OT Windows 10 - Should You Upgrade? | The Boneyard

OT Windows 10 - Should You Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Has any1 installed Windows 10 and is it an improvement over Windows 7? I'm getting reminders from Microsoft to install Windows 10 for free.

Would appreciate any feed back.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Has any1 installed Windows 10 and is it an improvement over Windows 7? I'm getting reminders from Microsoft to install Windows 10 for free.

I installed 10 but not over Windows 7 but rather over windows 8. From that perspective it seems to be an improvement as it makes the whole windows 8 tile thing much less intrusive. If you are starting from windows 7 and never used Windows 8 then it make be a little more of a change with a softer version of the active tiles being added to your desktop suite.

As far as bugs I haven't found any so far (several days of operation) but some small unintended changes were made here and there but none that were not easily fixable.

Reaction Score
I updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 day before yesterday. Since it was free I thought I ought to take advantage of the newer version. Everything is ok so far.

Reaction Score
Always good to upgrade to the newest version of the operating system - unless there are known problems that affect you. Companies stop supporting the older versions of the operating system.

I upgraded to Windows 10 recently and have not had issues. No opinion yet if this is better than the Windows 7 I was using.

Reaction Score
I updated my HP Pavilion from Windows 8.1 to 10 week ago.
1. Much easy to use
2. Start-up time is longer
3. When I put my laptop in sleep mood, I cannot restart again. I have to shut down then restart.
Not sure this is Window 10 issue or HP issue. But I do not have this problem with Window 8.1

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Arrrghhh! More details later. Question: when you upgraded where did you find your favorites? MS explains everything like it was first written in Chinese, then translated to Swahili, then Russian, and the English. A franchise turned over to idiots! And, no, Windows 10 sucks!!!!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I upgraded to 10 from 7 a week ago. It took about an hour to download and install 10. I liked 7, and it took a few days to adjust to some of the differences in 10. From my viewpoint 10 isn't better, but it isn't worse either. However, there may be improvements that aren't obvious to me. I would recommend upgrading simply because, all other factors being equal, I think it's best to have the latest version.

Reaction Score
The new version of Windows supposedly grants Microsoft access to all of your emails and files. They claim it's for improvement of client services. Call me suspicious. At best because the new OS is free it's for gathering data to sell to marketers, and at worst an easy backdoor for government spying and malware. Plus they can push software to your computer without your approval/control which represents another virus and malware vector. I've also heard that some drivers don't automatically install which may cause temporary loss of connectivity to important things like your network. As with anything new I'd wait until at least the .1 update unless you truly have a desire to be bleeding edge. I'm quite happy with the status quo and my Windows 7, plus I had to practically be held at knife point to get off XP, so I'm definitely not a technological eager beaver.

Reaction Score
I updated my HP Pavilion from Windows 8.1 to 10 week ago.
1. Much easy to use
2. Start-up time is longer
3. When I put my laptop in sleep mood, I cannot restart again. I have to shut down then restart.
Not sure this is Window 10 issue or HP issue. But I do not have this problem with Window 8.1
For #1: Much easier to use? I have the tiles for 8.1, and click on the Desktop and everything looks just like regular Windows (use 7 at work). I have no issues with 8.1 based on my uses. I have reserved my "free" upgrade, but am increasingly leery of installing it.
For #3: I have a Lenovo desktop and a Dell desktop, and the Lenovo goes to sleep, requiring me to hit the power button and it immediately springs to life. The Dell acts "normally" as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
I upgraded to Windows 10 recently and have not had issues. No opinion yet if this is better than the Windows 7 I was using.
Congratulations on skipping Windows 8 entirely - averting that stress & BS no doubt has added 2 years to your life. Windows 8 was the last straw (after iPhone & iPad) in my permanently switching to Mac.

Reaction Score
For #1: Much easier to use? I have the tiles for 8.1, and click on the Desktop and everything looks just like regular Windows (use 7 at work). I have no issues with 8.1 based on my uses. I have reserved my "free" upgrade, but am increasingly leery of installing it.
For #3: I have a Lenovo desktop and a Dell desktop, and the Lenovo goes to sleep, requiring me to hit the power button and it immediately springs to life. The Dell acts "normally" as far as I'm concerned.
Win 10 has a window start button in the bottom left which will led you to almost everything while Win 8 you need to hit the desktop then goes to from there.

I know lots of HP laptops have "sleep problem" hence I am not sure it is HP's problem or not.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...the-sleep-mode-Urgent-help/td-p/815475/page/3

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

I asked this question a while ago on the "Off Topic" board... link to other comments

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The new version of Windows supposedly grants Microsoft access to all of your emails and files. They claim it's for improvement of client services. Call me suspicious. At best because the new OS is free it's for gathering data to sell to marketers, and at worst an easy backdoor for government spying and malware. Plus they can push software to your computer without your approval/control which represents another virus and malware vector. I've also heard that some drivers don't automatically install which may cause temporary loss of connectivity to important things like your network. As with anything new I'd wait until at least the .1 update unless you truly have a desire to be bleeding edge. I'm quite happy with the status quo and my Windows 7, plus I had to practically be held at knife point to get off XP, so I'm definitely not a technological eager beaver.
images

Reaction Score
Congratulations on skipping Windows 8 entirely - averting that stress & BS no doubt has added 2 years to your life. Windows 8 was the last straw (after iPhone & iPad) in my permanently switching to Mac.

I do a lot of my work on the Mac too. I wish I could switch over completely. Some software vendors, e.g., Intuit, still have some of their better software running on Windows and the port to equivalent software on the Mac is not seamless.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I do a lot of my work on the Mac too. I wish I could switch over completely. Some software vendors, e.g., Intuit, still have some of their better software running on Windows and the port to equivalent software on the Mac is not seamless.

There are several ways to run Windows on a Mac. That enables you to get the Mac benefits for most of your work and use windows with those few software makers that require it. Here is some good info:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1164817/the_best_way_to_run_windows_on_your_mac.html

Reaction Score
Arrrghhh! More details later. Question: when you upgraded where did you find your favorites? MS explains everything like it was first written in Chinese, then translated to Swahili, then Russian, and the English. A franchise turned over to idiots! And, no, Windows 10 sucks!!!!
When you open EDGE go to setting and import your favorites from the bowser you used before including internet explorer. You can also find internet explorer from the start menu under windows accessories. All of your favorites will still be there.

Reaction Score

Personally, I am waiting a month or two for Microsoft to get all the feedbacks and fixes the bugs. Not negative on Win 10 all software even billion dollar development systems have bugs for years after. You have to input the right combination of key strokes with the right applications for some bugs to show up. I don't expect ALL applications to operate smoothly initially with Win 10. I'm holding with Win 7 and all my old Applications.

Reaction Score
Beware of anything FREE. Eventually, you'll pay in one way or another. I'll stay with Windows 7.

Reaction Score
What happened to poor Windows 9?
Went the way of CPM, DOS, Win 3, Windows 2000, into the unhappy hunting grounds for us idiots who keep buying Microsoft.
I like Unbunto but they have poor printer support. You get free versions of Word, Excel, etc (their version) that transparently work with the Microsoft versions. I still use MS for all typical application other than Excel and Word. Their browser works well.

Reaction Score
Beware of anything FREE. Eventually, you'll pay in one way or another. I'll stay with Windows 7.
Cynical---you sound like me. You get what you pay for---if they give you something for free --ask what's in it for them??? Microsoft is now RENTING OFFICE by the year--is that the catch??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When you open EDGE go to setting and import your favorites from the bowser you used before including internet explorer. You can also find internet explorer from the start menu under windows accessories. All of your favorites will still be there.

Thanks Pete. I did stumble into my old explorer and favs therein under windows accessories, but for the life of me I can't find the import feature you are referencing under settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom