OT: Wimbledon... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The match of the day Friday pits #11 our own Sam Querry vs the Frenchman Gael Monfils. Monfils is a joy to watch. Though unseeded,
he's a super athlete, sort of a male Gabby.

The order of play:
wimbledon - Google Search

And then we have last year's champ Garbine and #3 here--KAPUT
And all those American females I wrote above, having earned round 2...Well, 5 were on display today; Five ineligible for round 3.

Anyway Madison and the Sisters pick up their racquets tomorrow.

wimbledon - Google Search

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, and #3Marin Cilic had a 2 set lead and lost to an 80th ranked player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Keys getting demolished. 7-5 , 3-0 (down 2 breaks). Will she ever realize her potential?

Edit. After being down 4-0 in second set, is back on serve and leads 6-4 in second set. Every prediction / observation I make seems to backfire. I will be happy if I am wrong and Keys pulls it out.

Edit 2, Keys takes second set on great return of serve. Opponent looks lost entering deciding set.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Keys getting demolished. 7-5 , 3-0 (down 2 breaks). Will she ever realize her potential?

Edit. After being down 4-0 in second set, is back on serve and leads 6-4 in second set. Every prediction / observation I make seems to backfire. I will be happy if I am wrong and Keys pulls it out.

Edit 2, Keys takes second set on great return of serve. Opponent looks lost entering deciding set.

Yeah, but it didn't happen. Toward the end of set 3, she just couldn't find the court. Madison out.
And Taylor Fritz gave Americans hope, as he took a 2 sets to 1 lead over #4 Zeverev, but couldn't close. Taylor is gone.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Keys is so maddening. On talent alone, she should be in the top 3 in the world. On grass, she never should have her serve broken. Back to world cup.

Reaction Score
Watching the Williams sisters struggle with their opponents more than they should. Only the third round.

Looking forward to Roger's match.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
When Halep beat our Sloane at the French, a few of us tipped our bonnets that Simona finally broke through. Now as I watched the Taiwanese lady squeak by Simona today, I was happy for her and her angles and her joyful face.

Of the top 10 seeds, only Karolina Pliskova remains. Such devastation.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When Halep beat our Sloane at the French, a few of us tipped our bonnets that Simona finally broke through. Now as I watched the Taiwanese lady squeak by Simona today, I was happy for her and her angles and her joyful face.

Of the top 10 seeds, only Karolina Pliskova remains. Such devastation.

Perhaps I am in the minority but I find the parity in the women's game (without Serena at her level) to be very annoying. It is a crap shoot. For me, true competitors who play up to their skill and potential are supposed to be consistent and take care of weaker opponents the vast majority of times. That is why I truly appreciate the Federer's and the Nadal's of the men's side (as well as UConn and Golden State)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
My favorites are Camila Giorgi and RAFA.

The Italiana Camila still flowers, making her first Major quarter. Not bad for the 52 ranked player.
Hope springs eternal in Hope.

Meanwhile the Dutchwoman Kiki Mertens, who knocked out #9 Venus at 8-6, continued her mastery of the top seeds, dismissing #7 Carolina Pliskova, the last of the top 10 seeds.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Womens Quarters today.

So many service breaks on the women's side. I can't stand it. Better appreciation for Serena and her service ability.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Semifinal one Ostapenko - Kerber should be fun

Giorgi blowing Serena off the court with pace. Takes set 1 6-3. Of course, Giorgi has issues with consistency .

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For all the hoopla about the top 10 seeds falling (which is true), Kerber is a former #1 and has won 2 grand slams, and Ostapenko has 1 grand slam. I get that there are "upsets", but Williams, Kerber and Ostapenko have all won grand slams and are in the final 4, joined by 13 seed Goerges. It's anyone's tourney at this point, really. I don't see a clear cut favorite (If Serena had not had her baby and was 100%, she'd be the obvious favorite)...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For all the hoopla about the top 10 seeds falling (which is true), Kerber is a former #1 and has won 2 grand slams, and Ostapenko has 1 grand slam. I get that there are "upsets", but Williams, Kerber and Ostapenko have all won grand slams and are in the final 4, joined by 13 seed Goerges. It's anyone's tourney at this point, really. I don't see a clear cut favorite (If Serena had not had her baby and was 100%, she'd be the obvious favorite)...

I think Serena has a very strong advantage in the next game. Goerges has a good service game but does not scare on the ground strokes or return of serve, She has never been in a Semifinal (or a QF until now) of any Grand slam so I cant see the moment not getting to her. On the other side, its a toss up imho but I think Kerber would be the toughest final opponent. Ostapenko still seems too volatile to beat Serena and her service game today would be killed by Serena.

upload_2018-7-10_12-2-14.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As a casual fan, it is very difficult to follow women's tennis because besides Serena there is little consistency among the top players. It's probably fun for the die-hard fans that anything can seemingly happen in any given tournament but as a filthy casual I prefer the men because there is a more consistent cast of characters.

In golf, it's the opposite. I'd rather watch a random LPGA tournament than a PGA tournament because there are usually familiar faces at the top of the leaderboard.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As a casual fan, it is very difficult to follow women's tennis because besides Serena there is little consistency among the top players. It's probably fun for the die-hard fans that anything can seemingly happen in any given tournament but as a filthy casual I prefer the men because there is a more consistent cast of characters.

In golf, it's the opposite. I'd rather watch a random LPGA tournament than a PGA tournament because there are usually familiar faces at the top of the leaderboard.

I agree with the sentiment and mentioned a version of it a little earlier in the thread.

Perhaps I am in the minority but I find the parity in the women's game (without Serena at her level) to be very annoying. It is a crap shoot. For me, true competitors who play up to their skill and potential are supposed to be consistent and take care of weaker opponents the vast majority of times. That is why I truly appreciate the Federer's and the Nadal's of the men's side (as well as UConn and Golden State)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I love watching Jelena's go-for-broke style. When it works, as it did in her French win that left Simona feeling like a "spectator", it is a an event of beauty.
But it requires a healthy winners/unforced errors ratio, and that didn't happen today. The match stayed equal at 3-3, then disaster struck. Kerber is returned to top shape, moving well, being speedy, anticipating. One of the best in the game at protecting her turf.
So with that said, it appeared that frustration entered Jelena's composure, winding up with about 8x the unforced errors than had Kerber.
Should Serena win later this am, I think the final will not be one-sided.

Reaction Score
Hope you are right about the final.

You have to love Serena; Her dominance of the game, even after a year off, even at age 36, even with all the seeding hoopla. Longevity, consistency, matches won, major titles, Olympic titles, the indisputably greatest serve, versatility as demonstrated by her doubles prowess. Who is willing to argue against her?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Isner loses set 1 tie breaker 8-6. Just tune in for the tie breakers.

Update 1

Isner wins set 2 tie breaker 7-5. Will this go to a 5th set (splitting 3rd and 4th set tie breakers of course) and a ridiculous 70-68 type 5th set.

Would need to move the 2nd semifinal to another court.

No reason not to have a 5th set tie breaker imho.

Update 2 Dueling breaks of serve in Set 3. First Anderson Breaks and Isner Breaks back immediately. Interesting.

Update 3 As predicted, marathon 5th set coming. Isner's ground strokes just are not good enough. With his serve so powerful, shouldn't every minute of practice go into improving that part of his game. :confused:

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Actually, I'm in favor of banning Isner from the sport. Get him up against reasonably good players and he constantly Mahuts us. Almost never broken, but not good enough to break others. As I write, it is 17-18, on serve.
More seriously, if there ever were a reason for the other 3 Slams to follow the lead of the US Open and have a final set tiebreaker, John would be the reason.
Rafa-Novak will not finish tonight.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the non-tie break 5th set is an awful system. This match will continue with no breaks until one of them runs out of stamina.

Reaction Score
While I agree Isner does not gave a great overall game he certainly has improved his ground game enough to get to a slam semi. I am all for a tie beaker in the 5th at majors.

I have never understood why they don’t start the other semi on another court when it is apparent that it will not finish on the scheduled court. (Actually I do Under$tand)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fantastic Interview by Anderson after winning 26-24 in 5th set. Class act. Also, in no uncertain terms, he wants them to get rid of the format allowing these 5th set travesties.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
While I agree Isner does not gave a great overall game he certainly has improved his ground game enough to get to a slam semi. I am all for a tie beaker in the 5th at majors.

I have never understood why they don’t start the other semi on another court when it is apparent that it will not finish on the scheduled court. (Actually I do Under$tand)

Phooey on his improved ground game. All one need do is follow the second semi to see what beautiful tennis is, and John can't play it. Still congrats to him for his 1st Major semi.

Reaction Score
Not many can play the quality of tennis being played in the second semi. I hope there is some young talent arriving to keep tennis at this level. Tennis won’t be the same when these two and Federer retire.

I do want to change my stance on tie breakers. I think tie breakers are the answer for all rounds but the final. I am all for playing the fifth set of a final in a major until someone gives. Up to the final playing without the tie breaker has the potential of giving the next opponent of the winner too great of an advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom