OT: What was Cora thinking? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What was Cora thinking?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What would give you any confidence in Sale to close ?

He was willing to close with him.

So use Whitlock. Frankly Whitlock is your best rp right now.

Not going to him in the 8th back to back days almost blew up in his face twice

Reaction Score
Not about pitching, but don’t you think the Sox could use a better defensive right fielder?

Lord I think I can cover more ground than that guy.
But he has a cannon for an arm. Can you match that as well?

Reaction Score
He was willing to close with him.

So use Whitlock. Frankly Whitlock is your best rp right now.

Not going to him in the 8th back to back days almost blew up in his face twice
Obviously Whitlock is the best rp, he has been all year. Brasier and Robles were both throwing the ball really well and Whitlock hadn't been stretched out in a while due to his late season injury. There was no reason to trust Sale more than Brasier for an inning last night.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yankee fan but actually enjoying the Red Sox take it to Tampa Bay. Sox are playing well at crunch time have the fire. There is a lot to say for intangibles and faith in Cora is working for them. He seems to bring out the best in them. They're probably going to be underdogs all the way so here's to you Bosox. Hope you represent the American East Division well! As for the Yankees....................with some changes they will live to fight another day and meanwhile try to figure out what these remaining teams are doing right.

Reaction Score
I thought not pinch running for Vasquez initially when he got to 2nd was the worst decision. If you're gonna pinch run for him when he gets to 3rd, why not when he's on 2nd? No way he was scoring on a single to the outfield.

Oh, and if he brought in Sale, I would have been out buying a new TV today!

Anyhow, all's well that ends well!
Even Kike' said that he felt better about it when they ran for Vasquez...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Even Kike' said that he felt better about it when they ran for Vasquez...

I thought they'd do it when he got to 2nd base. Surprised they waited so long.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Renfroe had a really bad night...
Really? I think otherwise.

The throw home in the 8th was ill advised. They were not cutting down that run, but if Renfroe doesn't make the play on Arozarena in the first inning, E-Rod likely spirals like he did in Game 1.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Really? I think otherwise.

The throw home in the 8th was ill advised. They were not cutting down that run, but if Renfroe doesn't make the play on Arozarena in the first inning, E-Rod likely spirals like he did in Game 1.

He also misplayed the fly ball into a double in the 8th costing them a run, and he didn’t exactly hustle over to the ball before that throw.

Once he slowly went after that ball you can’t throw home. Compounded the mistake

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He also misplayed the fly ball into a double in the 8th costing them a run, and he didn’t exactly hustle over to the ball before that throw.

Once he slowly went after that ball you can’t throw home. Compounded the mistake
I think you are misremembering, because none of that happened (highlights are on YouTube. The Rays 8th is around 12:00 of the 18:12 video).

The first two hits in the 8th were doubles off the bat. The first one hit the base of the wall in right center. The second was further towards center and his throw back into the infield kept Kiermaier from even thinking about taking 3rd. The third hit was a single and I disagree that Renfroe was not hustling.

He met the ball at a specific point to get his momentum going toward his target. It was textbook except for the target. The throw home was unwarranted and I've already conceded that was ill-advised. Arozarena went to second on the throw. If Renfroe throws it in to second, Arozarena is standing on 1st base. Luckily it was all academic.

Here's a question...What was Bogaerts thinking when he weakly pulled an outside pitch to third base with runners on 1st & 3rd and 1 out in the 7th? He has shown much better bat control than that in the past. Get that ball in the air anywhere near mid outfield and Kike' scores.

Renfroe then keeps Arozarena at 2nd on the very next play (Flyball to right) and Bogaerts fails to cut it off. If not for Whitlock backing up third, it would have been all for naught.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cora's bullpen management is fine. The bullpen arms need to be improved. They were masterful in going through everyone on the staff except for Matt Barnes on Sunday, and were lucky to patch together four innings last night. My only question about last night is why Houck only went 1 inning.

Whatever. While the Sox have overachieved all year, they were not expected to compete for the title this year. I do not expect them to get to the World Series, but they were not expected to get through Tampa either. They are playing with house money, and I'm enjoying it.
Keep not expecting. It's worked a treat for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cora is the best. I trust his judgement.

Rule #1 of why you always wait until the last out in baseball to make a call. No shot clock or time clock to run out the game. Just gotta have a lead before 27 outs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom