OT- Whats your favorite coffee filter? | The Boneyard

OT- Whats your favorite coffee filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I love me some Melitta white cone filters. And sometimes a brown one will do. But who likes the basket white ones?

Reaction Score
I love me some Melitta white cone filters. And sometimes a brown one will do. But who likes the basket white ones?
The white ones are bleached. We java folks prefer the natural unbleached brown. Back at ya: What method do you use to heat the water? I've used an electric tea kettle for years, works great, however, the current one is acting up and I'm going to have to replace it soon. I don't think they make this wired unit type any longer, just the wired base with an independent lift-off kettle.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The white ones are bleached. We java folks prefer the natural unbleached brown. Back at ya: What method do you use to heat the water? I've used an electric tea kettle for years, works great, however, the current one is acting up and I'm going to have to replace it soon. I don't think they make this wired unit type any longer, just the wired base with an independent lift-off kettle.
Right, go unbleached. I'm trying to eliminate as many chemicals as possible from my diet and changing filters was an easy switch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
upload_2016-6-6_15-2-57.png

Reaction Score
Keurig :)
Keurig is good ...if your don't mind the potential leaching of aluminum and No. 7 plastic into your daily coffee, which include polystyrene, styrene, and who knows what else, and if you don't mind being environmentally irresponsible while contributing to the 8+ billion non biodegradable plastic pods cast into landfills each year (2013 numbers), and if you don't mind paying 50% to 100% more per cup of java.

Bottoms up! :rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Keurig is good ...if your don't mind the potential leaching of aluminum and No. 7 plastic into your daily coffee, which include polystyrene, styrene, and who knows what else, and if you don't mind being environmentally irresponsible while contributing to the 8+ billion non biodegradable plastic pods cast into landfills each year (2013 numbers), and if you don't mind paying 50% to 100% more per cup of java.

Bottoms up! :rolleyes:

I wondered how long it would take.

Consider that when Keurig came on the scene and started kicking traditional coffee industry ass, the industry profits were threatened and they had to respond. So they started a campaign of mis(dis) information to frighten away Keurig customers "psssst, there is potential leaching of aluminum and OH MY GOD #7 plastic" - similar to the successful campaign the bleached, refined, cane sugar industry did to the hi fructose sugar guys a couple of years ago. Thanks to the internet there is all sort of 'stuff" about Keurig, some factual and some not. However, the FDA has found that there is no contamination of product caused by leaching from the plastic pod. I'll take their word for it over that of a Neanderthal.

Currently, K cups are not recyclable (sort of), but I'll be gone long before the landfills fill up with plastic pods. Mine go in the trash and are 100% recycled by our local trash to energy plant. The grounds go in the compost pile.

I spent 22 years drinking Navy mid watch coffee. For the uninformed it comes in two flavors.
strong where a spoon will stand up in it and very strong where the coffee eats the spoon. I saw the inside of a mess deck coffee urn once. Since then I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what's in my coffee.

Tomorrow Am when you are enjoying your 1st cup think of this - "On average, home coffee reservoirs also had higher germ counts than both bathroom door handles and toilet seats." Excerpt from a Snopes article responding to some internet blogshit blasting Keurig for mold issues. The Snopes article basically agrees but points out that traditional coffee makers have the same issues.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm a K-cup guy myself. Not that I don't appreciate the waste issues, but it has several key advantages that suited us:

- I don't drink more than 3 (and sometimes only 2 or 1) cup of coffee a day (all at separate times), and I like my coffee strong-ish. There are a large variety of "bold" and "dark roast" coffees available. A pot would be wasted.
- conversely my wife drinks decaffeinated coffee exclusively. One or no cups a day. Again, a pot would be a waste.
- when my Mom was here, and some of our visitors, we need to supply a milder brew.

And I like different coffees, although I do admit there are a few flavors I could drink consistently.

So I get multiple flavors, I get "cup at a time", and the ability to make other types for other folks.

A more interesting question is what coffee folks like. Perhaps a topic for another day.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How soon they forget. where have you gone, Joe Dimaggio?

Reaction Score
...And I like different coffees, although I do admit there are a few flavors I could drink consistently.
So I get multiple flavors, I get "cup at a time", and the ability to make other types for other folks.
As do we who use Melitta.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
How about French Press? Seems to have most of the advantages of Kourig and few of the disadvantages.

Reaction Score
How about French Press? Seems to have most of the advantages of Kourig and few of the disadvantages.
Environmentally: Best
Flavor & freshness: Best (especially if you grind the beans by the pot, right as you brew)
Pain in *ss: Worst (but no biggie if coffee is truly a relaxing event for you)

Reaction Score
...Tomorrow Am when you are enjoying your 1st cup think of this - "On average, home coffee reservoirs also had higher germ counts than both bathroom door handles and toilet seats." Excerpt from a Snopes article responding to some internet blogshit blasting Keurig for mold issues. The Snopes article basically agrees but points out that traditional coffee makers have the same issues.
Ahh ...another reason why some prefer the Melitta method, no water reservoir.

20140619-pourover-melitta.jpg

We pour freshly-heated preferred-temperature Brita filtered water over each individually-measured, individually-preferred coffee type with individually-preferred grind ...for each and every cup. ;)

But, as in everything, there are different strokes for different folks. I raise my morning mug to each of us getting to enjoy our own preferred cup of java (or tea). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom