OT: VT - Pitt | The Boneyard

OT: VT - Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching this game and realizing that Narducci is on his 3rd year makes one realize just what a mess Diaco inherited and how poorly (for whatever reason) UCONN has developed in the same time frame.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I loved the scoring sequence when Pitt tied the score at 29. They run a trick end around with an OT carrying the ball, and he dives into the EZ from about four yards out. Then they run a shovel pass to a RB for the two point conversion.

That's all imaginative and fairly low risk offense in the red zone. Why can't we figure out how to run any plays like that in the red zone? These plays don't require superior athletes or rocket science play diagramming...just simple, direct football plays.

Reaction Score
I loved the scoring sequence when Pitt tied the score at 29. They run a trick end around with an OT carrying the ball, and he dives into the EZ from about four yards out. Then they run a shovel pass to a RB for the two point conversion.

That's all imaginative and fairly low risk offense in the red zone. Why can't we figure out how to run any plays like that in the red zone? These plays don't require superior athletes or rocket science play diagramming...just simple, direct football plays.

Yeah, sure - I can just imagine the outrage/calls to "fire everyone" if Diaco/Verducci called that play and it failed at this point....

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah, sure - I can just imagine the outrage/calls to "fire everyone" if Diaco/Verducci called that play and it failed at this point....

So instead we are stuck with three dives up the middle and a chip shot FG, or a fake fake FG?? I think most Husky fans would welcome a different approach at this point, even if it didn't work.

Reaction Score
So instead we are stuck with three dives up the middle and a chip shot FG, or a fake fake FG?? I think most Husky fans would welcome a different approach at this point, even if it didn't work.

... or ill-timed, wrong receiver, off target passes to RB/WR play-makers.

There were more than a few people I saw/came in contact with that were wigging out over the Johnson HB Option attempt. Wrong time, wrong down, wrong yardage, etc...

All for different approaches but don't kid yourself that people won't second guess/complain outside a pass the the TEs that everyone is screaming for.

Reaction Score
Watching this game and realizing that Narducci is on his 3rd year makes one realize just what a mess Diaco inherited and how poorly (for whatever reason) UCONN has developed in the same time frame.

We didn't have the budget to sign him. If you're going to sign a coach like that to a G5 school then you had better be able to offset the hardship with a well heeled staff.

Instead we went the bargain basement route with the coach that would help Warde Manuel win a press conference for once. The first thing Diaco does is hire an Offensive Coordinator who wasn't ever allowed to call the plays.

There were red flags with Diaco from the getgo.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Interesting to hear the announcers comment about Narduzzi...."it's great to see a defensive coach hire an OC and let them run their own offense". I am amazed more defensive coaches don't do this. They think of offense as a necessary evil whose role is to not put the defense in a bad position.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am surprised a Narduzzi defense looks this porous.

Pitt could legitimately be 7-1, maybe even 8-0. Their losses have been by 7, 3 and 1 point. Their defense tends to give up a lot of big plays late in 2nd half and again in 4th quarter, mostly due to a poor secondary and Narduzzi's/Conklin's inability to make adjustments on the fly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cuse beat them with that monster who terrorized us.

Opponent scoring by quarter:
1: 47
2: 78
3: 55
4: 79

That said, Pitt has some great offensive weapons in Connor, Henderson and Weah so they can score with anyone. Peterman is also doing a yeoman's job at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom