OT: Want to take golf lesson - Bristol area | The Boneyard

OT: Want to take golf lesson - Bristol area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can someone recommend a good instructor in Bristol, or the surrounding area? Thanks.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Can someone recommend a good instructor in Bristol, or the surrounding area? Thanks.
It's not in the immediate area, but they've got good instructors at Chris Cote's in Portland.

Reaction Score
I don't know what you'd learn other than how to play 18 holes and only remember 11 of them.

Hey cheap shot. Shot 73 yesterday and can drop the ball today on the course and close vicinity of each of those shots. And i did have 2 Captain and Cokes, 2 nips of Mcgillicuddy's, 1 Coney Island Root beer and 5 Corona Lights.........and after playing we went out and drank!;)

And to the OT, Chet Dunlop is supposed to be pretty good (ex-Meriden guy) as well as the guys from Chris Cotes so the suggestions thus far are pretty good. Think Dick Bierkan former pro at Lyman is at Chris's now. Also John at Tallwood, his last name escapes me, is ranked really high as a teacher.

Reaction Score

Gary Sasso at Chippanee
Jack Mconache at North Ridge or he is also at the driving range at Welch road.
Paul Brown at Southington CC

Reaction Score
Gary Sasso at Chippanee
Jack Mconache at North Ridge or he is also at the driving range at Welch road.
Paul Brown at Southington CC

Hey DB what's up? Hitting them good?

Yeah Jack's good too no doubt. Paul Brown is at SCC now huh? People I knew really liked him when he was at Meriden/Hunter back in the day and when he did lessons at the range in Cromwell.

Reaction Score
Hey DB what's up? Hitting them good?

Yeah Jack's good too no doubt. Paul Brown is at SCC now huh? People I knew really liked him when he was at Meriden/Hunter back in the day and when he did lessons at the range in Cromwell.

Hi Mau. Played is lots of CSGA events with Jack over the years. Great player and a great guy. Never took lessons from Gary Sasso but know plenty who have. Gary is also a great guy. Took lessons for a summer with Paul Brown about 20 years ago at the range in Cheshire. Started as a 16 and got as low as a 4 after his instruction. Paul was\is an excellent instructor. Last I knew he was playing and teaching at Southington.

I'm on the DL this year and have not touched a club. Ruptured long neck bicep tendon in my right arm and the rotator cuff is also ruptured. Surgery scheduled late in June. I hear recovery from surgery will be several months :-(.

Nicely done shooting a 73 yesterday. What did you shoot on the back? :) Hope all is well with you.

DB

Reaction Score
Hi Mau. Played is lots of CSGA events with Jack over the years. Great player and a great guy. Never took lessons from Gary Sasso but know plenty who have. Gary is also a great guy. Took lessons for a summer with Paul Brown about 20 years ago at the range in Cheshire. Started as a 16 and got as low as a 4 after his instruction. Paul was\is an excellent instructor. Last I knew he was playing and teaching at Southington.

I'm on the DL this year and have not touched a club. Ruptured long neck bicep tendon in my right arm and the rotator cuff is also ruptured. Surgery scheduled late in June. I hear recovery from surgery will be several months :-(.

Nicely done shooting a 73 yesterday. What did you shoot on the back? :) Hope all is well with you.

DB

Sorry to hear of the injury bug that has hit you - sucks. Hope you have a healthy and speedy recovery pal.

Not the same with Jack not being at Pine Valley huh?

Reaction Score
I highly recommend Gary Sassu. Great teacher and person. I have taken lessons from him and he has really helped my game. I am not great ( 11 handicap ), but he takes what you do and improves your game. He also has given lessons to my son ( since he was 10) and my nephew. They are in their early 20's and both 3 handicaps

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear of the injury bug that has hit you - sucks. Hope you have a healthy and speedy recovery pal.

Not the same with Jack not being at Pine Valley huh?
MAU are you playingin St. Joe's ( The beast tourney ) on Friday. I unfortunately can't , but my son and my number 1 man that works for me are. Say hello to them if you are ( DJ and Justin ). They both knew Bob Biesteck well. I really miss The Beast ( a gentle giant )

Reaction Score
Tim Buczak at Lyman Orchards. Worth the drive. He learned from a top 20
Instructor ranked by golf digest. Call the course and schedule an appointment. Best in CT.

Reaction Score
Ken Doyle at Hopmeadow CC is a super guy and an acclaimed teacher. He teaches nonmembers by appointment. Golf Digest rated him 2d behind Suzy Whaley in 2015-2016 for Connecticut. He's been first many times before. He is good friends with Jim McLean and David Ledbetter, who he introduced me to at a US Open.

Reaction Score
Chris Cote's is a great golf shop.

Look into Kevin Giancola out of Golf Quest in Southington.

Reaction Score
Chris Cote also has a shop and staff at Golf Quest in Southington that would be more convenient for you. Good staff. Kevin Giancola used to teach there before Chris Cote took over and was an excellent teacher although a little full of himself.
Best teacher I've found was Don Ghlia in Manchester. Quite a few local pros go to him when they need straighten out.

Reaction Score
MAU are you playingin St. Joe's ( The beast tourney ) on Friday. I unfortunately can't , but my son and my number 1 man that works for me are. Say hello to them if you are ( DJ and Justin ). They both knew Bob Biesteck well. I really miss The Beast ( a gentle giant )

No I haven't received any info on it for a few years now since Robert passed. Always enjoyed that tourney because it was one of the few times a year we could enjoy each others company after being great friends through HS and beyond. Maybe we play together next year if you have an opening and you get it to me or I can certainly get a group of Robert's old pals to play. Yeah, I drive by the house he grew up in every couple weeks to visit my family and the memories are forever, the smile comes now though after a couple years of sadness. We had some great times and times I will cherish and many i can't even talk about - yes, even on the Boneyard LOL. Great guy glad you got to know him he made everyone laugh. Miss him too. Thanks for catching up.

Reaction Score
Back in early June when I started this thread I was just getting into golf. Glad I did and thanks for all the help.
Based on the recommendations from the 'Yard, I took lesson from Gary Sassu. Best decision I could have made -- Gary is an awesome instructor who has the ability to see your swing in such detail, then immediately offer prescriptive advice.

I've now been bitten by the golf bug. I haven't gotten out on the golf course much, but I've been practicing a lot, and just built a simulator in my shed. Really enjoying golf even though I'm not real good at it yet. Thanks to all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom