OT: what on earth happened to bidwell tavern | The Boneyard

OT: what on earth happened to bidwell tavern

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Wanted wings last night and didn’t feel like driving out to j Timothy. Went to bidwell for the first time in years and the wings were gross. Didn’t even taste like they fried them. There was no discernible difference between their wings and Tyson ones you’d cook on a baking sheet. It was sad to see a place from my childhood fall so far. How long has it been like this for?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I haven't been there since leaving a Memorial Stadium game early (#tradition, #reStorred) like in 2001, but even thought then that they weren't as good as they had been in the past.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the same after they added on that new dining area.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Wanted wings last night and didn’t feel like driving out to j Timothy. Went to bidwell for the first time in years and the wings were gross. Didn’t even taste like they fried them. There was no discernible difference between their wings and Tyson ones you’d cook on a baking sheet. It was sad to see a place from my childhood fall so far. How long has it been like this for?
It ain't 1995 anymore.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hm. I've been several times recently and the wings and chili nachos were just as good as 10 years ago.

Having said that, Willibrew nachos still take the cake.
Willibrew nachos should be much more famous than they are. Unreal.
I never order nachos because they’re really not my thing, but my kids always do. I seldom indulge in theirs, unless we are at Willibrew, then I always do.

Reaction Score
J Timothy mention: The 21 Best Chicken Wings in America

>>J. TIMOTHY'S TAVERNE - PLAINVILLE, CONNECTICUT
The dirt on J. Timothy's is dirt. That's what this Connecticut institution calls its signature fried-sauced-fried-again preparation, allegedly named after the oldest player on a softball team of bar regulars. The result is delicious: that double-deep-fried shell finishes a few shades darker than hot-sauce orange and delivers super-crisp bites. The dirtying process puts sauce into the fryer, which mucks it up and necessitates frequent oil changes, so you know you're getting the good stuff. Timothy's was founded in 1985, but the building it's in was built in 1789, so it's pretty much as old as dirt, too. (That's it for sentences about dirt. Promise.)<<

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Bidwell was always very good....

Our daughter’s swim team traveled to a meet out at UConn a few years ago and remembering how good Bidwell was, we took our friends to dinner there.

It was embarrassing to have recommended it.

The place looked shabby, the service was indifferent and the food could have been served at an Applebee’s. There are just much, much better options around now.

Reaction Score
Used to go for rocks and wings night back 10+ years ago and they were pretty solid but havent been back since and have heard from a few that the wing quality has gone way downhill. I always opt though for willibrew, love their beers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom