OT: Wiring a new home for the future | The Boneyard

OT: Wiring a new home for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Does anyone have experience with setting up the wiring for a new home? We're pretty close to signing a P&S on a new construction, and I want to be sure that when we wire the house we account for everything we need to while the walls are open. My realtor is great but this is beyond her expertise. I work in IT, but not the network side. I'm researching online but would like to see what others might have done. After the framework is up, we will be doing a walkthrough with the electrician.
Background on house:
  • The house is similar to a split - has 3 levels on one side, 2 on the other (one being the garage).
  • We have an in-law, 1 TV for us and 1 TV for parents, that will be it.
  • I don't know if I want to set up camera/security but I want the backbone to be in place if needed.
  • We don't use any streaming service right now, but I want to be prepared for the day where we could be streaming from 5 different locations.
  • We will use VoIP - ooma
  • I know I want all bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen, garage all hard wired.
Questions:
  • Are you using cat 5e or cat 6 - or still using cat 5? I'm thinking cat 5e is approp.
  • Are you limiting coax cabling just to the locations where you absolutely know you're putting TV's? Not sure how long coax will be around....
  • I'm guessing that people have a switch or two located with their modem/router. Is that the case?
  • what else do you have on cat5 that I'm missing?
  • How many ports do you have in each room?
  • Did anyone set up USB ports on their outlets?
  • I'm thinking of installing at least one wireless access point on the ceiling on the third floor. Not sure if I should also one on the second floor. I was looking at the ubiquiti unifi AP line - pretty powerful but might be a little bit of a headache to set up for a novice like myself.
Any thoughts appreciated - thanks

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone have experience with setting up the wiring for a new home? We're pretty close to signing a P&S on a new construction, and I want to be sure that when we wire the house we account for everything we need to while the walls are open. My realtor is great but this is beyond her expertise. I work in IT, but not the network side. I'm researching online but would like to see what others might have done. After the framework is up, we will be doing a walkthrough with the electrician.
Background on house:
  • The house is similar to a split - has 3 levels on one side, 2 on the other (one being the garage).
  • We have an in-law, 1 TV for us and 1 TV for parents, that will be it.
  • I don't know if I want to set up camera/security but I want the backbone to be in place if needed.
  • We don't use any streaming service right now, but I want to be prepared for the day where we could be streaming from 5 different locations.
  • We will use VoIP - ooma
  • I know I want all bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen, garage all hard wired.
Questions:
  • Are you using cat 5e or cat 6 - or still using cat 5? I'm thinking cat 5e is approp.
  • Are you limiting coax cabling just to the locations where you absolutely know you're putting TV's? Not sure how long coax will be around....
  • I'm guessing that people have a switch or two located with their modem/router. Is that the case?
  • what else do you have on cat5 that I'm missing?
  • How many ports do you have in each room?
  • Did anyone set up USB ports on their outlets?
  • I'm thinking of installing at least one wireless access point on the ceiling on the third floor. Not sure if I should also one on the second floor. I was looking at the ubiquiti unifi AP line - pretty powerful but might be a little bit of a headache to set up for a novice like myself.
Any thoughts appreciated - thanks
Future proof with cat 6. Make sure cable is RG6 or better. I only have a few rooms hardwired. Existing house. Used cat 5, about 10 years ago. Have 100mb switch.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not an expert by any means, just a techie/IT geek...

I'd run Cat6 everywhere, to start (make sure rated for in wall use)... And consider a power over Ethernet capable switch in the basement. There are some power over Ethernet options for security cameras which may come in handy.

Coax... If you'll have a cable box, you'll need it close to your TVs.

I'm considering some replacing some outlets (bedroom and kitchen, primarily) with ones that have 2A USB power.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not an expert by any means, just a techie/IT geek...

I'd run Cat6 everywhere, to start (make sure rated for in wall use)... And consider a power over Ethernet capable switch in the basement. There are some power over Ethernet options for security cameras which may come in handy.

Coax... If you'll have a cable box, you'll need it close to your TVs.

I'm considering some replacing some outlets (bedroom and kitchen, primarily) with ones that have 2A USB power.
That about covers it. If you are going to bother running anything at this point run Cat 6.

I'm of the mind that running wire at all these days can even be debated. Wireless has come a long way and everything is wireless now.

If anything, run a couple cat 6 to portions of the house you would put hot spot extenders for full wireless coverage

Poe switch a must

I ran wire into houses in the early part of this century. I'm certified.Was pretty busy for 5-6 years. Now it's almost obsolete.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
When in doubt, put it in anyways. Once sheetrock is up, it is a superpain. So, anywhere you think you will use it, install it. Now, is the cheapest time to get it installed. Same with electric. Don't save here.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Technology is decades ahead of the consumer market. The majority still use Cat5e but I recommend Cat6 to cover you for the next 20 years. The cable manufacturers are developing Cat8 but there probably won't be much market for ten years. Look into a company called Crestron that focuses on home applications. They may have Cat7 offerings but definitely Cat6 or 6a

Reaction Score
Had home rewired last year to 200 amps . 200 amp is code now I think but be sure you get a panel with more switches than you need. As far as the tech stuff, I have no idea.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Great feedback, thanks. Sounds like I'll probably go with a gig POE switch. Cat6 or cat6a depending on the cost difference. I might just wire in an AP on each floor, we'll see.

Any thoughts on running multiple cables versus a switch/splitter for the room outlets? There are a few scenarios where I know I want to run multiple cables to ensure max throughput but some that I'm not sure it's really needed. I don't want to complicate this too much - but I am sure I need at least 12 ports on the switch so far.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
A lot of the same that has been offered: Put in Cat6 - the cost of the wire is way less than the cost of installation. If the walls are open, make at least one run to every room including bathrooms and two or three to Family Rooms, Living Rooms, Kitchens and Bedrooms. And then run dead ends to key places that may need a camera at some point. If you don't have a POE switch, you can always use POE injectors for lines that need power. Even if you don't intend to install cameras, the next homeowner might and that will increase the value a lot.

One thing I would seriously suggest you look into is whole house automation. There are a lot of competing technologies, but being able to turn on outside lights from a handheld remote anywhere in the house is a plus, or being able to automatically turn on lights at sunset or off at sundown, or have scenes programmed will change your life.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My house is older, but one of the things we appreciated was that several of the rooms were wired for audio. Internally that's probably not an issue these days with wireless speakers, but outside, the ones on the patio... nice to have hard wired speakers and music out there.

Don't forget any spotlights in the backyard you might want on the second story.

Reaction Score
A lot of the same that has been offered: Put in Cat6 - the cost of the wire is way less than the cost of installation. If the walls are open, make at least one run to every room including bathrooms and two or three to Family Rooms, Living Rooms, Kitchens and Bedrooms. And then run dead ends to key places that may need a camera at some point. If you don't have a POE switch, you can always use POE injectors for lines that need power. Even if you don't intend to install cameras, the next homeowner might and that will increase the value a lot.

One thing I would seriously suggest you look into is whole house automation.
There are a lot of competing technologies, but being able to turn on outside lights from a handheld remote anywhere in the house is a plus, or being able to automatically turn on lights at sunset or off at sundown, or have scenes programmed will change your life.

I would agree with this big time, it's really cool if nothing else. I would also agree with those that are saying to run the cat 6. I think 6A is probably more of an expense than needed unless you are dealing with severe distance, etc. I would also suggest running cat 6 or coax to the perimeter of the house so that you can put cameras in later on down the line. You also may want to run a coax to somewhere outside the house in case you ever want to hook up an HD antenna for cord cutting purposes.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're interested in getting a home theatre set up but running the speaker cable through the wall would be ideal. Especially for the rear surround speakers.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not sure if you're interested in getting a home theatre set up but running the speaker cable through the wall would be ideal. Especially for the rear surround speakers.
This! Also if you are wall mounting your TV, may want an HDMI cable run in-wall as well - to whatever corner you envision your cable box or receiver living.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My father upgraded his house and added a charging station for an electric car to the garage even though he has no plans to buy one. Thought that was nice of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom