OT: What hobby keeps you busy ? | The Boneyard

OT: What hobby keeps you busy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I retired a few months ago, and I'm already going nuts with all this free time.

What's your favorite hobby? Any plans for beginning something new?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I hunt,fish,build guns,shoot guns,watch sports and do yard work to keep the old lady happy lol.

Reaction Score
Learn an instrument? I'm a drummer. Playing music is my biggest passion and what I do with a lot of my free time.

Photography? A lot of people are getting into that lately and good cameras are reasonable.

I used to buy junky motorcycles and rebuild them (and sell them). A lot of satisfaction in that for me. You can obviously do the same thing with cars, furniture, bicycles, antiques, etc.

Home brewing - another very popular hobby these days.

Wood working/metal working.

Lots of my friends hike and kayak (not my cup of tea).

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I hunt,fish,build guns,shoot guns,watch sports and do yard work to keep the old lady happy lol.

Know anything about Daisy BB guns? I've been looking for one to help persuade a groundhog to leave my garden alone. I hit him with paintballs, and he don't even acknowledge he's been hit.

I'd like to get a nice vintage one like the one I had as a kid. I think it was made in the 40's or 50's.

Reaction Score

How would you recommend getting started hunting in CT? I have never even shot a gun and have no idea how to start. I heard a podcast with this hunter named Steve Rinella and have become obsessed with the idea, read 2 hunting books, listened to dozens of podcasts on hunting, etc but am totally clueless. I told myself last week that I don't want to eat meat until I kill an animal but I am 6 days in and am getting tired of eating beans.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Learn an instrument?

I've tried. I actually posted a while ago for suggestions for a keyboard. I always wanted to learn to play the piano. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

When I was in junior high I tried several instruments. Just couldn't keep up. They ended up allowing me to repeat wood shop every year. That's how I ended up at a vocational high school :)

Last edited:

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Know anything about Daisy BB guns? I've been looking for one to help persuade a groundhog to leave my garden alone. I hit him with paintballs, and he don't even acknowledge he's been hit.

I'd like to get a nice vintage one like the one I had as a kid. I think it was made in the 40's or 50's.

Use a pointed pellet.should work just fine.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Weed, everything is better with weed. (Except operating a motor vehicle or dangerous equipment)

That said have you considered Coursera or any of the other on-line learning sites? I use the digital image processing course to initiate the postdocs to image processing, it's OK. It's a good way to pass time if you are interested in the subject.

As for physical activities, growing weed is pretty fun.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Use a pointed pellet.should work just fine.

I'm not looking to kill it. Just tap it in the ass to get its attention. I'd use my co2 pistol, but I think that would do a bit more damage than I want.

I'm probably just going to trap it and let it go a few miles away. I have a friend who is always bragging about his garden. Maybe I'll drop it by his house.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Weed, everything is better with weed. (Except operating a motor vehicle or dangerous equipment)

What do you think the groundhog has been eating? :)

image.jpeg

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I'm not looking to kill it. Just tap it in the ass to get its attention. I'd use my co2 pistol, but I think that would do a bit more damage than I want.

I'm probably just going to trap it and let it go a few miles away. I have a friend who is always bragging about his garden. Maybe I'll drop it by his house.
You would be surprised how difficult it is to kill a ground hog. A .17 cal pellet, is not going to inflict terminal damage unless you really hit it right. I guessing that it is feeding well at Tom's Backyard Buffet, it probably could take two or three before noticing.
You might see about getting coyotes to come by the place, they can keep your rodent population in check.
And be sure that the state doesn't have laws about live trapping (or at least that they are unaware of your activity). Killing animals (vermin) is a property owners right for the most part, but live trap and release is often a nasty process. Think frightened animal urinating defecating, vomiting, and spraying whatever from its anal gland (they exist in all rodents) and you understand why it's not in your interests to do it.

Reaction Score
I'm not kidding when I say you should download pokemon go and learn to play. It's free, you'll stay active, keeps the mind active, and most of all it's a ton of fun. I've seen multiple 60+ year olds playing and got my grandfather to do so. he was apprehensive at first but he's addicted now.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
How would you recommend getting started hunting in CT? I have never even shot a gun and have no idea how to start. I heard a podcast with this hunter named Steve Rinella and have become obsessed with the idea, read 2 hunting books, listened to dozens of podcasts on hunting, etc but am totally clueless. I told myself last week that I don't want to eat meat until I kill an animal but I am 6 days in and am getting tired of eating beans.
e

I grew up off Baldwin st in Waterbury CT. I moved to Missouri at 15. Never once been hunting or held a rifle. I actually just bought one off this redneck and taught my self how to hunt and shoot. He showed me the basics just like any gun store would.most shooting ranges will let you rent what ever gun you want to shoot,and show you how if needed. Hell everything is on YouTube these days. As far as where you can hunt in CT? May have to find private land and get permission. Look into qouta hunts in the state to apply for. Here in Kentucky You can center your name into a drawing to hunt on Fort Knox.we also have WMA here"wildlife management areas" its public land anyone can hunt. Can only take deer with a bow on them. Best advise would be is to purchase a rifle and learn how to use it and operate it safely. Practice and know what you are capable of before ever taken a shot at an animal.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You would be surprised how difficult it is to kill a ground hog. A .17 cal pellet, is not going to inflict terminal damage unless you really hit it right. I guessing that it is feeding well at Tom's Backyard Buffet, it probably could take two or three before noticing.
You might see about getting coyotes to come by the place, they can keep your rodent population in check.
And be sure that the state doesn't have laws about live trapping (or at least that they are unaware of your activity). Killing animals (vermin) is a property owners right for the most part, but live trap and release is often a nasty process. Think frightened animal urinating defecating, vomiting, and spraying whatever from its anal gland (they exist in all rodents) and you understand why it's not in your interests to do it.

I have two cats. The coyotes don't scare me much. The cats can just climb a tree. But fishers are another story.

As for my garden - local wildlife seems to be very happy.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I follow the advice of my retirement plan managers at Dolittle and Fishmore, LLC.

I try to get on the water 3 to 5 days a week, year round. Sometimes the nastiest part of winter keeps me off the river for a week or two.

I also go to the gym almost every day. No sure you could call it a hobby, since it's just a continuation of cardiac rehab.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I recently started to do some wood working. Nothing spectacular, but it's a lot of fun. Also gives me an excuse to buy lots of new tools

I went to a vocational high school, and was a cabinetmaker for a while. I'd get back into it, but with a 650 sq ft house, I have no room for the tools.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score

Sounds good. I do that here with raccoon.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I always misuse the word ironic. Is it ironic that a Tom Emery is Big Red and a Tom Emery created the Boneyard?

I got some great comps at Foxwoods a few years ago because they thought I was big red. I had great hair and weighed 130 pounds. Not sure they thought that one through.

Reaction Score
I went to a vocational high school, and was a cabinetmaker for a while. I'd get back into it, but with a 650 sq ft house, I have no room for the tools.
build the shed to work in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS