OT Why isn't Texas ranked? | The Boneyard

OT Why isn't Texas ranked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sure they have six losses, but FOUR to ranked teams.

They have two wins over ranked teams, which is exactly the same as Tennessee.

They aren't even getting votes.

To be fair one of their wins was two days ago, so maybe the voters today will wake up.

Reaction Score
C'mon Phil - surely you've encountered hysteresis in voting before. In my opinion, it's usually justified. I don't think the voters' response should be hair-trigger.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simple answer: Voters vote emotions and popularity.
Sagarin "predictor" (the longstanding math only point spread) has Texas at 13.

Speaking of Sagarin - predictor had the point differential for yesterday's game at 28. Again, comforting and remarkable. I'd love to know the standard deviation of "errors" (what is predicted spread vs. what actually then happens)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
C'mon Phil - surely you've encountered hysteresis in voting before. In my opinion, it's usually justified. I don't think the voters' response should be hair-trigger.

I'm more apt to encounter it in my tires.

However, while I was pulling for West Virginia, the win by Texas wasn't a flukey upset, it was predicted by Sagarin, so it isn't like they came out of nowhere to eanr a quality win.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Texas has a talented team. I believe that the win over WVU was also without Imani-Stafford.

I would not be surprised to see UT with more good wins in the Big 12. Nneka Enemkpali is a splendid athlete. I think she has WNBA potential due to her athleticism.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
ETT- do you know why McGee-Stafford wasn't playing...? I just watched an aftergame about the WVU and Coach Aston was asked a question like "Getting this win and doing it without Imani McGee-Stafford, what kind of message do you think that sends to her?" Coach Aston's response was something along the lines of "It's all about the team, it's not about you and I think the message, hopefully, was sent. We talked before the game that this is about the team."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Texas isn't that hard to figure out. No matter how tough a team's schedule is (and Texas's has been reasonably tough), the pollsters do not like to vote for teams that have racked more losses than a certain limit, which last week was at 5 for one team (Purdue) and was generally at 4. The limit will tick upward by one loss about every two weeks the rest of the way to reach around 9 by pre-tourney time. Texas last week at 6 losses was outside the pollsters' comfort level, especially with the kind of bad loss to TCU a day before the last poll. The Longhorns likely can hope for getting on the Others list this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom