. And I never saw him lose his cool behind the bench.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Actually, I meant the first penalty on Canada shouldn't have been called, but then 5 seconds later a payback or even up penalty on US for slashing was ridiculous. If the teams were 4 v 4 or 4 v 3 USA, then the breakaway probably doesn't occur. OTOH, I'm glad the empty net goal didn't occur either, as the Linesman affected that play. On the breakaway, Knight actually caught her from behind, and I thought the Canadian took a dive. ( ala Duke)

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
What a terrible loss... (At least we get to redeem ourselves every year...) They must wait another four years for another shot at the gold medal...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, I meant the first penalty on Canada shouldn't have been called, but then 5 seconds later a payback or even up penalty on US for slashing was ridiculous. If the teams were 4 v 4 or 4 v 3 USA, then the breakaway probably doesn't occur. OTOH, I'm glad the empty net goal didn't occur either, as the Linesman affected that play.
Oh, ok, different things.

On the breakaway, Knight actually caught her from behind, and I thought the Canadian took a dive. ( ala Duke)
Didn't look that way to me. I agree with Pap on this one should have been a penalty shot.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
From today's AP article:

And then in overtime, the whistles started.
Neither team could understand the referees’ eagerness to call penalties in an Olympic overtime, which is already 4-on-4 hockey. Just six seconds after Canada’s Catherine Ward was sent off for a big hit near the net, Jocelyne Lamoureux was penalized for slashing on a single whack at Shannon Szabados’ pads with the puck underneath them.

“It stinks to go into an overtime in an up-and-down game and have so many penalties called,” Stack said. “It would have been great if we could have played 4-on-4 for 20 minutes or whatever.”

Moments later during 3-on-3 play, a bad U.S. line change gave a breakaway to Canada’s Hayley Wickenheiser. Hilary Knight swooped in from behind, and Wickenheiser tumbled to the ice.

The officials curiously called Knight for cross-checking instead of either awarding a penalty shot or allowing play to continue. Replays showed no significant contact between the two, except perhaps Knight’s right skate clipping Wickenheiser’s right skate from behind — which isn’t cross-checking.

“I didn’t touch her,” Knight said. “She fell. That was a bogus call. But it’s not about any one call.”

Poulin ended it 39 seconds later.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The officials curiously called Knight for cross-checking instead of either awarding a penalty shot or allowing play to continue. Replays showed no significant contact between the two, except perhaps Knight’s right skate clipping Wickenheiser’s right skate from behind — which isn’t cross-checking.
Yea that's what I saw. I figure at this level, they know exactly what they are doing.

Reaction Score
From today's AP article:

And then in overtime, the whistles started.
Neither team could understand the referees’ eagerness to call penalties in an Olympic overtime, which is already 4-on-4 hockey. Just six seconds after Canada’s Catherine Ward was sent off for a big hit near the net, Jocelyne Lamoureux was penalized for slashing on a single whack at Shannon Szabados’ pads with the puck underneath them.

“It stinks to go into an overtime in an up-and-down game and have so many penalties called,” Stack said. “It would have been great if we could have played 4-on-4 for 20 minutes or whatever.”

Moments later during 3-on-3 play, a bad U.S. line change gave a breakaway to Canada’s Hayley Wickenheiser. Hilary Knight swooped in from behind, and Wickenheiser tumbled to the ice.

“I didn’t touch her,” Knight said. “She fell. That was a bogus call. But it’s not about any one call.”

Poulin ended it 39 seconds later.

You must have seen replays from angles not available to me here in Virginia.
And you are accusing an all time Olympic great of taking a dive? On a breakaway?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Video Proof of NO CONTACT:

Yep, looked like she clipped her heel. Probably why the American fell too. hmmmm? Or did she take a dive also?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Yep, looked like she clipped her heel. Probably why the American fell too. hmmmm? Or did she take a dive also?
A far cry from your original statement: "Well that was a pretty blatant take down on the break away."

Incidental contact? A penalty shot would have been better. But as I said, if the two original penalties hadn't been called, this situation would not have arisen. BTW, I was not aware there was a line change problem. Also, in the NHL, the Refs swallow their whistles in overtime.

Incidentally, the Russians may have been robbed also, given their "winning" goal against the US was disallowed because the Net was dislodged...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom