OT : Who Has Comcast/Xfinity | The Boneyard

OT : Who Has Comcast/Xfinity

Reaction Score
Triple play cable TV, Phone and Internet bundle. Satisfied? Lose service at all?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It starts at $79.99 per month for new customers, but it gets more expensive. Add $10 for an upgrade to 210 channels, $10 for a DVR, $10+ for a modem rental, $16 in mandatory regional sports and some other gouging charge, plus taxes and fees. It winds up at about $140.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, it is pretty expensive. On the good side, very good customer service. Pretty much available 24/7. Hardly ever lose service. I get loads of On Demand. Can watch on numerous platforms. Internet is very fast. Plenty of bandwidth for numerous computers, tablets, phones.

However, just recently they have dropped B10 Network, SNY, BeIN Sports and made a couple channels I used to get in a basic package, now have to pay extra for (I'm not doing that, so basically I'm paying the same, but I get less channels now). Not real happy about that.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yea, it is pretty expensive. On the good side, very good customer service. Pretty much available 24/7. Hardly ever lose service. I get loads of On Demand. Can watch on numerous platforms. Internet is very fast. Plenty of bandwidth for numerous computers, tablets, phones.

However, just recently they have dropped B10 Network, SNY, BeIN Sports and made a couple channels I used to get in a basic package, now have to pay extra for (I'm not doing that, so basically I'm paying the same, but I get less channels now). Not real happy about that.
I can't like this. I can only like the idea of you getting your SNY, and sports back, and I certainly hope you do. I also can't like paying more for less. It stinks.

I know many have cut the cord on the BY, but that ain't gonna happen with Spectrum and me. SNY, SEC TV, B10 Network, P12 TV, FS1, and on and on. It sure does cost me. 3 boxes will soon be 2 though. Also the time has come to cut off most of the movie channels I get. I get all but Epix.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've been with Comcast forever - at least 35 years. I have Digital Preferred for 3 TVs, Hi Speed Internet and landline service. We pay $250 a month w/o any premium channels (HBO, Showtime etc.). As others have posted, Comcast is a very professional outfit. IMO it is a high quality product and equipment and excellent customer service, although it wasn't always that way. My biggest complaint about Comcast is that they market their TV channels in "packages" so that you end up paying for a bunch of crap channels that you will never watch.

When we lose power we lose landline phone service but other than during power outages, TV and internet are very reliable. On the few occasions that we have needed service it has been prompt.

However, we are about to cancel the landline service and most likely the Digital Preferred TV. I want to keep the internet service and reduce TV cable to basic cable. A month or so ago I scrolled through the channel guide and it looks like we never watch about 95% of the channels available. Mostly we watch streaming TV with Amazon Prime, Acorn and a couple of other streaming networks whose annual cost is less than one month of Comcast service.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Say what?

Seriously, you might be the first person I have ever heard say that. Good for you, I guess. But I am green with envy.

I have only cable internet these days. I think my car insurance costs less.

Reaction Score
I've been with Comcast forever - at least 35 years. I have Digital Preferred for 3 TVs, Hi Speed Internet and landline service. We pay $250 a month w/o any premium channels (HBO, Showtime etc.). As others have posted, Comcast is a very professional outfit. IMO it is a high quality product and equipment and excellent customer service, although it wasn't always that way. . .
When we lose power we lose landline phone service but other than during power outages, TV and internet are very reliable. On the few occasions that we have needed service it has been prompt.

However, we are about to cancel the landline service and most likely the Digital Preferred TV. I want to keep the internet service and reduce TV cable to basic cable. A month or so ago I scrolled through the channel guide and it looks like we never watch about 95% of the channels available. Mostly we watch streaming TV with Amazon Prime, Acorn and a couple of other streaming networks whose annual cost is less than one month of Comcast service.

This is exactly my situation. The cost is quite high, IMHO, but the service is really quite good.

I know my experiences are not typical, but the actual service techs who have been to my house are exceptional-- two of them once shoveled my long, steep driveway to get here, even though I was on my way out to do it.

Also, three years ago, the cable went down ON THE DAY OF THE FINAL FOUR GAME! It was a Sunday, and I was told they'd be out in a few days. I went out, literally to see if my AT&T phone service could give me streaming for that day. When I got home, there was a Comcast tech re-attaching the cable at the street level. (I think we gave him a bottle of nice bourbon. Shhh.)

We almost never lose service, the internet is very fast, and while I hate paying that bill, I have yet to find anyone better.

Interestingly, I was reading an article in Bloomberg last night that said that the cable companies aren't concerned with the millions of people cutting the cord-- because they just pass the costs onto the rest of us. That, I'm afraid, is the real issue -- not the actual service.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A couple of years ago I was having intermittent/poor quality reception. I called for service and the tech showed up early the next AM. He quickly found the problem and told me that all of my cabling was outdated (the builder's install) and he replaced all of the cables, connectors and splitters in the house except one cable going to the master bedroom (a TV we never watch anyway). Then he called for a line service crew and a couple of days later a cherry picker showed up and replaced all my service feed cables out to the box on the power pole. A distance of about 150 yards. All gratis!

I used to have problems with their on line techs. I think Comcast was scraping the bottom of the high school drop out barrel. Apparently the company wised up because that no longer seems to be the case.

Over the years we have had issues with several DVRs and modems. I simply take them in to the local Comcast office for a swap out - no questions asked. We are very pleased with the latest DVR version. Record multiple shows simultaneously and it has very large storage capacity. I have a dozen or more movies recorded and it is only at 20% usage.

Bottom line is that I certainly recommend Comcast if you are comfortable with the cost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
vtc, we must have the sane auto insurance. My insurance is 28% of my cable/internet.

Reaction Score

Interesting........Must be where I live because I still have SNY. I get the SEC Network and a few other sports stations. I love the fact that I can watch Netflixs without using my phone. But I am seriously thinking about the fire stick.

Reaction Score
Interesting...Must be where I live because I still have SNY. I get the SEC Network and a few other sports stations. I love the fact that I can watch Netflixs without using my phone. But I am seriously thinking about the fire stick.
Depends on the channel bundle no?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Say what?

Seriously, you might be the first person I have ever heard say that. Good for you, I guess. But I am green with envy.
Yea, they are really, really good. I've had Techs out on Sunday to fix stuff. Called them at 11:00 at night. Half the stuff you can do online. They are about as good as it gets for a company of their size.

The only problems I've ever had with them is the phone answerer people not knowing what channels they have.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting...Must be where I live because I still have SNY. I get the SEC Network and a few other sports stations. I love the fact that I can watch Netflixs without using my phone. But I am seriously thinking about the fire stick.
Yea, I think it probably has to do with where you live. I know the B10 Network was dropped for everyone unless you lived in a B10 school area.

Depends on the channel bundle no?
Not necessarily. I have the Sports Bundle, but no SNY.

Reaction Score
I wish that there was a lower cost alternative. After the final episode of Game of Thrones, I plan to try the absolute lowest cost cable service to see how it works out.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I wish that there was a lower cost alternative. After the final episode of Game of Thrones, I plan to try the absolute lowest cost cable service to see how it works out.
That is until you find out one or two of these spinoffs are as incredible as they're shaping up to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom