OT: What was Tom Brokaw thinking? | The Boneyard

OT: What was Tom Brokaw thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He seems so smart.

Over the weekend, venerable and retired NBC broadcaster Tom Brokaw took a shot at the University of Alabama and it’s perceived academic weaknesses. While speaking at commencement at Ole Miss on Saturday, Brokaw took a jab at the school, but more than likely he was just joking.

“I’m so relieved to be speaking to a graduating class from Ole Miss,” Brokaw said. “If I were speaking at Alabama, I would have to use smaller words and shorter sentences
.”

Alabama fires back at Tom Brokaw after speech- Today's U

Reaction Score
He seems so smart.

Over the weekend, venerable and retired NBC broadcaster Tom Brokaw took a shot at the University of Alabama and it’s perceived academic weaknesses. While speaking at commencement at Ole Miss on Saturday, Brokaw took a jab at the school, but more than likely he was just joking.

“I’m so relieved to be speaking to a graduating class from Ole Miss,” Brokaw said. “If I were speaking at Alabama, I would have to use smaller words and shorter sentences
.”

Alabama fires back at Tom Brokaw after speech- Today's U

That which is a joke in Ole Miss is an insult in Alabama! As a national figure that was stupid...

Reaction Score
I called a friend of mine from Alabama and he responded with... "nu unh!"

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Teleporter or teleporter? :) Humn, software won't let me type t e l e p r o m p t e r

I typed it 4 or 5 times and it keeps coming out Teletubbies. On topic, I guess Tom's retirement and old age isn't quite as golden as he thought it would be.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I typed it 4 or 5 times and it keeps coming out Teletubbies. On topic, I guess Tom's retirement and old age isn't quite as golden as he thought it would be.

He is very ill, cancer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Teleporter or teleporter? :) Humn, software won't let me type t e l e p r o m p t e r
Hmmm, maybe that's what happened. I thought I typed prompter. ????

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
OMG - you can't crack a funny in today's world. And the reason - we, as a people, have begun to simply take everything said at face value. Lets assume an educated man thinks that folks at Alabama can't use full sentences. Please.

Do you really want to know what ASU fans call U of A - or vice versa.

The line can be crossed, and I'm a firm believer that the line exists (and that fans of sports programs often cross it for that matter) but this quip from Brokaw was, I am sure, a dry wit humor. Doesn't offend me, wouldn't offend me if I was connected to the referenced school, either.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Q: How do you get a Tenn grad off your front porch?
A: You pay him for the pizza!

Q: A UConn fan and a Tenn fan are both in the third grade...which one is bigger?
A: The Tenn fan...he's 18!

Q: How do you make Tenn cookies?
A: Put em' on the court and beat em for 40 minutes!

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If the only way to be funny is being insulting, we really have dropped to the lowest common denominator in human intelligence. One would think, with a bit of cleverness, Brokaw could have taken a jab at Alabama without denigrating the students there.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
If the only way to be funny is being insulting, we really have dropped to the lowest common denominator in human intelligence. One would think, with a bit of cleverness, Brokaw could have taken a jab at Alabama without denigrating the students there.

Everyone could use a little 'lightening up'

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

Apparently there's a population who identify with the Don Rickles' School of Hard Knocks.

Reaction Score

I don't see the big deal at all! He took a shot at being funny, and I have no problem when the intent was to be funny.

Reaction Score
One of the first rules of giving a graduation speech is to say something funny....you get the audience on your side so they listen to the substance of your message....nothing wrong with poking fun at a rival...particularly by being so absurd that the target of the jab shouldn't have any angst whatsoever ....no harm no foul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom