OT - Wolfpack staying in Hartford | The Boneyard

OT - Wolfpack staying in Hartford

Reaction Score
That sucks
Who goes to these games, just kids and parents from youth hockey leagues?
Can we at least give UConn first dibs on dates and times?

The beer vendors I talk to at UConn games loathe the Wolfpack crowd - they wish every game was the UConn hockey fan base

Reaction Score
This is a good thing. The Pack has been drawing pretty well this season.

The Wolfpack continuing to call Hartford home helps keep the XL Center open by providing the place with another tenant. In that way it is good for UConn hockey.

Reaction Score
The AHL team has signed a deal to stay in Hartford for at least the next two seasons. Obviously this will affect the scheduling of other sporting events, including UConn men's hockey.
I feel bad for those who really thought the Pack were gone after this season. LOL

That sucks
Not really.

People who actually support Hartford hockey.

Nope.

The beer vendors I talk to at UConn games loathe the Wolfpack crowd - they wish every game was the UConn hockey fan base
The beer vendors "loathe" Pack fans just because they support real Hartford hockey and aren't delusional?

That is correct.

Reaction Score
That sucks

This is such a lie. They don't hate any event that makes them money. Also, the people that go to games pay off the $1.6 million fee in just 10 games. With UConn's average attendance and ticket prices that would take 23 games. UConn only plays 17. The Wolf Pack make more money for the XL Center than UConn Hockey does and they sell more tickets, beer, food, merchandise, and parking than UConn Hockey.

Reaction Score
This is such a lie. They don't hate any event that makes them money. Also, the people that go to games pay off the $1.6 million fee in just 10 games. With UConn's average attendance and ticket prices that would take 23 games. UConn only plays 17. The Wolf Pack make more money for the XL Center than UConn Hockey does and they sell more tickets, beer, food, merchandise, and parking than UConn Hockey.
Well it's not a lie, more than one beer vendor has told me thank God it's UConn not Wolfpack tonight.

But regardless - why is an alleged Whalers fan rooting for Rangers minor league team?

Reaction Score
Uh these Wolf Pack fans always hide behind the guise of supporting 'Hartford Hockey' when they only support it because they're Rangers fans and it's their affiliate. Once the Rangers leave they will be exposed. They won't stick around even though they're going to say it and then go on to list what they support blah blah, etc.

Hide behind "Hartford Hockey"? That's funny coming from someone who probably never went to a UConn hockey game until they joined Hockey East. I've been going to games since they were basically outside, and to the games at the XL Center no one went to before they joined Hockey East. I wasn't always a Rangers fan, but they became my team before the Whale died, and yes they died. I was going to UConn hockey games back then as well.

You guys should really get your own place to talk Wolf Pack, since it's literally the only reason you guys made accounts on a UConn messageboard..

Also, I used to have an account on here but it was attached to a Yahoo email address I can no longer access and had to create a new account.

Well it's not a lie, more than one beer vendor has told me thank God it's UConn not Wolfpack tonight.

But regardless - why is an alleged Whalers fan rooting for Rangers minor league team?

Well, none of the beer guys I know talk about the "difference" between UConn and Wolf Pack fans. Also, the Wolf Pack being affiliated with the Rangers had nothing to do with anything. There are other Whalers fans that support the Wolf Pack as well as fans of the Bruins, Devils, Penguins, Islanders, and other NHL teams. I went to Indians games when they were no longer the Whalers affiliate, it's minor league hockey and the affiliate really has nothing to do with it unless you're a child that can't tell the difference between the two. That's like sayssa people shouldn't go to Yard Goats games if they're not Rockies fans, it that people shouldn't have gone to Rock Cats games unless they were Twins fans.

Reaction Score
You guys should really get your own place to talk Wolf Pack, since it's literally the only reason you guys made accounts on a UConn messageboard..
What do you think the subject of this thread is about?
Uh these Wolf Pack fans always hide behind the guise of supporting 'Hartford Hockey' when they only support it because they're Rangers fans and it's their affiliate. Once the Rangers leave they will be exposed. They won't stick around even though they're going to say it and then go on to list what they support blah blah, etc.
Yeah coming from a guy who didn't give a crap about UConn hockey until they moved their games to the XLC. Like it or not, the Wolf Pack are Hartford hockey and have been for 21 years and counting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hate to burst your bubble but there are Whalers fans who do support the Pack.

Reaction Score
I've been to Wolf Pack games, and couldn't care less about the NHL.

Also been to a bunch of Yard Goats games, does that make me a Colorado Rockies fan?

Another day, another dumb argument on the Boneyard. The Wolf Pack bring people and money to Hartford, and UConn's plan is to build a bigger/better arena, not move to the XL permanently. Whether they are Rangers fans, Bruins fans, Red Sox fans, or Yankees fans, people going downtown to the arenas and supporting the teams and spending money is a good thing. There is absolutely no downside to this news.

Reaction Score
I've been to Wolf Pack games, and couldn't care less about the NHL.

Also been to a bunch of Yard Goats games, does that make me a Colorado Rockies fan?

Another day, another dumb argument on the Boneyard. The Wolf Pack bring people and money to Hartford, and UConn's plan is to build a bigger/better arena, not move to the XL permanently. Whether they are Rangers fans, Bruins fans, Red Sox fans, or Yankees fans, people going downtown to the arenas and supporting the teams and spending money is a good thing. There is absolutely no downside to this news.

Exactly. I don't know where this idea came from that you had to be a fan of a minor league team you had to be a fan of their affiliate. I know people that don't give a crap about the Panthers that go to Thunderbirds games, and I know people that don't care about the Mets that go to Buffalo Bisons games. It's like they're telling people that they can't support UConn unless they're from Connecticut or went to UConn. If that was the case then UConn would have to kick out a lot of their fans from games.

Reaction Score
Nope.

Another day, another dumb argument on the Boneyard.
What else is new? This is what happens when some disgruntled Whalers fan tries to derail the conversation.

The Wolf Pack bring people and money to Hartford
Bringing in people and money since 1997.

people going downtown to the arenas and supporting the teams and spending money is a good thing.
You'd have to be insane to argue otherwise.

There is absolutely no downside to this news.
Indeed!:)

Reaction Score
I don't know where this idea came from that you had to be a fan of a minor league team you had to be a fan of their affiliate.
I'm not sure either but some of the Boneyard's resident Whalers fans can probably answer that for you. You want to take a whack at this one "ThePuppyPound"? LOL

Reaction Score

The Wolf pack average attendance is 23rd in the AHL and has been trending down over the past 4 seasons. As UConn hockey trends upward I would imagine it would further impact the Wolf Pack attendance now that hockey fans in the state have an alternative that is their own again rather than having to take in some ugly stepchild from NYC.

AHL 2017-18 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Sorry if I offend the Wolf pack fans but back when the Whale was here and B's and Rangers fans would come in the building they were complete asshats. The fact we replaced our own NHL team with their minor league team was a kick in the nuts. There are a plenty of other sports where I never felt the need to support a team just because they played their home games in Hartford. Now with UConn having a quality team and a great recruiting class coming in, its time to start letting UConn call the shots on the scheduling.

Reaction Score
Now with UConn having a quality team and a great recruiting class coming in, its time to start letting UConn call the shots on the scheduling.
UConn would have to manage and/or own the building for that to happen.

Reaction Score
The Wolf pack average attendance is 23rd in the AHL and has been trending down over the past 4 seasons. As UConn hockey trends upward I would imagine it would further impact the Wolf Pack attendance now that hockey fans in the state have an alternative that is their own again rather than having to take in some ugly stepchild from NYC.

I love UConn but their attendance hasn't gone up at all. Their first season was amazing and I thought things were turning around for Hartford Hockey, but it didn't last long at all. They sold out a few a games over the first few years but they haven't did sellout one game this season. The only games that had over about 6,000 people were the ones that tickets were only $10. It's not a good sign when attendance drops by almost 1,400 people per game in just four years.

2014-15 - 5,396
2015-16 - 5,129
2016-17 - 4,379
2017-18 - 4,066

Now with UConn having a quality team and a great recruiting class coming in, its time to start letting UConn call the shots on the scheduling.

That's not going to happen just for the fact that UConn hockey only plays 17 games and their not the primary tenant of the XL Center. Also, UConn plays a lot of weekday games , so that means there's less chance that would need to have first pick. The only dates UConn can request control of are the dates of their potential Hockey East Tournament games. Other than that the Wolf Pack will always have first choice of dates at the XL Center.

Reaction Score
There are plans in the works for a new ice hockey facility on the UConn campus. If and when that arena comes to fruition, it will help quite a bit in getting UConn more favorable dates and times for the hockey games, whether the games are played in Hartford or in Storrs. Until that time, UConn ice hockey will be one of several teams looking to fill dates at the XL Center, and not always getting their preference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't wait for that to happen. Going to games in Hartford is nice, but I don't go to school there and it must be really annoying to have to get to Hartford for games all the time. I've been to a few games this year when the student section was empty and that's just awful in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom