OT: Who else loves the Fall? | The Boneyard

OT: Who else loves the Fall?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A few weeks late with this thread, but I cant be the only one around here that loves the Fall....:cool:

Its been fall for a few weeks.... but definitely hasnt felt like it yet......... at least here in the South. 89 degrees right now with a heat index of 97 Head bang All these above normal high temperatures have delayed the fall foliage season by 7-10 days. Areas of the state that would be near peak right now (the peaks above 6,000 feet) ... are still pretty much green.

But enough of that rant..... Fall is my favorite season... for a myriad of reasons. The often oppressive heat and humidity finally breaks... crisp fall nights.... Football season has hit its stride..... the start of basketball season, MLB Playoffs.... the last few weeks of grass cutting season, the end of the threat of stinging insects...... the turning colors of the leaves...... day trips to the mountains...... cruising down the Blue Ridge Parkway.....

One of my favorite spots on the Blue Ridge Parkway.... Price Lake... Milepost 296

gal-foliage-15-jpg.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Definitely me too. My favorite season for hiking. Although fall is a crap shoot around here, sometimes the snow starts flying fairly early and more or less shuts down the high country.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
By far my favorite season of the year because:
My favorite team starts lacing then up again so I know the season is close.
Homecoming.
My second favorite sports also starts.
The gas & electric bill is the best it will be all year.
I can make a fire outside every night-if I want to.
The foliage is spectacular
I can have a pumpkin Muffins from Wawa every morning.
1538779801886.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I have a favorite. But I have a least favorite - hint - its coming next.

Loved the color, temperatures and such when we lived in the east - almost certainly my favorite when we were there. Followed by the spring, the flowers got me every year. Summer, with its humidity didn't do it so much, because even the shore was nice in the late spring and early winter.

Here in Arizona, summer has its plus side - everything but the temperature. But the warm evenings are really, really nice (remember, low humidity), the monsoon season can be really neat to watch and, except for the electric bill, I like it. Again, not a favorite season, but a contender. The downside of fall is it gets very cool in the evenings, to the point of downright chilly, while still hottish during the day.

Conclusion - I like fall, summer and spring.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
By far my favorite season of the year because:
My favorite team starts lacing then up again so I know the season is close.
Homecoming.
My second favorite sports also starts.
The gas & electric bill is the best it will be all year.
I can make a fire outside every night-if I want to.
The foliage is spectacular
I can have a pumpkin Muffins from Wawa every morning.
View attachment 34930

Pardon my ignorance but Wawa is what? Sounds like an electric company.

Reaction Score
I live in Phoenix. We mainly just have summer here, which is fine with me. I do like fall anyway, though, because it's football season and time for baseball playoffs (YANKEES!!).

But next week I'm going to visit my son in North Jersey. We're driving from there up to Cooperstown, NY to see the Baseball HOF, then up around the tops of the Finger Lakes to Geneva. Returning down between Cayuga Lake and Seneca Lake and back to NJ on the South side of the Lakes. Can't imagine it won't be spectacular somewhere along there, North/South-wise. I was in Ithaca (South end of Cayuga) once on October 11 and that was the perfect time. This will be a week later, but with global warming and all....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wawa is a combination of 24 X 7 combination convenience store, gas station, and deli.
Famous for hoagies hopefully I don't have to explain that. They have their own brand of bake goods, several flavors of coffee, ice cream and soft pretzels. It's like one day God looked at a 7Eleven and said you know what, we can do much better.

About Us: Who We Are, Our History, Community Outreach & More | Wawa

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
92 in the shade here today. (Great book by the way) We might get some relief next week. Not as much seasonal change here as there was back in Pennsylvania. But winter is not as rough here either. Can't wait for UConn wbb.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I liked the fall when I lived in northern New England. But down in the mid-Atlantic, spring is the season. I have lovely azaleas and daffodils and dogwoods in my yard. Lots of cherry trees in the local neighborhood. In the north, fall is intense; down here spring is intense.

Now I really don't like the fall because the days become shorter. I hate driving to work in the dark.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wawa is a combination of 24 X 7 combination convenience store, gas station, and deli.
Famous for hoagies hopefully I don't have to explain that. They have their own brand of bake goods, several flavors of coffee, ice cream and soft pretzels. It's like one day God looked at a 7Eleven and said you know what we can do much better.

About Us: Who We Are, Our History, Community Outreach & More | Wawa
When I first moved to Philly, I too was puzzled by the seemingly silly name, but the brand is iconic, and their hoagies are really good. A classmate of mine lived near the dairy, and we got all the cow manure we wanted for free for our vegetable garden. About 15 years later, I knew the “dairy master.”

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
At least here in the South... Fall is the season for small town festivals. I know I would rather be outside in 70 degree weather than 90 degree heat... Seems like every weekend their is a festival somewhere....plenty of small ones.... then there are huge ones... like the Lexington BBQ Festival... which draws about 150,000 people to a town of 20,000..... and the Carolina Renaissance Fair..... every weekend until the middle of November. Very smart to have outdoor festivals in the fall.......70 degree weather beats 90 degree weather

Now I really don't like the fall because the days become shorter. I hate driving to work in the dark.

Thats the only real drawback. During the spring/summer...... alot of times I dont start yardwork until 6:45pm at the earliest.... and if its really hot.... more like 7:45pm. Nowadays... if I dont start by 4:30.... i wont finish by the time the news starts at 6.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
In the Mid-South there's not much of a fall. Just the welcome respite from the humidity. To Northenerers, we just have one long fall. Maybe a month's worth of winter.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Here's some fall color in the mountains a bit northeast of Seattle last week. It really was this bright, I didn't do any post production fiddling with the image. It has snowed many places since then however.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
picture of rain tree - Bing images

In central Florida, color is largely displayed in the golden rain tree. The top is what it looks like now; then in a couple of weeks, the yellow will turn into red.
Climate change has been mentioned above, and as a symbol thereof, I read that our September this year was slightly hotter than was July and August. That's unprecedented.
So we're still at 90 degree days, or a tick or 2 less, here in October, but the early mornings have descended from 78 to 72. A very different environment for the early gardener. In a week or 2, we may go down to 69. Be still my heart.
Still, I expect most of October won't be a midday relief.
What struck me as a Jersey boy moving here, is that in late fall & winter, a too cool day still has a warm sun, unlike the north.
And speaking of gardening, autumn means the end of summer annuals and the beginning of snapdragon and mums season.
And I join all who look forward to our ladies resuming and college football. My newspaper lists more than 2 dozen games on the telly today. Couch potatoing I shall be.

Reaction Score
WaWa was a 7/11 type convenient/gas facilities, with great ice cream. Like all things it has evolved and gotten bigger. In my sleepy town of Downingtown, Pa it was tiny. Today it's competing with Scranton for size/population. No more sleepy. In Lancaster County.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
About 15 years later, I knew the “dairy master.”

?? I suspect I just need another cup or two of coffee, but I don't get it. Horse manure is excellent, but it has to "cool" off for months or be limed to cool it off. Any such issue with cow manure?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Love the fall with its beautiful colors.

Unfortunately winter follows....

On the West coast of Florida in the Clearwater area we have Fall followed by Summer, then Fall, etc. :D

In CT, we'd take a ride down Route 9 from Rocky Hill to Old Saybrook. Past Middletown, the foliage was spectacular. Even in the Winter after a brief Spring thaw, the rock faces of the cuts they made building the road would show beautiful colors as the ice buildup would thaw then freeze again. A truly beautiful stretch of road.

The Kancamaugus (sp) Highway in New Hampshire is also spectacular.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

In central Florida, color is largely displayed in the golden rain tree. The top is what it looks like now; then in a couple of weeks, the yellow will turn into red.
Climate change has been mentioned above, and as a symbol thereof, I read that our September this year was slightly hotter than was July and August. That's unprecedented.
So we're still at 90 degree days, or a tick or 2 less, here in October, but the early mornings have descended from 78 to 72. A very different environment for the early gardener. In a week or 2, we may go down to 69. Be still my heart.
Still, I expect most of October won't be a midday relief.
What struck me as a Jersey boy moving here, is that in late fall & winter, a too cool day still has a warm sun, unlike the north.
And speaking of gardening, autumn means the end of summer annuals and the beginning of snapdragon and mums season.
And I join all who look forward to our ladies resuming and college football. My newspaper lists more than 2 dozen games on the telly today. Couch potatoing I shall be.

Less ticks is always better! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
?? I suspect I just need another cup or two of coffee, but I don't get it. Horse manure is excellent, but it has to "cool" off for months or be limed to cool it off. Any such issue with cow manure?
I can't recall the exact job title, but a friend of mine was at the top of the organizational chart at the dairy. His people oversaw all the processing of milk and other products. I guess one could say he was the "big cheese." (As an aside, he had an interesting background--a White guy who went to a Historically Black University on a basketball scholarship.)

Our veggies grew well. I don't remember the manure being warm, just air temp. The manure was free and plentiful. My friend had an old station wagon and would get a trash can full each trip. The drive was about half a mile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom